Guts Over Fear

Faizan

Hello Fellow Adventurers,

I'm excited to share yet another memorable desert drive with all of you. This time, I had the privilege of following Optimus as our lead, and I'm eager to join him again in the future. Optimus's guidance and motivation made the drive a breeze. His advice about avoiding flying and doing second or third tries were valuable and I think I've improved my cresting technique a little bit in this drive.

I'm happy to report that my car remained unscathed throughout the drive, thanks to the club's rules and the vigilant marshals who provided alternative routes and assistance when needed.

Reflecting on past experiences, I noticed my stuck recovery routine has become much faster – quick rope retrieval and securing all stuff back with ratchet.

I'd like to express my gratitude to Optimus for leading this drive, as well as to Barish and the experienced members for their support. Rashed's advice at the drive's end was also greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to our next sandy adventure!

Warm regards,
Faizan

Warm Regards,
Faizan
White Prado
brett
Crew
Crew

Dear Almosters,

It was a pleasant afternoon, at the meeting point in Al Faqa. The keen Newbies assembled and before long @optimus conducted the briefing - splitting the group into 2 convoys - 5 or less drives and 5 to 10 drives.

I was put with the 5+ convoy lead by @optimus with @enrique as 2nd lead, floating marshal (the General) @Barish and @rashid as passenger with @david as sweeper. also for support we had @petr in his new silver jeep.

@Optimus explained this drive was to build the experience and confidence of the new drivers, with an emphasis on tackling straight crests in a safe manner. As we entered the dunes the first few crests saw a number of second tries, crested cars and unfortunately some cars attempting to "Fly" over the top. but under the watchful eyes of the General and Rashid all drivers remained safe. stopping for a quick briefing by @Optimus he again reiterated to the drivers - this was not a race, there is no shame in having a 2nd attempt (or 3rd or 4th) the important factor was safety.

I was tasked with assisting the recovery of several cars from their resting place on top of the unforgiving dunes, thanks to @david and @Rashid i mostly just sat behind the wheel while Viking ropes were attached and following their instructions to safely extricate the car from the crests.

The learning continued as again @Optimus gave a further briefing and pep-talk to the drivers - this was @Optimus at his best - insisting to the drivers this was about learning skills and we were all there to help the process while keeping them safe. By the end of the drive it was becoming obvious some of the drivers we becoming tired - it is hard when concentrating 120% with the adrenaline pumping.

We exited the dunes right on time with all the drivers and cars in one piece, smiles all round showing that the patients and teaching by @optimus together with the expert guidance of @Barish and @Rashid ensured it was a fantasitc learning experience for the drivers. I hope they are all now infected with the bug and ready to continue their journey with the Almost4x4 family.

Please do not forget to register for the upcoming breast cancer awareness drive on 21/10/23 it is open to all Newbies as our way of showing support for the ongoing commitment to finding a cure for this horrible disease - that can affect anyone of us at anytime.
Until the next Adventure

Brett
Red Baron
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello Everyone

We had a very good turnover although the number of the convoy was like 5 newbies each convoy but the number of the support and marshals made it possible to divide to two different levels to get the maximum benefit of the area.

I was in Scorpio's convoy who took the 5- and gave us a very good training day with nice drops and soft spots.

I was floating around I could see everyone around since we had 4 newbies so doesn't need a genius :yarr: . well I think they did good for their level but I have some general comment for all the 10- newbies :

1. Don't get passengers unless you are 10 drive or until you gain confidance in your driving
2. Keep 20 meters between you and the car in front of you so you can see their mistakes or their success.
3. Follow the marshals advice to save your car and get out with the minimum damage or no damage at all :you_re_kidding_right:

I was hoping to sitting after the drive but I think the wind didn't allow so looking forward for better weather so we can chill after the drive and catch up with everyone
brett wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:08 pm Please do not forget to register for the upcoming breast cancer awareness drive on 21/10/23 it is open to all Newbies as our way of showing support for the ongoing commitment to finding a cure for this horrible disease - that can affect anyone of us at anytime.
Till next time, stay safe and keep the sand fly

Cheers
Shamsi
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Paddy

Guts over Fear!!! Name itself suggest what to expect from the drive.

Its all about learning how to face your fears.

I reached the meeting point started deflating and fixed the flag, all set to start the drive.

Now started to meet and greet with fellow Almosters. Saw two Jimnys one belonged to a dear friend @Ely and Second one was @Jeffflor however he had to leave his car at the meeting point to help someone.

Soon founder @alshamsi_m and @Optimus started the briefing along side @Scorpio, @Rashidjass and @barish.

As we had mix of 5+ and 5- drivers, we were split into 2 convoys. @Scorpio took the lead of 5- drivers and @Optimus got us cool

I was the last car before sweeper @David with @Rashidjass.

Drive was just started and I started receiving calls from office with some urgent requirements which couldnt wait for the weekend. That got me a little distracted and it was very well picked by the marshal @Rashidjass, he pointed it out and that was enough to bring me back in the game.

@Optimus made sure he is giving taste of everything to the level drivers can cope up with, and every time someone was stuck @Barish and @rashidjass with David were present to support.

If you want to relive the moments we lived do check this small video.

See you all soon on the sand.

~BR
Paddy
It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep all your life.

:ninja: White FJ 17294 :ninja:
CARLOSS
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi everyone!

It was very pleasant to come back to the supporting role after the last CM drive as I had the opportunity to see how new members are getting stronger and met new people.

I was assigned within Scorpio’s convoy with Founder Shamsi floating around and most importantly watching ALL and myself taking care of the convoy’s tail as sweeper.

10 souls entered the selected playground and same amount left the place safely and without any major issue. Great outcome!

From the back of the convoy the “picture” is very nice specially in flat areas as you can easily see how most of the members are performing…members doing great and some others still sharpening their skills. At the end of the day, it does not matter too much as all may eventually master the dunes in due time…just a matter of practicing and keeping in mind the basic safety rules. So, don’t worry if you are still struggling a bit as it is part of the training program. The more you learn the more you will be challenged!

This being said, I had a lot of fun & passive training by observing the whole thing and witnessing firsthand how our founder manages all possible situations…in this cases, just make yourself comfortable, watch and learn!

On my side, I made sure that a couple of “lost” members were reconnected, dropped flag returned to his owner, deflating a few cars from 13-15 psi to 10 etc., a bit of “club’s housekeeping” I would say 😊

Looking forward for next opportunities to meeting all of you again.

Carlos
Last edited by CARLOSS on Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Intermediate
Intermediate

10- drive with the AD Faqqa side as starting point.

2 convoys, 1-5 lead by Scorpio and supported by Shamsi.

I was assigned as support to the 5-10 convoy, lead by Optimus and supported by Barish. Sweeping position with Rashid as passenger which made the drive even more enjoyable, not only driving but also having company and great conversation.

Straight crests the main exercise, some initial and normal issues with this type of obstacle that is basic to understanding the relationship between throttle and your car, not only important in straight crests but also needed the moment drivers move to side cresting. The most important rule in my opinion to remember is that it is 1000times better to have 2nd tries than to fly over the dune.

Newbie level is for learning the basics, don´t be afraid of having as many 2nd tries as needed, it is the way everyone learns, if stuck listen carefully to the Marshall´s instructions as in many occasions you might get away with a self-recovery if you do the right thing from the beginning.

Other than some problems at the start the convoy moved well, enjoying a gorgeous sunset at the end of the drive.

Many thanks to all of the Marshalls (and founder) and everyone else who attended the drive making it possible.

See you on the sand soon.
Barish
Marshal
Marshal

Hello everyone,

It was a promising afternoon signaling the weather change be very soon.

Attendance taken and briefing given by @optimus straight to the point. As we always says that these level of drives are more to get to know your cars, your fellow drivers, leads and support team as well as we get to know you. The more you do so, the more you get used to. The more you struggle, the better you will get to know the sand and your car behaviour and your skills. No shame of second tries, stucks unless you risk yourself or jeopardize others.

"Always improve while you are changing."

See you next time.

Barish
sandjose

Closing report from passenger seat (AKA the eagle chair 🚀) 

I started this drive with mixed emotions, as my car was stuck in the garage. However, fate had other plans, and I found myself in the passenger seat of Al Shamsi's vehicle 🤩. One great opportunity for me, we had a lot of conversations, the crazy habit, to hobby, to the inception of Almost4x4, to the incredible life journeys and experiences.

As we set out onto the desert trails, my experience was a roller coaster ride, quite different from my usual spot in the convoy. I had the chance to see the adventure from a whole new perspective.

What made this trip truly special was the opportunity I had to witness the art of recovery (a lot of, one would’ve been mine 😛). @alshamsi_m and @scorpio, being the pillars, generously provided opportunities for intermediate and advanced drivers to enhance their skills. This experience was a silver lining to my initial disappointment of not driving. During his duties as the floating marshal, he took time to show the ropes of conquering uphill curves, drifting, and maintaining stability on dune slopes. His dedication to sharing his knowledge was remarkable. One true mentor. I couldn't help but exclaim during one side cresting, "I'm definitely writing this trip report, even though I didn't get to drive!" 🤩🤩

As always the team had great fun with the adrenalin ups, downs and regular stucks. The only downside was that the coffee jug for our break was in the other convoy – talk about bad luck! 😄

This time I got a chance to see how the floating marshals position themselves as the eagle, watching over its flock. No matter where our trusty Scorpio took us, the support team was always on hand to provide assistance when needed.

What began as a trip filled with the weight of not being able to drive with the team transformed into a gem of an experience. Now I think when I have enough drives and understand the basics, I should do the co passenger role whenever possible. It’s equally important.

All thanks to the Marshals, intermediate, advanced members and all who supported the drive. Much appreciated. 💪

A󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠dventurous L󠀠eague of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠