Montana 600 or 650

bijubs
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:14 pm

Dear team,
i am working out to buy a Gps for off roading , after coupler of communication in the forum i had learned a lot further i need a suggestion from user of montana like which model i can go for montana 600 or 650 ? i know the difference is camera , does it matter a lot while off roading gps function ? or its just a camera for store photos and navigate later ? price difference when enquired is Dhs. 1650 for 600 , Dhs.1950 for 650.

Expert advise required .. thanks
Suhail
Advance
Advance
Posts: 0
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:53 pm

Dear bijubs..


The only difference between the two devices is the camera.

For me i have montana 650 and i never use the camera, it is really poor quality. so go for the Montana 600 and save your money..
bijubs
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:14 pm

Suhail;37774 wrote:Dear bijubs..


The only difference between the two devices is the camera.

For me i have montana 650 and i never use the camera, it is really poor quality. so go for the Montana 600 and save your money..
Thanks Dear Shuhail... good advise from a user .. i shall go for 600.
User avatar
Bu-Shahid
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:51 pm

bijubs;37775 wrote:Thanks Dear Shuhail... good advise from a user .. i shall go for 600.
I have the 600 and I am more than happy with it and as Suhail said the only deference is the camera which does not worth it.
BTW, you can take photos via your I phone or Samsung and transfer them easily to the Montana 600 and still able to navigate to these photos
bijubs
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:14 pm

Bu-Shahid;37777 wrote:I have the 600 and I am more than happy with it and as Suhail said the only deference is the camera which does not worth it.
BTW, you can take photos via your I phone or Samsung and transfer them easily to the Montana 600 and still able to navigate to these photos
Thanks .. Bu Shahid.. today i am getting 600... thanks
GeeZee
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:40 pm

I have an Etrex 20. I used it a couple of times for MTB, trekking, and small offroad trips around Fossil rock area. I find it brilliant! Any major advantages for the Montana 600 over it?
bijubs
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:14 pm

Dear Experts .. Montana 600 :-
Will any one advise what are the software we need to cruise in desert , hiking etc.. which will be useful while we do off road trucking , driving etc.. Especially for a naked Montana 600, i mean from a basic set to required software.
shbatat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:05 am

Your options are limited to:
1- City Navigator Maps which supports Auto navigation and turn by turn guidance.
2- Open street maps which have a very good coverage for city and highways.
3- Garmin custom maps...i.e. Satellite images or Paper maps.
4- Topographic maps either commercial ones or recreational free ones.

I got my self the new Garmin montera from Amit for approx. 2600 with auto navigation kit and a motorcycle handle bar bracket... and found it ready out of the box and loaded with Open street maps and tons of Points of interest... So far I think this is the best device made by Garmin.
Here is a link for open street maps: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

You will need a pc software either Garmin Map source or Garmin base camp both have same features with advantages to base camp because it can view your legitimate Garmin maps on your pc screen. This link to download base camp http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=4435

Garmin has a very nice collection of training videos here... http://www8.garmin.com/learningcenter/t ... /basecamp/

A good part of being a professional off road driver is to have good skills in using gps navigator and manipulate maps, tracks, poi's data on your computer...
I wish that my reply will be useful to you; brother; and to other club members
bijubs
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:14 pm

shbatat;37983 wrote:Your options are limited to:
1- City Navigator Maps which supports Auto navigation and turn by turn guidance.
2- Open street maps which have a very good coverage for city and highways.
3- Garmin custom maps...i.e. Satellite images or Paper maps.
4- Topographic maps either commercial ones or recreational free ones.

I got my self the new Garmin montera from Amit for approx. 2600 with auto navigation kit and a motorcycle handle bar bracket... and found it ready out of the box and loaded with Open street maps and tons of Points of interest... So far I think this is the best device made by Garmin.
Here is a link for open street maps: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

You will need a pc software either Garmin Map source or Garmin base camp both have same features with advantages to base camp because it can view your legitimate Garmin maps on your pc screen. This link to download base camp http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=4435

Garmin has a very nice collection of training videos here... http://www8.garmin.com/learningcenter/t ... /basecamp/

A good part of being a professional off road driver is to have good skills in using gps navigator and manipulate maps, tracks, poi's data on your computer...
I wish that my reply will be useful to you; brother; and to other club members
THANKS BROTHER SHBATAT, WELL EXPLAINED , one more question (its come when i reading your reply) plz don't mind if its my stupidity !!! , when i enquired from Gramin guys they said , if you need to drive off road you need a off road map !!!
1. Does your above any option included off road map ?
2. Do we get cracked version online ? if yes whether it create problem while we do off roading ?

i am really sorry for a late reply as i was out two weeks !!!
User avatar
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 am
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

bijubs;38836 wrote:THANKS BROTHER SHBATAT, WELL EXPLAINED , one more question (its come when i reading your reply) plz don't mind if its my stupidity !!! , when i enquired from Gramin guys they said , if you need to drive off road you need a off road map !!!
1. Does your above any option included off road map ?
2. Do we get cracked version online ? if yes whether it create problem while we do off roading ?

i am really sorry for a late reply as i was out two weeks !!!
Off-road maps don't exist typically. There are only some waypoints and tracks which might be shared in off-roading community.
Post Reply