How to disable VSC & TRC in FJ cruiser

admin

[CENTER][video=youtube;3WKuZqTcI0M][/video][/CENTER]
Adventures League of Mountains, Oceans & Sand Thrills
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yeap, that's the right hint, just black out, switch off everything and it is disabled. Leave the car in garage :011:
:508:
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

I cannot believe, that this can be true. The computer software program in every car is programmed to detect sensor, cable and other wiring problems. In this case, when somebody is disconnecting a cable, the software in car's main computer, must be detecting this as cable cut. So the computer is switching all car's behaviour into emergency mode, just to bring the car to a dealer, to repair the broken wire. The emergency mode is bringing the car in saving mode, to save all energies, the car cannot perform normally at all.

Otherwise, if this my statement is not true, I lost all my faith in our cousins software programming capabilities.
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

caprihorse;3488 wrote:I cannot believe, that this can be true. The computer software program in every car is programmed to detect sensor, cable and other wiring problems. In this case, when somebody is disconnecting a cable, the software in car's main computer, must be detecting this as cable cut. So the computer is switching all car's behaviour into emergency mode, just to bring the car to a dealer, to repair the broken wire. The emergency mode is bringing the car in saving mode, to save all energies, the car cannot perform normally at all.

Otherwise, if this my statement is not true, I lost all my faith in our cousins software programming capabilities.
No marshal it is not FJ emergency mood, it is very helpful when you are in desert. basically it is disconnecting only that nerve of the computer from where its getting useful information onroad and wrong information when u r offroad. when the wheel are not getting enough traction and spinning which common on sand, the fj computer lock that spinning wheel to convert power to the others and like this sometime one or other wheels are braking itself.
Toyota later on discovered this issue so on all their latest model fjz you dont need to disconnect it manually, in 2010 and up model there is swich on the panel and by pressing and holding it for some seconds it disable these moods.
So it is safe to do it on desert but dangerous to apply on road.

Regards
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

AlKhAtIb;3484 wrote:.

[CENTER][video=youtube;3WKuZqTcI0M][/video][/CENTER]
Thanks marshal for sharing, it is very helpful while off roading on sand. alot of FJ owners dont know how to use.
PS: FJ owners please switch off the engine and remove key while removing and reinstalling this cable. never try this when the switch is on.
Alosh
Advance
Advance

Khateb and ahmed
you are jeepers so please leave the FJ's drivers alone
go and found solution for your cars heat ;-))
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

What is being show in the first video is one of the manual methods a dedicated FJ Cruiser Offroader would have to use to disconnect the Traction and the VSC systems on pre 2009 FJ Cruisers.

Its funny how Toyota forgot to install the switch to deactivate both these systems in cars earlier than 2009, maybe they never intended the earlier cars to do serious off roading let alone dune bashing.

Ideally to make the most of the power and capabilities of the FJ I would want three switches inside, one to cut off the Trac and the VSC ( which on pre 2009 is done by disconnecting that small plug in the video, the other to de activate the ABS ( this along with de activating Trac and VSC is done by pulling out a certain fuse in the main fuse box) and the third to completely disable all the airbags ( which is not possible on ANY of the FJ's, on 2009 you can disable the curtain airbags but thankfully the sensors are well placed and the times when the bags go off accidently are few and far between).

Now in the 09 + FJ Toyota finally installed the switch inside to disable the TRAC and the VSC which is a blessing. In the 09 they also provided a switch to de activate the side curtain airbags as the sensors in that years FJ were a bit sensitive, not anyone in 2010+.

What is missing still is a switches to de activate the ABS. This is sorely needed as all FJ owners will attest to the fact that on hard braking when coming down a dune the ABS kicks in and your stopping distance increases.

Now you don't want to have the ABS disabled from inside the engine by taking out the fuse as you will not be able to use the A-TRAC system, which works with the ABS hence the requirement for another switch in the same panel as the A-TRAC to control the ABS. Once could drive with the ABS off and just switch it on if one wants to use the A-TRAC.

I am yet to find a solution for this but I am glad that I am driving a 2010 with the TRAC and VSC disable switch as now when I get stuck I can actually use the A-TRAC system to get myself out which is not possible on earlier cars without having to actually get down, open the bonnet and reconnect that plug or replace the fuse.

In my 2008 I never got to use the A-TRAC as I was always running with the systems manually disconnected.

Now I know from personal experience what an amazing system the A-TRAC is, your car will literally bounce out of a stuck if you use the A-TRAC and Diff lock appropriately.

Since I have heavy tires on my FJ on advanced dries I drive in 4L in fourth or third gear with the A-Trac running and this ensures that I rarely get stuck.

Al Marshoudi
Advance
Advance

Wasif Ahmed;3533 wrote:

What is being show in the first video is one of the manual methods a dedicated FJ Cruiser Offroader would have to use to disconnect the Traction and the VSC systems on pre 2009 FJ Cruisers.

Its funny how Toyota forgot to install the switch to deactivate both these systems in cars earlier than 2009, maybe they never intended the earlier cars to do serious off roading let alone dune bashing.

Wasif ... My FJ was 2008, serious offroading doesn't approach my driving style in compare to what i did to that poor FJC .. But after one complete year, I sold that FJC with no harm to side airbags.

the secret of side airbags, it will activate when the car exceed 45 degree side angle. for 2008, when you engage 4wd, it will disable the side airbags & you will have bitter chance to exceed 45 degree.

for 2009 Model, they noticed that some people had serious injury because of this matter because many people they will disconnect the traction fuse which will deactivate the airbag system .. so, they put one button to connect or disconnect the airbags, depend on the driving style you do. this system was rubbish because many people forget the airbag button & any angle more than 20 degree will activate the airbags ( street safety) ..

they relies the mistake & brought 2010 with 2008 system but in advance ( they added traction control) ..
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

Mansour...I really feel bad for the guy whobought your FJ......poor soul !

You are right about the airbag situation.

Like I said now all that is neeed on the 2009 and up FJ's is an in cabin button to disable the ABS.

Does anone know who this can be done and a button installed in the panel with the Diff Lock and A Trac buttons