Glory

Martin

I know it only partially makes up for not attending this years Salalah drive but I had a great drive today. Lots to keep us entertained, even if it wasn’t waterfalls and luscious green landscapes.

Everyone one arrived at the start point on time and we were ready to go on schedule. This was a side of Al Faqaa that I don’t think I’ve driven before so another great experience and my knowledge of UAEs desert continues to grow.

We set off and @optimus immediately had us tackling some lovely arcs. I had to back off a couple of them because my momentum wasn’t going to be enough. I felt confident that I had made the right decision to take the easier line or change course and drive down dune to safely.

We then increased the level slightly and we’re taking some easy side cresting. This was as lot of fun and I’m sure great peroration for more intense drives in the future.

An hour or so into the drive we unfortunately had a mechanical issue with the drive shaft with there second lead. So there was a slight delay while that was all sorted and his car was towed to the safety of the road.

I put myself forward to be second lead, even after @optimus had told us of his previous bad luck with second leads having mechanical issues. Fingers crossed I guess.

Once we were going I was really enjoying following the lead track and I think reducing my tire pressure slightly had also helped with my ability to tackle some of the bigger dunes.

I did make a bit of an error while turning into a challenge though. This meant a stop while @Preggy & @orlantsev helped me get the tire back on and back on track. Thanks also to @Solmaz for her compressor and Helpling me fix the valve stem after I dropped it in the sand (doh)

The rest of the drive was alot of fun. Lovely sweeping lines from the lead and not much in the way of trouble with the group. It was even mentioned that the radio was “too” quiet and the support wanted more to do. I guess the 10+ drivers are all doing something right.

They did get something to do near the end though. Optimus found a climb too challenging for us so he suggested I take a different route. Unfortunately for me that meant I found myself in crazy soft sand that we will forever call “the trap”. With some guidance @Rashidjass and the other support guys the FJ eventually got itself out with a little help from A-TRAC and the steering wheel. The 3rd car also ended up getting stuck after me and even the valiant effort of @Rashidjass couldn’t self recover. So @orlantsev had to do a dead pill with 2 ropes to get the FJ of @Deadpool out.

Another great drive with lots to think about and a great experience.

No video today as my GoPro somehow died at the begging of the drive.

Can’t wait for the next drive soon.
Kevin

Not getting to attend as often as I would like I was very excited to make this 10+ drive and return to the Al Faqa area, where I was really looking forward to some of the bigger dunes and some free flowing fast paced driving.

As @Martin mentioned we were on the South side of Al Faqa starting in a new area for most of us. I arrived only 5 mins before the meeting time to find only @Deadpool waiting. After a short discussion as to whether we were in the right place we started to deflate. In short order @orlantsev ,@jcarlosgarme ,@Martin ,@Preggy , @ivantorrellas , @Cyndi ,@Rathica and @Rashidjass arrived.

Quick hellos and catch ups and @Solmaz and @optimus arrived to start the brief.

Being one of only 2 Jeeps attending and the rest of the convoy all being FJ cruisers it was time to keep the Jeeps reputation on track (ahem).

A good start when @optimus asked if I could be his 2nd lead! Excited for the challenge we all lined up ready for the action with @Rashidjass and @Solmaz floating and @orlantsev sweeping.

The first part of the drive was mainly technical small dunes with some bumpy areas and a lot of vegetation, but we were soon side cresting and picking up the pace. After a while it was mentioned over the radio there was very little chatter, with no second tries or other problems. Soon we were achieving large arcs across the growing dunes and some small climbs with more side cresting.

About half way through the drive and traversing the crest of a dune I found myself being the first to cause plenty of radio chatter! Running out of power and crested @Martin had to break off behind me and the convoy came to a stop. A quick assessment and I announced I could self recover, so a little jiggling and I was descending to flat ground to regroup.

However, as soon as I turned off the dune strange noises were in the air! No, I’m not talking about the commentary. Something didn’t sound right. At the bottom I got out and inspected the vehicle, wondering if I was dragging something or if I had a pop out or some obvious problem. Nothing obvious so @Rashidjass led the way back up the dune.

As I tried to follow an unusual lack of power was apparent so I stopped short and tried to reverse. At this point I start digging holes with my front wheels… Only my front wheels…

The rear drive shaft bearing was shot. No rear wheel drive.

Thank you so much to @Rashidjass @Solmaz and @optimus for the Almost family support. A special thanks to @Rashidjass who towed me to a safe spot and helped me recover the vehicle, later in the day! True hero.

While disappointed to have broken down just as the biggest dunes started, the second half of the drive was a special bonus as @Rashidjass passenger! Getting to see the drive from every vantage point seemingly all at the same time and observing how the true professionals do it!
orlantsev
Advance
Advance

Hello all,

it was great to see that we still had a trip this weekend despite many members travelling to Salalah. I eagerly joined, since I would be away for couple of weeks and not attending could mean almost 1.5 months without a drive. I was at @Rashidjass garage during the week and had an idea where were going. I have seen more and more people started to use Gaia app so I also decided to give it a go and transferred the tracks from Garmin to it and drove with both. Initially I could recall driving in the past from Naheel to Al Faqa, but not in the opposite direction. However, once the track upload was completed I realized that I also did this route in the past.

I was supposed to have a passenger with me, but he did not wake up. Idea as to have somebody to entertain me during 1 hr 45 min morning drive to the meeting point.

It was me who said at the end of an hour that convoy as doing so well that there was no radio sounds at all. This was despite several side crests introduced by @optimus . Drivers were lucky to experience this as it normally would occur at intermediate level.

After the mechanical issue with one car, we had two pop-outs, few second tries, and a car which sunk in an extremely soft sand. The recoveries were mostly needed for the floating cars which we solved quickly without stopping the convoy.

As the day progressed the sand became very hard to read. we finished slightly later than planned, but all in all people were happy and I was even happier as my return journey to Abu Dhabi was less than an hour.
jcarlosgarme

Hello Almost family:

Another day of happiness out in the desert. Meeting point in Al Faqa area, and everything went smooth early on. Debrief sharp on time by @optimus , second lead @Kevin followed by newbies @Martin @Deadpool myself, @Preggy @Cyndi @ivantorrellas more or less in that order. @Rathica then came in the middle of convoy thankfully to make sure we have some guidance. @Solmaz and @Rashidjass floated, @orlantsev sweeping... it was one of those free flowing drives where everything seems to be moving all right... just up to the point when someone said it is very quiet here, we are missing rescues..s ORLY

Unfortunately, @Kevin had to take his car out but bravely came back as supporting passenger. Kudos! hope your car is back on track now!

At the beginning rumors were we were going to Nahil but we ended up in Sweihan petrol station, more than 60 km driving. That was awesome, all with side cresting, fast driving, technical areas, soft sand. The drive had it all... Here lessons from this drive.

Tinting windows?
My car came with tinted windows, DEFO I will take them out. It is quite difficult for me to clearly see the dunes. A big difference when I lowered them both. Specially in arches, or side crests. It is probably more the fact of inexperience but I really prefer less tinting here.

Side crest and then what?
Going up hill, take the crest, ridge ride a bit... it is fun and that's the easy part for me... but going down the other side is tricky. This requires practice, and next time I will ask experienced drivers about do's and don'ts... in a couple of cases my car did some fish tails unexpectedly wtfsmilie . This is similar to the saying "taking of is easy... landing is the toughest part". Let's keep practicing.

Listen to the marshal's advice!
In a previous drive led by @giorgio, his advice was to get proper tyres, few days later @Mahmoodyasin also shared the same advice so nothing less than RashidJass auto garage to help!!.. for all newbies that haven't try this... Is a big difference, you feel the traction straight away. Sometimes unexpectedly but this is something one can easily get used to. THANK YOU

Side crest training day.
I kept reading the posts for this drive and previous where I did not attend, I think I was lucky to have the second drive with side crest beginners level. It is very exiting but requires lots of practice. I do appreciate a lot the step by step lessons. Nothing like Almost4x4. cool

I know Salalah is taking all the attention these days, but for the few of us in the sand on Saturday I believe we did had a day to remember.

See you soon!

Carlos (b)