G Force

orlantsev
Advance
Advance

Thanks to @optimus for posting the drive on Monday when it was already not expected. I initially confused the area with Al Quaa and was preparing for a long drive (even from Abu Dhabi), but the GPS showed less than 1.5 hour drive which was good. Last 10 km to the meeting point was a gatch road - a good warm up ahead of the drive! Some people camped in the area the night before, so there were already a few members upon arrival. The start point was some 6 km away which we reached on sabkha. The convoy did not have any particular order and it was 'last man standing rule'. As soon as we started the drive we were already in big dunes and convoy got disconnected due to big gaps. The terrain is beautiful with big bowls and sharp crests. After some time convoy performance got better which was probably a combination of warm up and slightly smaller dunes. Some areas were even fairly technical. We finished on time with an opportunity to watch a beautiful sunset. I wish all challengers good luck next week at the GPS challenge, which unfortunately I will miss due to travel.
David
Intermediate
Intermediate

Great to go back to Umm Al Oush after such a long time.

Afternoon drive in a fantastic location with a Marshall that likes to push it from the start, excited about the drive all week.

Optimus leading, Mahmood 2nd lead and the rest of the convoy in whatever position we fancied with "last man standing" applying, perfect. A bit of hesitation by my fellow interms so happy to get myself in 3rd.

We moved East to start half way down the chain, in the sector where the bigger dune formations are (but still leaving 3-4 of the big ones to the East untouched), that initial part of the drive the best for me, Optimus likes to push the lines and that was so much fun. Also really enjoyed a sector in the middle where the dunes where not that big but the pace was great, always cresting on an upwards trajectory to increase the level of difficulty.

I must admit I was a bit curious to see how I would feel with the FJ in bigger dunes as the 1st time going there, extremely happy, everything under control nicely with a big smile on my face, now I can not wait for the next one, hopefully a full day drive this time.

Thank you to my amazing interm friends for always being there, no matter where and when always in good numbers and even better spirits, Mahmood and Orlantsev for attending to support the drive, Shamsi, Scorpio (now owning again a FJ so getting excited already for what is coming our way ... cool ) and Rashid for keeping an eye on us and of course Optimus for an amazing drive!!! (btw Optimus, when is the next one ... ??? pacman )

See you on the sand soon.
brett
Crew
Crew

Hi Almosters
The only way for me to explain the drive is WOW !
Thanks to @optimus for posting and leading the drive. Thanks to @alshamsi_m @Scorpio and @Rashidjass for floating and watching over us
Thanks to @Mahmoodyasin for great 2nd lead. And @orlantsev for sweeping.
As @David mentioned the first part was a bit messy - losing the track etc. Sorry everyone that was mostly due to my relative inexperience at this level. But as I said WOW once I found my groove the drive was amazing.
Now I just need to sort out the problem of my FJ bouncing like a kangaroo - partly caused by the suspension but likely more a need to modify my driving !!
Thanks to the tolerance and patients of all the other more experienced intermediates. Again apologies for the delays.
It was certainly worth the 2.5hr drive to and from the meeting point. But we'll worth it.

Now to study my Garmin and sharpen navigation skills ahead of next week's GPS Challenge
Until the next Adventure

Brett
Red Baron
Tomvanhouten
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi everyone,

This drive being posted by @optimus could mean nothing but fun!
And so it went.. we started off driving and immediately the only thing on my mind: Damn, I missed this!
Put your foot down and don't hesitate, really good to do these kind of drives again!

The area is real blast, just for the looks of it already. I decided to camp the night before and I was a bit early compared to the rest, so I was sitting and relaxing for about two hours with no cars around me at all, even at the gatch road (400m away) there was absolutely nothing but silence. Really loved it.

Back to drive, only one word: absolutely great organization, track and convoy, thanks to everyone!

See you next time

Tom
Mahmoodyasin
Advance
Advance

Hi All
G-Force drive did justice to the name! Area full of challenging dunes makes one keep the concentration level high, for not only being safe but also to make sure the lead car doesn't disappear. thumbsup
@optimus kept the pace high right from the start with no mercy banner on his tail. Drive full of surprises having steep climbs, 90deg crests and long arches on the walls.
There were few occasions where the convoy got disconnected, understandably due to the pace of the leading car and the convoy stretching upto10 cars.
Since it was a mix of old and not that old Psmiley intermediates, the second tries were expected but the spirit kept the convoy moving.
There were few spots where some of the drivers struggled but this was taken as a learning experience and thr daunting task just polished their skills. @optimus planned the track well, where he provided a mix of technical and challenging experience. The drive ended on time with lot of smiley faces and happy customers.

thankyou in love
@optimus for an amazing drive.
@Rashidjass @Scorpio @alshamsi_m for the guidance and watching our backs.
intermediates for the wonderful company
@orlantsev for the support.

till next time
Mahmoodyasin
white Fj cruiser
(blizzard)
Last edited by Mahmoodyasin on Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CARLOSS
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi everyone!

First thing first, even though brown pants were mandatory for this drive fortunately, there was no need to burn them all after the drive! ORLY

First time in Umm Al Oush and I am sure that it won’t be the last one…every minute of the almost five hours communing (in & out) was paid off with only the 1st hour driving. We could have finished just after that, and the drive was already worth it. thumbsup

Beyond the technical details of the drive, playground, etc., to me, the most important things are the way you feel while driving (a) and the “aftertaste” that keeps in your mind for the next few days (b).

(a) I was completely excited & focused since the very beginning enjoying every single minute of the drive (1st hour, again, it was epic), I felt the car under control performing like never before and I got into the zone in which everything was making perfect becoming completely integrated within the car. Big dunes, bowls, medium dunes with never-ending side crossing…on man! It was like surfing on the dunes. cool I read that the first part was a bit messy for some, but for not me, as in the front of the convoy the flow was amazing. In one of the breaks I was even asked for something said on the radio and I was so immerse on the driving that I could not hear/remember anything. wtfsmilie

(b) Only after special drives I have this “sweet aftertaste” that lasts for a few days and G force was one of them. Off the top of my mind, I got similar ones such as GNFD, All lead, A fistful of Dunes, Heads will role, The Long Scout…, and almost 2 days after it, I still have this embarrassing smile in my face showing that the drive was a blast! thumbsup

Now the negative part patapon : After more than 2 hours of glorious driving I must confess that I let myself go at the end of the drive (level was not that high) and made a stupid mistake (too fast and sharp turn while approaching a dune) due to overconfidence causing a pop-out and wasting some convoy’s time. Lesson learned for the next ones, hope it won’t happen again redbullsmiley , sorry guys and thanks for the quick support.

At this stage, I should have already proceeded with the acknowledgements…while writing I have also achieved flow state (I may need to visit the psychologist): Thanks @optimus for organizing, leading and showing us “how it is done”; Master of Masters @alshamsi_m , for keeping an eye on all of us even though he did not appreciate Psmiley the first convoy’s set up after Mahmood (David, Sorin and myself following) and @Rashidjass & @Scorpio as a “combo” for staying vigilant all the time. Same for both @Mahmoodyasin (always nice to get your advice) and @orlantsev . And my mates, who did really well thumbsup

I cannot wait for the next inter drive (full day drive, inshallah).

Cheers
Carlos
optimus
Marshal
Marshal

Drive : G force
Area : Umm Al Oush
lead & organizer : myself
level : Intermediate
Supporting Marshal : @alshamsi_m @Rashidjass @Scorpio
Adv Support : @Mahmoodyasin @orlantsev

I got together with the group at the entrance of the chain around 1345.
Together we drove around 10 miles to the east. I had studied the area before & found out that there are some nice star fist dunes towards the other end east side.
The plan was to start the drive into the sun & hitting directly the big dunes first since the drivers would be high on energy, fully concentrated rather than keeping it for the end when normally the convoy normally lacks concentration.

The briefing was given at the start point. I mentioned that there is nothing more important than going back home safe and with good memories. Apply the last man standing rule.
Follow the basics & protect yourself. I must say that everyone did great!

We drove at high level but not even once did things blindly.
Driving & being safe at such level requires high level skill which comes with experience and that's why there were few requirements to qualify. Some other intermediates couldn't make it this time but I am sure that will join us in the next!

The area was interesting & it required every bit of horsepower we could get from the engines.
The sand was soft, we had to push our cars even harder. It was a mixture Star fish dunes, high climbs combined with side crests & even technical which was an opportunity to practice everything.

I even felt more comfortable having a power house support around.
Thanks to -
@alshamsi_m
@Rashidjass
@Scorpio
my 2nd lead @Mahmoodyasin
@orlantsev

& ofcourse thanks to my intermediates
@brett
@CARLOSS
@David
@Ehab
@ImranFJ
@mpodroid
@Sorin
@Tomvanhouten

It was a great fun filled day!

Until next time
Optimus
Black FJ (The Godfather)
Scorpio
Marshal
Marshal

Hello Everyone,

I have been away for some months and was looking for a playground to take off the rust; thanks to @optimus who managed to pull this wonderful drive from his sleeve thumbsup

Since I saw you guys driving after a break, I was able to spot some great improvement in you and was glad to see that cool. Me and @Rashidjass rode together and watched the convoy cruising over some nice dunes. It’s always a big strength having @alshamsi_m around and providing valuable guidance on the drive, terrain and the convoy.

Marshals usually place an Advanced member in such intermediate drives as 2nd lead and @Mahmoodyasin played the perfect role of a safe 2nd lead. The drive was just beautiful and the lead marshal gave some taste to the inters of some high revs cresting in a controlled manner. Last man standing technique helps to keep the pace intact and you will get used to it with some more practice. The second try is healthy to learn the optimum pace & power required to conquer dunes of these sizes. I would say it was a good practice yet really enjoyable.

@David, your wish is going to be granted very soon! :ka_boom:

Cheers
Scorpio
+971 55 5804488
Drives a grey FJ 'Everest'
The race for excellence has no finish line!
David
Intermediate
Intermediate

killzonesmiley Full day big dunes ... cant wait!!! thumbsup
Scorpio wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:25 pm Hello Everyone,

I have been away for some months and was looking for a playground to take off the rust; thanks to @optimus who managed to pull this wonderful drive from his sleeve thumbsup

Since I saw you guys driving after a break, I was able to spot some great improvement in you and was glad to see that cool. Me and @Rashidjass rode together and watched the convoy cruising over some nice dunes. It’s always a big strength having @alshamsi_m around and providing valuable guidance on the drive, terrain and the convoy.

Marshals usually place an Advanced member in such intermediate drives as 2nd lead and @Mahmoodyasin played the perfect role of a safe 2nd lead. The drive was just beautiful and the lead marshal gave some taste to the inters of some high revs cresting in a controlled manner. Last man standing technique helps to keep the pace intact and you will get used to it with some more practice. The second try is healthy to learn the optimum pace & power required to conquer dunes of these sizes. I would say it was a good practice yet really enjoyable.

@David, your wish is going to be granted very soon! :ka_boom:

Cheers
Sorin
media
media

Greetings everyone,

I’ve had a really great time in the beautiful dunes of Umm Al Oush with the gang and perhaps more drives can be organized in this area as it’s not that far from Dubai but the dunes are amazing and very challenging.

Everyone drove very well and the time just flew by like crazy.

Below is just a small part of the drive complied a video:

I approve this message ⬆️