Just another Drive

giorgio
Marshal
Marshal

Just another drive was simple, just another drive.

A 10+ drive from Madam to Badayer flyover on a beautiful cool morning.

The drive was supposed to be a fast pace drive but as always what is planned it is not what it ends up to be. As we all know this is a very popular area that attracts many clubs so the sand is always chewed up and bumpy.  

The convoy faced several delays mostly from second tries and lost track.

Radio communication was satisfactory as well as the level of safety from all drivers.

Couple of observations:

Always stick on the track that the lead car has designed for the convoy. There is a reason that the lead car does not draw bigger and higher arches on the big dunes. We work based on the level of the drive and not on what each driver can do individually.
Deviating from the track you risk the car/is following you. So always stay on the track and do not raise the level.

When stuck on a slope sideways, stop and wait for instructions. Being stuck sideways on a slope is always a tricky situation. The decision of  moving forward or reversing can make a difference between continuing the drive or having to have your car pulled out from the desert.   At this level you will need gaudiness and assistance to make the correct decision until you reach a higher level that it will be a second nature to you of which way is the safe gateway.

Reversing down from a steep failed climb is another skill that you will need to master in this early stage of off-roading.
Once you fail to complete the climb you will need to SLOWLY reverse pointing the back of your car towards the direction that gravity pulls your car and not fighting the gravitational forces exerted on your car. SLOW and study with no rash to turn mid of the dune is the key. Take your time and complete the descent safely.

Closing my report I would like to thank @baris which as always was there to assist every single rescue along with the supporting team.
A big thank you to all the drivers of the convoy that did their best to cope with the challenges of the drive. @ivantorrellas as a second lead did a good job keeping the convoy safe and @Mohanad as a swiper ensured that no one was left behind. Finally or advance drivers @Issa and @haider alnuaimi which were floating completed their task of rescuing and keeping the convoy safe with success

Until next time drive all safe and looking forward to see you all soon  
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of the sheep
brett
Crew
Crew

Dear All
It may have been “just another drive “ but it was still a great morning in the dunes.
I was somewhere in the middle of the convoy so managed in the most part to stay both on the pace and on the right track.
I was also taking the opportunity to try out different combinations of gear selection and throttle control. While driving at this level i found 2nd gear to be effective in almost all situations. Except when attempting a steepish climb from having little or no run up. Buy the time my momentum dropped and it kicked down to 1st gear it was too late and i had to turn down before completing the climb ! Lesson learnt !!
Other times i was still on the gas too much and doing my usual kangaroo bounce. Still lots to master. But i feel i am improving (slowly slowly)
Being positioned in the convoy where i was, i observed many of the points raised by @giorgio ( how does he see all that while leading? )
I admit it is always tempting to do a higher arch than the cars in front have done when you feel you can. But as pointed out this is risky for the driver behind so i resisted that urge. Following @Jasper was an absolute pleasure as the car in front of me he set a fantastic line for me to follow given the completely tracked out lines.
The flow was not great due to the stucks and second tries but overall it was still a great drive and a valuable learning experience. Thanks also to the ever present commander in chief of field operations and recoveries @Barish man he is everywhere ! And his advice is unquestionable.

My major fail of the day - on the flat track to exit the drive the lead cars vanished in front of me ?? Seems the took a sneaky turn up ahead while 5min earlier i had let a lone ranger ahead of me go off in a different direction while i followed @jcarlosgarme with hi senior passengers
End of the day we finished the drive together at the correct point. Joked laughed and had a laugh while inflating.
Thank you everyone. Looking forward to the next time
And the night drives !!
Until the next Adventure

Brett
Red Baron
giorgio
Marshal
Marshal

brett wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:54 pm Dear All
It may have been “just another drive “ but it was still a great morning in the dunes.
I was somewhere in the middle of the convoy so managed in the most part to stay both on the pace and on the right track.
I was also taking the opportunity to try out different combinations of gear selection and throttle control. While driving at this level i found 2nd gear to be effective in almost all situations. Except when attempting a steepish climb from having little or no run up. Buy the time my momentum dropped and it kicked down to 1st gear it was too late and i had to turn down before completing the climb ! Lesson learnt !!
Other times i was still on the gas too much and doing my usual kangaroo bounce. Still lots to master. But i feel i am improving (slowly slowly)
Being positioned in the convoy where i was, i observed many of the points raised by @giorgio ( how does he see all that while leading? )
I admit it is always tempting to do a higher arch than the cars in front have done when you feel you can. But as pointed out this is risky for the driver behind so i resisted that urge. Following @Jasper was an absolute pleasure as the car in front of me he set a fantastic line for me to follow given the completely tracked out lines.
The flow was not great due to the stucks and second tries but overall it was still a great drive and a valuable learning experience. Thanks also to the ever present commander in chief of field operations and recoveries @Barish man he is everywhere ! And his advice is unquestionable.

My major fail of the day - on the flat track to exit the drive the lead cars vanished in front of me ?? Seems the took a sneaky turn up ahead while 5min earlier i had let a lone ranger ahead of me go off in a different direction while i followed @jcarlosgarme with hi senior passengers
End of the day we finished the drive together at the correct point. Joked laughed and had a laugh while inflating.
Thank you everyone. Looking forward to the next time
And the night drives !!

Don't forget the drive is not over until we all come to a complete stop. Some members thought that Badayer shops was the end point of the drive which that was not the case.
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of the sheep
brett
Crew
Crew

@giorgio
Seems maybe it was only you and I were the only ones on the drive !
Or the others are still out there driving as there are no Other drive reports
Until the next Adventure

Brett
Red Baron
nidal78
media
media

Hi everyone
Late report better than nothing 😁
First of all I would like to thank Giorgio for organizing this beautiful drive
The area was amazing, mixed of technical, high dunes and big bowls
The plan for this drive was to make it fast pace, but due difficulties some drivers had our leader Giorgio decided to lower the pace, although he did that but he ensure the full enjoyment for us 🤩
We did some nice climbs, big and medium arches
and I am sure all the drivers enjoyed it
We had many second tries 2 or 3 stucks and 1 pop out
Over all it was a nice drive and I am sure Giorgio keep a lot in his pocket for us in the upcoming drives
Finally I would like to thank Barish for his amazing efforts ( man he was everywhere like a guardian angel )
Big thank also to the support team ( intermediate and advance drivers)
And to all my fellows in this drive good job guys
Till next time stay safe and see you all on sand soon
jcarlosgarme

Hello Almost Family,

Agree with @nidal78 on the late report thumbsup ... better than nothing.

Just another drive?
Not for me, this one put all the learning to the next level. Thank you @giorgio , setting challenges and pacing a fantastic drive... I only disagree on the name grin grin

Big dunes!!
By all means this was THE training of this drive. Every high rise meant a lot. I had practiced as much as possible the lesson I got from @Rooies a while ago... go back to get momentum and floor it like you stole it, yo ! ... But it was not enough... always needing a final push to reach the end. Dont get me wrong, Kudos to my Pajero!!! she behaved like a marathon runner, brave horse, never complained going to the border line in RPM. I pushed her hard every time and she came back home in one single piece only asking for petrol. For all newbie Pajero owners: this is indeed a great car to get started in the desert! No regrets but 10+ drives set some physics limits that can hurt my little girl. It even trained me in some mechanical engineering skills as well... now I understand the beauty of wishbone suspension configuration and how it helps you to stay in-land.

Marshal support.
Thank you @baris , always keeping an eye in the whole convoy but at the same time I felt you were a personal guard for me. Even pushing me of I wanted to try again the arch to reach higher... not this time but I could take your word shortly redbullsmiley. Big shout out to the support team as well @haider alnuaimi @Jasper @Mohanad always there for the convoy (Marshaling 100% of the time 360° )

4th low!
During the break, @Mohanad shared another great advice: 4 Low. Well I tried in the Big Red area when @Barish came to assist me found my way uphill! I had only used it before to get out of stuck situations or get momentum in an Almost veryical takeoff area... but it also did great to reach the high spot at the dune... may need that in the future.

Don't fight gravity!
This is probably the most important of all trainings since day one (and the safest of all). Do whatever you want but DONT FIGHT GRAVITY! Physics are unforgivenful. I had to shortcut a significant amount of high rises. I just felt bad for many members behind me that probably followed an easier track (the safe one for me) when my brave #Pajero was in the limit. @brett @Giovanni @nidal78 to name a few... thanks for the patience!!!

Almost4x4 is a Family
My passenger, please meet Charly in the photo, an Almost4×4 honorary member (i hope Im allowed to use the title :have_a_nice_day: ) now that born in 1942 survived Cancer at 78, lost his wife at 79, and is now taking on new challenges walking 1.5 hours a day... im proud of this energetic young
IMG-20220319-WA0002.jpg
man. He said that is impressed with the safety, friendly, engaging, sharing and helpfulness of everyone in the club. He also comment that offroading in this club is a one of a kind experience in his life... "I would never expect to see this charm from the places I have lived in, not even people in my neighborhood, what a round trip it has been".
@alshamsi_m , for the record... what is the age limit in the club for passengers??? My friend said that he will be very happy to set the a record for the oldest passenger.

Hope you agree now that this was NOT just another drive.... thumbsup

All the best

Carlos (B)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jcarlosgarme

brett wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:21 pm @giorgio
Seems maybe it was only you and I were the only ones on the drive !
Or the others are still out there driving as there are no Other drive reports
I was day dreaming on the drive for a week yaeh am not durnk
Mohanad
Crew
Crew

Well, i posted a report earlier but it seems it didnt go through.

It was a very nice learning drive for our 10+ members. @giorgio made sure to give them the taste of small and high dunes.

@jcarlosgarme WE ARE HONORED TO HAVE YOUR PASSENGER WITH US... age is just a number and your friend is a true proof for that.
If you Hesitate, Accelerate !