Why do I need a GPS ?

alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

I get this question from many new members who are not convinced to spend extra money on a GPS which they consider an extra gizmo in the car !!

Until recently, a Global Positioning System (GPS) was used only to help you navigate unfamiliar territory by showing the location of your car on a map. These days, the convergence of multiple technologies has made it one of the most useful devices you could have with you on a drive.
[LEFT]Most of the GPS car navigation systems are produced to be small and portable so that it is possible for you to to take it from one car to another when you like. To be able to make it operate in your car, you'll need to plug it into your car cigarette lighter or some could work on batteries as well.

The advantages of having a GPS:
1.If your buddy is lost in the convoy, by just taking the co-ordinates you can determine his exact position.
2.If you like a place or navigating a route you can save a WAYPOINT then you can get back to it anytime you wish.
3.From my own experience I was driving on Abu Dhabi – Dubai road and it was foggy so I couldn’t tell when I was going to reach the turns or roundabouts so I put HOME as destination and it was guiding me with almost zero visibility

Lots of people normally feel lost or lack a sense of direction once they head into an unfamiliar area. When it comes to desert with big dunes or off-road it gets more complicated so you need a GPS with OFF-ROAD functionality. Many people think just by having an off-road function they think that they are fine, so let me explain what the real off-roaders mean by off-roading function.

1.When you turn your GPS to off road mode it gives a straight line from your point to destination[/LEFT]

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

[LEFT]2.Now check the following picture, you will notice that the car moved from the STARTING POINT and there is a second line linked to your car and it will keep following you wherever you are until you reach the DESTENATION. This is exactly what we want in a off-roading GPS [/LEFT]

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

[LEFT]Before you head out to buy yourself a car navigation system, you will probably want to read the opinions of different clients who have tried one out sooner than you. Although spending your time in learning about the various functions of each GPS system might appear to be useless, but it is going to surely aid you in the future any time you want it.

If you realize that you will not be using the GPS system frequently, then it might be better for you to get an affordable one. You will need to try to find one that offers you with voice directions along with graphics as you will not be able to look at the interface of the navigation system when you are driving.

There are many formats for the co-ordinates so make sure that you are compatible with our club’s format which is [hdddºmm.mmm’] overwise you are going to end up in the middle of nowhere.

In the drive of ( FIND ME IF YOU CAN I ) we did a small test to show our members if their GPSs were useful or not . I’m not trying to promote a brand name but from experience I think Garmin is the best because of the simplicity & off-roading functionality.
Example:
1. 276c
2. 205w
3. 255w
4. 265w

5. 1300
6. Montana 600 or 650
7. Dakota 20 ( like Montana software but very small )

Please don’t go for the Chinese one it is not that good for many reasons:
1. You could lose your date at anytime without a chance to make a back up.
2. Sometime your waypoints will disappear for no reason.
3. The GPS is slow model and could cause you delay while navigating.[/LEFT]

After all said above I hope our members can make the right decision to buy the GPS as a useful tool to have safer trips

Best Regards
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for nice Blog.

Additionally, with this unit you can get software package MapSource, which can help you to organize your data and, review and plan your tracks and routes. It allows you to transfer the data bi-directionally. Your PC can store much more information, then the unit and just before the trip you load all your relevant data into it. Additionally you can plan your routes and timings to arrive to deflation point on time and be never late.
Al Kurby
Advance
Advance

Very useful thread.

I am using both Garmic 276C and Oregon. As Bu Salem said, Garmin is best and the 276C is the most common one used for offroading. However, I like the Oregon because you can actually subscribe to a service where you will have Google Earth on your unit and actually see the terrain you are driving on instead of a blank monitor with lines and points.
Mukhallalati Basha
Advance
Advance

[CENTER]it's just the right article I was thinking about...

Thanks for sharing useful information...:045:
[/CENTER]
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

Al Kurby;3967 wrote:Very useful thread.

I am using both Garmic 276C and Oregon. As Bu Salem said, Garmin is best and the 276C is the most common one used for offroading. However, I like the Oregon because you can actually subscribe to a service where you will have Google Earth on your unit and actually see the terrain you are driving on instead of a blank monitor with lines and points.
Nasser what is the price and where I can get Oregan, if interested?
Alosh
Advance
Advance

abu samil now i know your home and garage muneeb,,,,lol
Red Scorpion
Advance
Advance

Thanks for the useful info Bu Salem .. when is the next "Find Me If You Can Trip"? .. sounds fun and I would like to test my GPS .. will be watching for it.

'till then u guys take care.
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

Bu Salem...what came of that nice color large screen GPS unit you were testing ...did it live you exacting standards ? I was keen to get one from you when its ready
Al Kurby
Advance
Advance

Duck Commander;3978 wrote:Nasser what is the price and where I can get Oregan, if interested?

Try AMIT...Garmin agent for the UAE. I saw it at Carrefour too.
Mukhallalati Basha
Advance
Advance

[CENTER]I believe Garmin 205W is cool and good GPS device, I was advised to get it where it's simple for navigation and affordable in good price (DHS 400 or 450).

It's available in Sharjah City centre since my visit there last week, and I was informed that it's no longer available soon in the market so if you're planning to have one, hurry up.

Good luck buddies...
:292:
[/CENTER]