It’s A New Day

Rathica
Crew
Crew

Title: It’s A New Day:
Organised by Giorgio, the convoy was divided into 2: 5+ and 10+. I was placed in the 5+ convoy as Al Shamzi’s Second Lead.

As the sun lit the sky, our off-roading convoy revved up for another adrenaline-fueled journey. Led by the seasoned navigator Al Shamzi, and supported by Brett, myself and Marco, we embarked on a thrilling escapade into the vast expanse of the desert.

Our expedition was nothing short of exhilarating, as we navigated through the undulating terrain with a fast-paced intensity. With each twist and turn, we danced through the dunes, feeling the rush of adrenaline coursing through our veins. The smooth side crests and half switches provided the perfect playground for our Newbie 5+ enthusiasts, as we skillfully utilized the momentum of the dunes to propel us forward.

Amidst the roar of engines and the sound of sand whipping against our vehicles, the camaraderie among our team was palpable. We shared laughter, stories, and unwavering support, making every moment of our adventure all the more memorable.

A special shoutout to Al Shamzi, for his invaluable guidance and assistance, pop out and passenger hosting included, throughout the journey. His expertise and unwavering dedication ensured that we conquered every obstacle with finesse and confidence.
But our gratitude doesn't stop there. To the Newbies who joined our expedition, your team spirit and excellent driving skills truly elevated our adventure to new heights. Together, we forged unforgettable memories and conquered memorable challenges. Until the next adventure awaits, we'll cherish the memories of "A New Day" in the desert sands.
@giorgio
@alshamsi_m
@Brett
@Mpodroid
Join me drawing in the sand
👑Dauntless 🚙💨
Vika

It's A New Day indeed! in love

Hello everyone!

I’d like to start my trip report with the fact that the club’s app has not been busy by the presence of drives for a long time due to the preparation and direct participation of all the marshals and support team in Gulf News Fun Drive 2024. And finally, a message about the upcoming drive "It’s a New Day" was shown in the chat , organized by @giorgio . To my big regret, I was not able to participate in that "famous drive", which I could only read about in trip reports. Therefore, I couldn’t even admit the possibility of missing the next drive, despite the fact that registering was not easy due to technical issues, but nevertheless, I managed to do it. Taking into account all the previous comments, and some changes in the description of the drive, I managed the time so as not to miss the upcoming drive in any case, since @giorgio will drive "With or Without" you in any scenario oh noes
Waking up in the morning at 3.40, being sure that my car was in good condition, the radio was charged and I was fully prepared, I left at 5.45am. Nothing can compare to driving to your favorite club while watching the sunrise. Arriving at the meeting point 10 minutes before the set time, I found almost all the participants waiting for new adventures. During the short briefing, I was once again convinced that in this drive there is no room for mistakes and unceremonious behavior. It was clearly indicated to us that all members of the drive are required to follow the basic rules.

Since the ball was initially organized for 5+ and 10+, we were all divided into two convoys.

So,
Destination Sweihan,
Meeting time 7.15 am
The event starts at 7.45 am
Convoy 5+ was leading by @alshamsi_m
Convoy 10+ by @giorgio
Second lead in 10+ @osman
I was assigned in the middle of the convoy.
Sweeper @Giovanni

During the briefing, it was mentioned that all participants must be doubly focused, taking into account the weather conditions of heavy rain, which means that heavy sand is always the reason for a popout and God forbid at the slightest rollover mistake🙏🙏🙏

So,
The convoy was formed and everyone started.
For me personally, it doesn’t matter how many drives you have behind, each new one is a new experience, first of all. I will never get tired of practicing and gaining new knowledge.

Why do we drive in the convoy? First of all, the convoy is discipline! This is not a competition! Feel your car and adapt to the car in front of you, listen to the engine in front of the leaders, don’t lose the one behind, follow the track, don’t overtake, communicate through the radio. This is the team spirit that cannot be replaced by anything. The desert is open to everyone, but we don’t get high if we don’t see friends, club members in the group, and don’t learn from our mistakes and the mistakes of others.

For me personally, this drive turned out to be another invaluable experience in learning that speed is dangerous, full control of my car is the key to safety.

The highlight of the drive was that only our marshals really care about each participant. Each of us can make a mistake. But giving the opportunity to correct this mistake, a second time, a third time, and then, when it works, do it again and more than once, so that the participant really feels confident in overcoming this obstacle, this is only possible with Almost4×4. Thank you @giorgio

The last but not least, I thank everyone who made this event possible😇👍

Looking forward to see all of you soon 😊

With love, your Vika in love
"The most effective way to do it, is just to do it"
Aljamhi
Crew
Crew

In a journey that brought us back to the foundational principles of off-road driving, our recent excursion into the challenging terrains underscored the importance of basic skills and essential knowledge at even the most advanced levels. The day’s conditions presented us with hard-packed sand, a result of recent rainfall, which necessitated a careful consideration of the type of drive suitable for such unpredictable surfaces.

Our convoy maintained a disciplined order, a testament to the importance of self-regulation and collective responsibility in ensuring the safety and success of the group. This experience served as a practical recap of distance management and the critical role of effective communication in navigating complex drive.

A significant focus was placed on the nuanced skill of vehicle control, particularly when descending slopes. The ability to manage one’s speed and direction on such challenging inclines was a valuable lesson in precision driving.

A memorable moment was the insightful exchange between Marshal Gorgio and Sumayia, which provided a practical tip on overcoming obstacles such as dunes. Marshal Gorgio’s advice to “push and accelerate once the car’s front tire touches the sand” was a valuable that highlighted the synergy between power and momentum.

The drive was not only a thrilling adventure but also an educational experience, brimming with technical advice and hands-on guidance. It was notable how individual errors were addressed; the marshals provided one-on-one instruction to those who veered off course, emphasizing the correct techniques in a constructive manner.

Our gratitude extends to the support team, whose impeccable coordination and expertise were pivotal in the day’s achievements. Their behind-the-scenes efforts ensured a seamless experience for all participants.

In a light-hearted note, there’s a hope that Giovani withholds the day’s observations from Gorgio, especially considering my position ahead of the sweeper.

Overall, the team demonstrated exceptional proficiency, managing to complete the task safely and efficiently. This trip was a vivid reminder of the value of continuous learning, the importance of teamwork, and the thrill of mastering the elements.

giorgio
Marshal
Marshal

It was a new day with just another drive.
Beautiful morning nice weather, amazing members hungry for action.

Big thanks to our founder that took over the 5+convoy and make the day a 2 level drive day.

During the briefing I pointed out how challenging is the sand when wet, but as u most likely noted there are some positive to it as well.
No soft sand No stucks.
Hard sand higher climbs. We spent alot of time in the big dunes which u could have only be able to climb on intermediate level drives if the sand was normal, but the fact that the sand was hard gave us the opportunity to go all the way up with ease and get the thrill of log climbs and switching to the other side.

I was very satisfied to see all the drivers taking seriously the briefing comments and what needed to be improved on this drive.

The radio communication was impeccable. Great team work, no over takes and so on.

We had pop outs (expected on hard sand).
Many second tries and lost of truck.
That alone its a good indication of the difficulties that arise when u follow the truck and the rules.

We will all get together soon for a third round and I hope to see u all there with the same appetite for adrenaline rush and fun.

Closing I have to thank all the support team that got busy and without them it would have not be possible to bring these drives forward.

Looking forward to see u all in the upcoming
Drives (same area more fun), but until then drive responsible and be sage.
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of the sheep
ahmadtodxb
Crew
Crew

Big thanks for @giorgio and @alshamsi_m for organising this drive.The drive was very well organised. All drivers were looking for more and more fun. I was part of 10+ convoy.

All drivers we assuring to have a proper distance, proper communications.. we really were focusing on every single note we recived in the last drive from @giorgio and personally basic learning we received in early stages is the foundation to be good and safe driver. No shame in second tries....

As a drivers we recieved magnificent notes and tips on how to drive safe on wet sands. We experienced couple of popouts which is expected and I was very happy to help the support and intermediates within my capacity to make sure I'm practicing whatever learned so far.

Moreabout, we did high climbs, switch's, safari style. My position was in the back of the convoy and i was enjoying seeing the convoy moving to keep up with @giorgio.

I'm looking forward for @giorgio next drive..
brett
Crew
Crew

Dear Almosters

A Rather Chilly morning at the meeting point. There was some confusion as the drive post stated meet at 730am drive to start at 8am
The PM stated meeting time 715am take off 745am.
Once all the drivers assembled Drive Director @giorgio took attendance and split the group into 2 convoys 10+ and 5+ A2 Giorgio took the 10+ to conduct his convoy specific briefing and founder @alshamsi_m conducted the briefing for the 5+
I was assigned to the 5+ convoy with fellow Intermediates @Rathica in 2nd Lead and @mpodroid to sweep. I was positioned mid convoy to assist with any recoveries.
We had intermediate @Marcouss returning for his firsts drive in several years to get the feeling of his new Patrol and regain his feel for the sand.
@alshamsi_m stressed that the sand conditions we would encounter were different compared to what the newbies were familiar with – due to the recent rains. The sand in most areas was firm or in some places soft on top but hard packed and wet just below the surface, this combination can make driving extremely dangerous as the wet and can very quickly “grab” your tires if you are sliding of fighting gravity. The result being a roll over – so be very careful !
With @alshamsi_m leading in the Jimny it was obvious it would be a very quick drive with the master behind the wheel of the very nippy and nimble Jimny !
We only had 6 newbies which also meant the makings were there for a quick no nonsense drive. 2 of the drivers had also bought their partners along for the 5+ “easy level drive”
Man were they in for a surprise the pace was frantic with a roller coaster effect of climbs, arches and crests at a new intensity the Newbies had not experienced before. This resulted in a couple of stuck situations, 2nd tries and even a travel sickness episode ! we also encountered 1 pop out which found the car wedged in a tight area, under the guidance of @alshamsi_m the pop out was fixed after some digging and wriggling.
The Drive ended just as the wind stated to increase and the dark clouds loomed on the horizon
There were adrenaline feed smiles and visible nerves on the drivers faces , but at the end of the drive all drivers, passengers and un damaged cars left the desert with some amazing memories as stories to tell

Big thanks to @giorgio for planning the drive. @alshamsi_m for leading our convoy
Intermediates @mpodroid @Rathica @Marcouss
And the willing Newbies well done !
Until the next Adventure

Brett
Red Baron
Ely

“It’s a new day”

In Sweihan's vast expanse, Nahil whispers the tale,
Of Almosters chasing adventure, where the sandy dunes prevail.
A symphony of engines, roaring in the desert's embrace,
Adventurous souls embarking on a challenging race.

Hard sand after rain, a deceptive delight,
All geared up, ready for the fight.
Pop-outs echo through the Sweihan air,
A challenge accepted, a collective dare.

Their leader, a trailblazer, in Moonlight's hold,
His car bore the scars, a symbol of adventures bold.
Wounds carried with pride, a testament to the fight,
In Sweihan's unforgiving grasp, under the sunlight.

——————————////————————————-

Dear Almosters,

It is such a delight to see you all! It felt like ages since our last drive ! @AZK back among us 🤗 happy to meet you outside of the garage!!!

Almost drives are gems… I am so much looking forward to it, and for that I would like to sincerely thank you all, each of you is enlightening my weekend.

I genuinely appreciate the dedication and bravery exhibited by our marshals (and thus Giorgio throughout this drive) as they guide us through the dunes. You all make it look effortless graceful and easy when it is actually not.

Throughout this drive, we were divided into two convoys. Our convoy was led by Giorgio, with Osman, Germain and Giovani supporting. Massive thank you for all your support, leading new ways, rescuing, digging and fixing pop out!

Hard sand is definitely not the friend of any offroaders... a few challenging situations and routes a-head gave us a scattered drive with an unsettled rhythm… however lots of learning took place 🙌🏼.

First of all, it is not easy to drive when the rhythm is off, it requires more effort to remain focus. Secondly, the state of the sand is also a drawback whether it is too soft or wet/hard… extremes are rarely something good and easy to deal with. Yes, it allows us to enjoy some high dunes (which was really awesome) and at the same time… path gets messy really quickly, making it hard to see and follow the original track. So I really want to throw my hat to all the fellows driving at the back of the convoy.

On that drive I really tried my best to follow the original track as much as possible… I must say I stressed myself to it. I will be honest I felt uneasy the whole drive. I was annoyed by the jangling noise caused by some of my items that were not fixed tightly enough, I had no patience for myself and got irritated by any mistakes I was making… I even lost my sense of right and left 🤣 seriously!!!! (It was hard enough to learn it being a child🥹).
I felt like my school kids when they put on a face because they can’t solve the math problem and it annoys the life out of them.
Among the instructions received during the briefing (and my intend to follow them), I set my mind to mainly focus on “no drifting” when effectuating “side crest” and keeping my car straight while descending from high dunes or while doing arches… for that you need the right amount of speed and no harsh break… so I practiced to slightly press and release repeatedly either the break or the throttle and I was playing with my gears still trying to figure out the correct momentum.

So when Giorgio stopped the convoy to give us some technical explanations or was giving further instructions on how to approach certain dunes that was incredibly insightful. Also allowing multiples trials was really helpful. THANK YOU Giorgio !!!! And please 🙏🏻 give us more of these ! I have heard someone saying that apparently men prefer a minimum of instructions but personally I prefer more details and further explanations with demonstrations (hopefully I am not the only one 🤞🏼…). Along with multiple trials this is really a great combo to improve.

This is it ! Wishing you all a great week and see you very soon for more adventures !

Sending you air hugs !

Ps : Thank you Germain for your very enlightening comments on reading dunes. This is next level…
evanwhateverlinethignystuff
 ! Message from: Ely
« Il n'est pire eau que l'eau qui dort »

« There is no worse water than sleeping water »
Sanadshaikh

Adrenaline rush from the first minute! This drive was something I have never experienced before.

I was in the 10+ convoy led by Giorgio and accompanied by crew I have driven with the most. During the briefing we were warned about the pros and cons of this track and wet, soft sand - gave me flashbacks of High Octane. Everything Giorgio mentioned prior to take off was experienced on the track, pin point accuracy.

Within the first few minutes the convoy experienced some climbs, switches, ridges, pop outs and all the works. Marshall with his Eagle eye kept a close watch on every single driver, ensuring safety and simultaneously addressing some mistakes, allowing us to perform better and better as the drive progressed. Apart from the basics, speed and control was of utmost importance considering the big dunes and multiple switches, here is where I fell short in a few dunes, but Giorgio very patiently explained what was done wrong and what do better next time. Rest of the convoy was quick to jump in and support during the pop outs.

Driving in these conditions, such speeds, tricky terrain etc is a huge challenge in itself, and to have Marshalls, support crew that dedicate so much time, effort, patience towards a safe, enjoyable, progressive drives is something I'm truly grateful for 🙏

To reiterate:
Mental focus 200%, nothing less
Control the speed, read the terrain, control the car
Bail out if you can't make it, try again

Over and out and looking forward to the next Almost adventure 😀😀
Youri

It's a new day - 18.02.24

Thanks to @giorgio and @alshamsi_m for organizing this drive, happy to see the 5+ drive to improve!

I was with 5 drives placed into the 5+ drive convoy, led by the fastest Jimny known to mankind. The sand had a soft top layer with a hard as concrete subsurface. This was a first for me, and with the killswitch only recently installed I was struggling to feel what was related to the sand conditions, or what was different with traction finally fully off. My passenger resolved the mystery for me. Once this issue was sorted, the drive went from hectic and stressy to a more manageable level, though for 5 drives this was a tough one to follow.

Once we started the big dunes, the Jeep was feeling happy to climb and so was his owner. Especially because of the hard sand, we managed to reach the peaks of some big dunes with relative ease. However, going on the crest of one medium dune turned out to be one moment to renew my pants. Luckily our founder was there to guide me through the self-recovery and even though I wasn't quick enough to turn, I managed to safely get back to the convoy where we all got an explanation of the situation.

After this, the drive started to speed up with Safari-style driving, hitting 80-90kmph on the flatter parts. After 30min of twisting and turning, my lovely passenger and wife started becoming as white as the FJs in the group. The 5+ group discussed we could lose up to 15% of the people, let's say at least a small percentage was left behind there by one person. Thanks to @mpodroid for the moral support and bringing us back to the rest of the group who definitely had to wait more than once on the silver Jeep..

Going back, one more lesson was taught during a pop-out before ending the drive. Only to realize the hose for the compressor was damaged beyond repair. Being helped once again by our amazing members, I managed to drive back home safely. Thanks ALL!

If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together. If you want to go fast and far, go with Almost4x4.
Germain
Intermediate
Intermediate

For me, 18th February was a very special day since it marks 50 days since our memorable Liwa drive.

It was a lovely winter morning, and setting out from AD before dawn had its impression on the mind. The car was washed and cleaned the previous night so I had a clean windscreen to gaze thro as I set out from home.
The meeting point was a good 90 minute drive from home, and not far from the meeting point was I joined by my passenger, made a brief pitstop to fuel up and grab some coffee. The spirits were teeming as we drove towards the meeting point at Nahil.

I was the last to reach the start and had to rush thro deflation and setup while @giorgio was wrapping up his instructions.

While we were over 20 cars assembling for the drive, we were split into 2 convoys. I joined the +10 led by @giorgio, driving a metal stallion named Sunny.
Behind lead Georgio, rescue drivers @osman and @Giovanni occupied the extremities, and I was positioned at the ides to help coordinate recoveries mid convoy.

Within minutes of setting out, we started tasting the challenges of wet soil, with a taste of second tries, pop outs, recoveries and loss of track situations. Drivers were reminded to stay focused, maintain distance, respect gravity and avoid silly mistakes.
The drive was interjected from time to time with guidance from the wise one, and I must hand it to him for managing a rather long convoy without a second Marshall as support. I had a chance to assist with two pop outs and a recovery. Am sure @sumaiya learnt a lot about her Patrol thro these experiences.

As the pace started to pick up, the convoy transitioned into a nice flow and everyone was having fun. There were a few lovely switches, and this added to the adrenalin rush within each of us. I could see everyone having fun - @Ely @Vika @Paddy @Sharan @Aljamhi @Sharan Ahmed, Tariq and Mohammed.

During the break, a friendly chat with all the passengers present showed that travel sickness was a concern, but they were glad that the drive was punctuated with numerous stops. This showed that the drive was of a high level, and the Newbie drivers performed very well.
It was also at this point that Georgio came up to me and whispered in my ear, “What is wrong with you? Focus Germain !” Psmiley
No body told me that the wise one had 360 degree vision. blank

A few take aways from the drive :
• Stay focused.
• Respect time, if you can’t come on time, come early !
• Understand your vehicle, learn what tyre pressures work best and in which conditions.
• Wet sand can increase challenges, so be extra cautious and always listen to the wise ones
• Good to have all the offroad gear that is prescribed, but PLEASE have it secured properly, this is for your own safety.

The drive lasted roughly 2.5 hours, unfortunately cut short by a faulty 4x4 system in Sunny.

It was evident that all drivers were in full form and enjoying the drive.

Again, yet another fantastic Almost4x4 drive.

Till we meet again, stay safe an enjoy the rest of the week.