Smooth Operator

basil

Id like to start thanking the lead @alshamsi_m and all the intermediates for the support.
During the briefing it was explained to us clearly that the objective of todays drive was keeping the right distance on the big climbs, and following the right track. Badayer is known for the numerous tracks all over the place so keeping too much distance would mean we could follow an incorrect track, and staying too close isnt a good idea either, hence we had to keep the right distance.
It was a really well sized convoy and the pace was really really good considering the size of the convoy.
Early in the drive one vehicle had mechanical issues and needed to leave us but we were luckly near the road at that time. Further into the drive, we had a pop out and saw again how to deal with the situation, and were quickly moving again.
I loved the pace of the drive, it kept me alert and my control over my car was increasing throughout.

Looking forward to a lot more drives to test the limits of my Xterra, with t he best offroading club in UAE !!!

Sanadshaikh

Another progressive newbie drive from Abu Salem and the team, a first in the infamous Badayer!
The day started off with the usual protocols, meet and greet, deflating and briefing. Having seen the big dunes of Badayer in videos and photos, I was a bit scared initially , especially after the convoy took off and reached the climbing point (big dunes ahead 😲). But having Abu Salem leading the convoy, Tom and and crew members constantly watching over newbies, communicating and guiding, put me at ease. After hitting the first few dunes and gliding through, the drive was super fun and exciting. On constant alert as we had to floor through and keep safe distance. Witnessed a few second tries and a pop out, which we got to learn a lot from. Abu Salem and team were quick to support, despite the scorching heat.

Big bad badayer isn't for the faint hearted. But I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Special thanks to Giorgio for organizing this unique drive 🙏🏾
Tomvanhouten
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello everyone,

I thought I was early and had plenty of time, but then one after another came to ask for help and that is exactly why we do the support. Love it!
Briefing with Shamsi, quickly and to the point and into the sands.

Now, normally I am not a fan of Badayer as it simply replicates SZR too much.. traffic and too much tracks. But then you didn't drive behind this grandmaster yet; smoothly and with ease the dunes were conquered and we had an amazing experience!

A few situations but without any issues, they were solved and we came out at the gas station area to get ready for the afternoon.

Thanks to everyone and see you next time

Tom
Aljamhi
Crew
Crew

Hello everyone,
My first trip report and sharing some great felling and other one scared feeling.
My day started from Abu Dhabi early morning. I reached and made all great and ready. The convey was great and I was at the tail of it.

There was dune clime then small crest I felt I can’t do it then I create track for my self and I think Pedro watched and surprised even for my decision and new track created I faced Pedro’s FJ 😱😱😱. I can see him saying what Aljamhi Doing.

Other action happened when Alshami asked to to the last dune. I shouted inside the car. I felt vibration (shaking) from inside.

Looking forward for joining soon. Thank you leaders.
brett
Crew
Crew

"Smooth Operator"

Dear Almosters
The name of the drive draws my mind back to a Song by Sade – perhaps the media crew can use in as sound drack for the drive video.
I woke early at 5am to reach the meeting point as early as possible. Having moved to Al Wasl gate the night before my travel distance to meeting point had more than doubled.
It was good to see everyone bright eyed and ready to roll in the early morning. Unfortunately the “smooth operator” himself @giorgio was unable to join us – but a big thank you to him for arranging the drive. We were fortunate that the ultimate “Smooth Operator” no less than our founder @alshamsi_m stepped in to take charge of the drive.
As mentioned Al Badayar is known for its corrugated tracks, soft sand and can be a nasty combination when trying to follow the correct track when traveling at a decent pace. I was most fortunate as I was put in 2nd lead so all I had to do was keep up with the leading car and hope the others could follow. With no floating marshal the convoy did a really good job of staying on track. We had a few second tries, one pop out and I think 1 or 2 recoveries – which is all to be expected at this level while the drivers learn the ability of their car – and more importantly their own ability to pilot the car given the conditions and their experience, brings to mind the mantra passed down to me time and time again as a Newbie – “it’s the Driver not the car!”
All in all the convoy did really well with @Alshamsi_m as always throwing in a few surprises, drops ditches, climbs to keep the drivers attention. We did loose one car in the first 10min due to a mechanical issue but other than that everyone managed to exit the dunes on time with some very happy faces. There are surely a few drivers who realized there is still much to be learned as they progress and add to their drive count, so food for thought between now and the next drive.
Key Take Aways
- Radio communication
- Following distance – not too close, not to far
- Keeping the right pace
- Don’t be in a hurry, everyone develops at their own pace – enjoy the journey

Rather than just reading the drive reports of other – write your own and remind yourself of what you have learned and how you can sharpen your skills going forward.

Thanks to all the Intermediates who joined for your support and of course, the media crew for recording the trip for prosperity. A Special thanks to @Laarni for her video. Media @Sorin [
@mpodroid and @Ehab The Intermediates @Tomvanhouten , @PedroLeal Not forgetting @Martin for being designated sweeper – never an enjoyable task at the back in this area with the track completely chewed up.
Last edited by brett on Thu May 25, 2023 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Until the next Adventure

Brett
Red Baron
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello everyone

I would like to thank @giorgio for considering the 10 - since we have some members trying to get more experience with the club to be able to join Salalah Adventure 2023.

Al Badayer is one my best areas during the summer because it has less drivers compared to winter!!!!

It was good opportunity to practice distance and following the right line. We were lucky to have some breeze which made our drive manageable till the end.

We finished at the petrol station to inflate away from the dust and chill before we say goodbye. Some members topped up and drove directly to the second drive.

Till next stay safe

Shamsi
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Vika

Hello everyone! pacman

Finally back to reality after a colourful weekend and I want to share my report. There is nothing better than starting Saturday with the sunrise in the company of your favorite club in love
The name of the morning drive "Smooth Operator", the meeting point - Al Badayer, organized by @giorgio , made me doubt the smoothness of this drive a little. Meeting time 7.00am. After a short briefing with @alshamsi_m where it was mentioned that Giorgio, unfortunately, could not attend it and Shamsi himself was leading the drive, made me doubt even more. Nothing can be smooth, when the operator is @alshamsi_m :bouaaaaah:
@brett is the second lead, I was assigned as the car number 5, following @Tomvanhouten @Martin is sweeping.
The main tasks of the drive were:
- Radio communication
- Distance
-The ability to keep a car in front of you, and preferably two
- The ability to maintain a certain speed not to lose the right truck and, of course, not to put yourself and other participants in dangerous situations!!!

The drive was quite intense, fast, mostly including a large number of safari-style arches, climbs, straight to side and side to straight crests, few drops.

There were several second attempts on my part, I also managed to lose the right truck, but @Brett reacted in time and returned me to the waiting convoy. There were also several rescue situations and one pop-out for educational purposes thumbsup

For me personally, the highlight of this drive was that children need special attention and where they are, considering the high risk of our hobby. A huge request to all participants who take small children with them, please keep them close to you and do not leave them unattended ouch...it hurts

Big Thanks to all, who made this drive possible!

Till the next time....
Yours Vika in love
"The most effective way to do it, is just to do it"
Paddy

With a very busy week I finally was able to manage time to comeback and share my experience of this amazing drive organised by @giorgio and led by none other than @alshamsi_m.

I am not sure if I can describe the ride better as other members have done it beautifully in their report.

I can just say that I am grateful to @giorgio for letting me be a part of the ride and @alshamsi_m for giving us most needed lessons for/about desert.

As it can as painful as it is enjoyable, if done wrong.

I attended couple of rides with other groups and continued with only almost4x4 because here everyone cares for one another and that reflects in every single drive, which started with the first drive I did with @Rashid.

Just looking forward for learning more and more in each drive, and hope will be able to make every member in almost proud.
Last edited by Phoenix on Fri May 26, 2023 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Nametags Fixed
It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep all your life.

:ninja: White FJ 17294 :ninja: