Liwa Trip, 8-9 April 2011

alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

[LEFT]Dear Members

I would like to thank all the people who joined us and made our trip another success for this club. The main idea behind this trip is to give our members who were never been in Liwa a small taste of it and the opportunity to explore the Empty Quarter in the Arabia. The Drive started on Thursday night with 12 cars drove around 350 km to Liwa, We had our camp 50 km away from the car museum. I was thinking while driving to the camp destination what would bring all those people after a long day at work?? Unless it is the passion for the adventure. In the early morning some other members joined at the deflation point. Caprihorse took the lead and he gave the drivers what he promised them “140 km“ pure off-road, during the drive we passed many beautiful places and had some great shots but I don’t think that someone took a picture for the Gazall which crossed our convoy with full speed as it was saying “ Eat My Dust “ :027:

We reached our distention which was Hameem Adnoc petrol station, our newbies and some of the intermediate drivers left after this stage but the Hungrry of dust remain. We had the second drive in the afternoon but this time gave our members the taste of the “ almost style” we passed area with huge bowels … one mistake is enough to keep your down there forever but our drivers were ready for this so we had no issues. The second trip finished by the sun set so we had back to Hameem Adnoc petrol station it was the end of DAY 1.

Seven cars remain of the DAY 2 drive so we head back to the sand were we had our camp & dinner with chit chats until 12 midnight , no one wants to sleep because of the weather and the beautiful starts but we know that we have a long day ahead of us. The next day we gathered for the drive of the season, we drove on top of the dunes like there is no tomorrow it was exsiting and sometimes you can’t find your exit and for some it was difficult to find the tracks for the leading car, we had great time until 1 in the afternoon. At the end of the day we found that we drove more than 300 km pure off-road which is an excellent weekend for any off-roader.

I’m happy that all our drivers went back home safe and sound which can’t be achived without our marshals devotion and dedication, Special thanks to FALCON who was “ Falcon by nick name & Falcon by reputation “ He was everywhere giving the rescue wherever need so “ hats off” for you. Also for Caprihorse who planned this great and sucsseful drive.

Now tell us your stories guys … I’m sure you have lots to share

Best Regards [/LEFT]
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Al Kurby
Advance
Advance

I am lucky to have joined this adventurous trip. Thank you Caprihorse for a very sensible lead from Al Fadhiya to Hameem. Beautiful scenery, relaxing drive and the occassional difficult spots.:027:

I also wish to thank Bu Salem for a brilliant lead on an extreme drive navigating the huge bowls and tight spots of Liwa.:473:
Note: To all those who opted out on Saturday, you missed the mother of trips:011:

You guys rock:048:
lamboo
Golden Member
Golden Member

[CENTER]thanx abusalem,, it was nice trip...[/CENTER]
[CENTER]:048::048:[/CENTER]
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Shamsi, what a great blog. You described everything as it was and this trip will stay in our memories forever.

To be in LIWA is a challenge for everybody and our drivers proved to be on top and deserved this trip, with lots of surprises for everybody. Pop-out and stuck are part of the game, in this challenging terrain, with hidden ditches, steep, extremely dangerous bowls and powdering sand.

With this I would like to thank to all participants for their effort and contribution.
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

HMMMMMMM ..I will start from thursday while i was at office and was in hurry to runaway and take my family out and give my wife some bribe to see me off with smiling face. She made me some fast food and alot of prayers for my safe journey.

I waited for the crazy off roaders at 306 exit and join them heading towards the camping area. we spend nice time and looking at the sky full of so many stars were really amazing. Abdullah al shamsi gave me a tent to sleep relax and alone from Hassan and my other friend, thanks Abdullah.
In the morning after a nice breakfast and very nice strong tea prepared by HASSAN me Hassan Jasim and Abdullah took the breakfast together, thanks HASSAN for nice breakfast and Abdullah for nice company.

Then the mad drive started, it was not a drive but you can say a race against time. Capri was leading and was utilizing the full potential of his 4x4 with new spark plugs installed. we followed his and enjoyed the whole 140 km off road with fast pace and alot of nice sceneries animals and a lonely land cruiser standing high on a dune there.

After completion of phase1 we refill our tanks and followed again capri and reached to the deflation point. Now the real ordeal started. I deflate the tires to 10psi but when i enter the powder sand that time i was reciting DUA( for our safe journey) but after covering a 100 meter in sand I started saying bad things as i was near to stuck but thanks ALLAH and my duck commander didnt let me down.

This drive was very nice and challenging with soft sand nice and challenging ascend and descends. our training for so long time came to our rescue and the marshals devotion was a great help too.
Just near to the completion time i damaged my radiator and stuck, thanks to LAMBOO for staying with me and rescuing me and thanks alot to EYAD (cherokee) un tie my and lamboo JAPS.

PS: Bu Salem you are a great leader, caring sweeper and for the first time I witness you are a bad and dangerous marshal too hehehe. Thanks for leading and taking good care of all of us.:011:

Love you guys and miss you till the next trip together:015:
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hi Everyone

Please have a look at some of the trip's Pictures or if you are in a harry then have a look at the Slide Show

Regards
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
FALCON
Golden Member
Golden Member

thanx almost4x4 it was fun
Red Scorpion
Advance
Advance

Thank u everybody for such a nice adventure .. it is one of my best so far .. had so much fun and enjoyed every bit of it .. glad that I had the opportunity to meet old friends again after such a long time and even more glad to get to meet new faces as well. Best of luck all and hope to see u all soon ISA. 'till then take care and have fun,
googloid
Golden Member
Golden Member

The long awaited Liwa Trip has at last come and gone. I must say despite my high expectations for this part of the desert I was still suprised at how beautiful, serene and challenging this area was.

The intermediate morning drive was amazing, the wildlife enroute was fantastic. I actually almost ran over a gazelle that was so eager to let me eat its dust:)). The afternoon advanced drive was definitely at another different level... Those bowls, steep climbs and descents were just something else. We now see what almost calls advanced!

The advanced drive on the second morning was by far the highest point of the trip for me... I saw first hand what it meant to lay your path where no one else has ventured. Abu Salem did say lets do an easy drive for about 30 mins to warm up our tires but meeeen.... He didnt waste any time at all before the drive really became challenging. The adrenalin was pumping like never before as the crests became higher and the bowls became deeper and wider.. Phew!! The leader does really bear the brunt of the entire trip, Abu Salem hit a number of dead ends which he quickly warned us not to follow. I remember when we got into a tricky bowl... Once inside the exit seemed to elude us for a while as we all zig zaged inside it like some circus animals, but of course Abu Salem did find the exit even though it took every ounce of horse power my car had to reach it:)). As the day got warmer my car started struggling to maintain traction as the sand was getting a lot softer. definitely need to work on tires and suspension for another trip in this level.

Lessons learned:
- Always pay attention when on a drive, losing concentration even for a short while can easily leave you disoriented and lost not knowing what the car ahead of you had to do to overcome an obstacle. Especially in the mid day drive on the second day it was very difficult to tell the orientation of the sand as the sun was directly over head, i could only deduce that information by looking at the car in front me.
- Listen to what the marshals have to say, no matter how insignificant it may seem, there is a lot of meaning and experience behind those words. Even if you think you dont need it there and then the day will come when those words will get you out of a stcky situation. Case in point "power up just a little bit when you find your car going side ways in a steep descent".
- Always keep your cool, no matter how tough the challenge may seem, there is really no need panicing when the challenge is right in front of you. You can panic all you want the day before the trip, but once you have decided to go on the trip make sure you leave all the panicing at home:).

Many many thanks to the almost4x4ers (both the new and old faces) that made this trip such a successful and fun drive, i will definitely remember it for the rest of my life! Thanks to my buddy Abdullah for all the words of encouragement, we made such a good team and kept watch over each other. Thanks to Silvester for good advice and a fantastic lead on the first day, and to Abu Salem for all the support and guidance and also for leading me on the most challenging trip of my life thus far. Thanks to Faisal for all the tips on the 2nd day advanced drive. Thanks to Falcon for rocking my car out of the ditch when my car got lodged between 2 dunes.... Thanks to all the other marshals and advanced drivers that kept their watchful eyes over us throughout the trip. Believe me guys i still see deep bowls and high crests when I close my eyes LoL. After that 2nd day advanced drive the Al Badayar dunes seem like a trip on a 4 lane highway:).

Thanks Almost4x4 for a most exhilerating and exciting event.
ramidxb
Advance
Advance

Thanks for the Nice Trip , We discovered a new Areas where Ghazals Racing and Camel Resting . Driving 140Km Off Road wasn't easy and i had a very good experience especially with PopOuts :011::011: ( Thanks for Abo Salem, Falcon & Millan ) , also Being close to Caprihorse & Faisal makes me feel more confident on Off - Road driving and my Buddy Millan :048:was always ready for help.

I expect a Trip level same or little bit higher then Al Feqaa as it was preparation for Liwa( 350Km Far of our Home)
But I trust that with Almost 4x4 more Trips coming :473: