Rescue The Marshals - Never Ended Digging

basil

Hey Almosters,

I'd like to start my report thanking @alshamsi_m and everyone else involved for this unique trip.

I accidentally set the wrong co-ordinates and head to the wrong direction, so I reached the location a little late, but I managed to reach in time to not get left behind. Having missed the briefing I was confused why all the jeeps ahead of me were getting stuck so easily. After a while I noticed it was because they hadn't deflated their tyres. The objective was to get stuck and recover from it.

This trip was essentially a recovery training, targeting scenarios when were stuck without experts to aid us. We had a detail theoretical explanation of scenarios by @alshamsi_m , followed by an opportunity to get our own stuck and recover our cars in pairs. As I was a part of the audience I didnt do so myself but there was plenty to learn from .

After we were done we had a short drive after sunset to Qudra, it was my first drive in the dark, and I loved it !

Thank you again to everyone who made this possible !

See you in the sand .
Tomvanhouten
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello everyone,

after a long year, it was time again for Rescue the Marshal. These events never disappoint!

A cool and lovely afternoon in the sand, a good amount of people gathered and the sight of ever digging trainees.. ORLY
What can we ask for more...

After a good briefing, the 'diggers' were finally set off to get stuck and some really managed to do just that! cool
Cars covered in sand and the diggers covered in sweat..what do you do to relax?! meta knight
Above all, this training is so important to do and attending again (as general public) still makes you learn.
Absolutely lovely event and a nice drive afterwards.

Thanks everyone

Tom
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello everyone

We had a very big crowd to attend this training day , also this is the first time to have a sponsor for RTM because of the reputation and the positive feedback from the previous years.

I would like to thank @Solmaz and @Rashidjass for the support with the Stuck cars

I apologise for not letting you dig enough as promised but I am going to make another drive for you with Mr. 😎

We had a great day in the sand and I hope we added to your knowledge

Best regards
Shamsi

Related topics:
1. Stuck car basics
2. Side Stuck

See how to pull with viking rope , snatch and release
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
David
Intermediate
Intermediate

My first RTM as audience and also 1st time in the sand for "Sapoconcho" so a very interesting day for me.

I do believe RTM is a critical day that summarizes really well what Almost 4x4 wants to prepare us for, to be independent off-roaders.

Great attendance and everyone in really good spirits, kind of a festive mood which is always great to see.

After Shamsi's masterclass on rescue techniques and equipment it was time to get the shovels and ropes to work, great effort from everyone.

Since night caught up with us while still digging we were treated to a easy night drive to Al Qudra where some of us stayed for a bit after inflating enjoying the company of friends and great conversation.

See you on the sand soon.
brett
Crew
Crew

Dear Almosters
I guess its time for one of the participating “Trainee’s to post a report.
Firstly thanks to @alshamsi_m for arranging this event and to supporting marshals @Solmaz and @Rashidjass
Last year I was a passenger with @Rashidjass so I was familiar with how the training would be conducted.
The “drive” to the seating area was the being of the training – drive in without deflating ! let the fun begin !! sure enough on the drive in a number of trainees managed to get stuck in the exceptionally soft sand. The trick of course is momentum not too fast not too slow – easier said than done.
One hapless fellow in a jeep managed to get fully stuck on a straight crest – here I was about to have my first “learning experience” for the day. Doing a Viking rope recovery from the back – I was unable to give the required pull and snap, so the jeep did not budge !! I also managed to get my nondeflated vehicle “stuck” – lesson learned don’t try to do a recovery with fully inflated tires ! as a novel experience a group of helpful bystanders including @Rashidjass under the direction of @Solmaz all chipped in and gave the Wasp a helpful push from the front and bingo I was out ! the video is very funny
Once everyone finally arrived at the seating area – it was already getting late. @alshamsi_m gave a fantastic briefing of the does and don’ts of recovery in various scenarios and fully explained the essential tools we need to carry and how they are used.
Then it was play time we buddied up and headed off to put the theory into practice. I partnered with @galindakis he crested first and then successfully managed to push all the magic FJ buttons and self-recover. 2nd cresting attempt and he was completely bellied – we dug, and we dug, and we dug – with the wind blowing across the dune and sand flying everywhere. We were visited by a smiling @Rashidjass and his copilot for the day @AZK89 who handed us much needed JassAuto bandanas eventually we had dug enough, and the FJ managed to reverse off the crest.

I am somewhat known for getting crested sometimes on the easiest of straight crosses – but maybe all the experience has finally paid off – I could not manage to get crested ! wait until the next -5 drives and I will manage it LOL.

We then went to the flat area and managed to get stuck by applying 2WD and letting the cars bury in the soft sand we did magic button self-recoveries and the practiced the Viking rope recovery techniques. The Wasp was also used as stuck victim for others to recover, with the instruction I was given – “just put it in “N” and let them pull. Even a Jeep eventually managed to pull me successfully after 3 or 4 attempts getting that “snap” right.

Thanks also to @Tomvanhouten and @David attending to also keep a watchful eye over the group, and at the ready to be called upon if required.

Unfortunately, darkness had fallen, and the games came to an end – we then had an uneventful fun drive – dash back to Al Qudra to inflate , then had head home with a head full of new information and learnings for use in our drives of the future
Until the next Adventure

Brett
Red Baron
galindakis
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi all

This was a long waited drive for me. One of the reasons I chose to drive with this club is the importance they put in teaching correct techniques and safety first philosophy.

We started with a super fun drive without deflating to reach the sitting area where @Shamsi did a fantastic job explaining all the tools and a lot of possible scenarios in the desert when being alone or in group.

then we had time to partner in my case with @brett and we practice getting crested and then stuck in flat soft sand. For me it was key to understand the real process behind a pull with a Viking rope, really really interesting and useful.

Thanks a lot to all the members, crew and marshals for supporting and allow us to improve a little bit each drive.

See you in the sand.
Ehab
media
media

The most beneficial trip in the club in my opinion, how to self recover in case you are stuck. Great attendance and well organized trip.

Enjoy watching
Martin

Another bucket list event ticked off and so much was learned.

We had a very quick pre-briefing, briefing at the meeting point. As one of the students for the evening, I was instructed to leave my tires fully inflated but fix a flag as usual then line up. I think I can guess what kind of chaos this going to cause and I was right. We followed what would normally be a super easy track but with 36PSI you basically had to keep momentum over even the smallest climb. After some time one of the wranglers lost that momentum in some soft sand and got himself stuck on flat ground. This made it difficult to recover him, we dug a little to give him a chance and then myself, @Preggy, @jcarlosgarme and a few others had to give him a heavy push to give him enough to move out of the situation.

The same wrangler then faced another issue by cresting about 50 metres later TT TT
This was a bit more difficult to get out (without the training we were about to receive). @brett made a valient effort to pull him but found this difficult with fully inflated tires and had to bail on that idea. We tried a few more ideas including digging and bruit force pushing but eventually had to call in a marshall with deflated tires to give him a pull.

We then all eventually made it the rest of the way to the second meeting point of the day where we would start the learning portion of the event.

@alshamsi_m got straight into one of the most informative guidance since my first Club Member drive back in 2019 cool

We learning about why the equipment we have been carrying sine earning our first star as well as why it is advisable now we are moving into the more experienced levels to look at getting a few other parts for emergency situations. He then went through some of the likely stuck situations we could face in the future and what we should look for and the best ways to help the stuck car recover from the situation. There were so many hints and tips that I only hope I can remember everything for when I need it (or get crossed examined by a marshall ).

Next was a chance to experiment with our new knowledge. We were told to pair up and both get stuck. One was to get stuck in a flat area (me) and the other was to get properly stuck on a crest (@jcarlosgarme). Our only initial recover tool would be a shovel and elbow grease.

I got very stuck in some soft sand so that I no longer had traction, then @jcarlosgarme (a new FJ owner) asked me to show him how the ATRAC and Diff locker on the FJ worked to get out so I quickly switched on those tricks and the "appliance" showed just how easily it can easily self recover. I then got stuck again, this time even more so. We both had a good look at the situation and made a game plan. We got the shovels out and focussed our efforts on clearing the rear of the car, especially around the differential. It took quite some time but once we were sure there was enough clearance for the rear tires to get traction I got in and with a little back and forward (no tricks allowed) I got the FJ out.

Then @jcarlosgarme found a pointy crest and balanced his FJ perfectly on top with all 4 wheels in the air. Good job Carlos, maybe too good?

Again we both reviewed the situation and made a plan. It looked like the car was sitting a little more on the rear so again we got the shovels out started clearing the sand in a way that would hopefully allow the car to sit back enough to get traction on the rear. It took a lot more digging than I thought it would but eventually we could see the rear wheels had traction and there was enough clearance around the car for it to get itself out.

Now completely knackered but proud of ourselves we headed to where everyone was meeting after the practical part. The light had completely gone so it was decided that the rescue marshalls part would be cancelled and we then had a surprise night drive back to Al Qudra which was a nice way to finish.

Thanks for all the knowledge @alshamsi_m
Thanks for the support @brett , @Ehab , @mpodroid , @Rashidjass , @Rathica , @Sorin , @Tomvanhouten & @Solmaz + @Johanna