Heads will roll

Tomvanhouten
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello everyone,

"Heads will roll" drive started for me on Friday afternoon, packing up and moving towards the drive area.
Deliberately chose to go early to relax, to drive by daylight and anyhow; the earlier in the sand the better!!

After 3.5hrs of road driving, we finally reached the Sabkha to enter the desert, did the first bit with full tires and when hitting the dune chain in the middle, decided to take no chances and deflate. When we arrived at the camp site, we discovered we were the first and played around a bit around the site. Fantastic area, found a good camping spot (sorry, @David ) and ate a bit while waiting for the others to arrive.

When we woke up in the morning, a cold fresh shower and off to camp site again, some much needed coffee and a very nice briefing of @SINGH .
There we go!

Driving behind @optimus gave me some new insights again as never drove directly behind him. @SINGH did a great job completely in front, navigating thru the unknown.
This area is absolutely spectacular and we enjoyed it to the max!
Around lunch, three cars decided to choose the sabkha out, we continued to the lunch spot and one last crest....CLUNK!
Upper arm loose from the spindle meant the end for me as well. Luckily, we managed to fix, so I could drive all the way back home very carefully. Thank you @rapailo for your help, think we should start a garage together have a nice day

Thank you all for the great time in this beautiful area and hopefully see you soon again!

Tom
David
Intermediate
Intermediate

One drive I had asked for and so grateful the Marshalls and Founder organized.

In all my previous drives in the big dunes I had always left Dubai after dark, for once I wanted to drive with daylight and reach the camping spot with time to relax and go to sleep plenty of time. Lara and Tom were there by the time I reached, windy and cold, good fire and great company compensated for that.

2 convoys in the morning, Rashid, Scorpio and Shamsi took the "fresher" intermediates with Singh leading the "older" intermediates plus advanced, explorers and Danillo for support.

Sand very soft, it was difficult to get the convoy moving, I personally get the feeling we did not allow the leading Marshall to exploit the dunes to the level he wanted to, too many interruptions in an area that is all about momentum.

Personally I was not happy with the start, silly mistake on a jump while climbing that ended up in a pop out and struggling for power in a very particular scenario, when those FJs start from still to climb those big walls and move sideways towards the ridge of the start fish to ride it down my car runs out of power on the sideways movement, not new, I had noticed it before as probably the time when you feel the difference between cars the most but I think yesterday it was even more evident due to a car issue that I am hoping it will be resolved shortly and hitting the dune towards the middle of the convoy when the hard layer of sand has already collapsed with the passing of the leading cars. Luckily not resulting in 2nd tries that would slow things down, just get a different line that the car can manage and crest at a lower level.

As said when hitting the walls from the Shabkah the difficult part whereas once inside the chains much easier to move for the jeep, some very nice sequences that are always my favorite part of these drives. 3 cars left the convoy when we were about to move towards the lunch location, also just before reaching Tom had some mechanical problem as described in his report, great drivers in the Almost family but even better mechanics, Rade & Tom did an amazing job in getting the car back to a condition that allowed for it to be driven out to tarmac, careful Rashid, if they opened a garage you would have serious competition!!!

After lunch the remaining cars joined in one convoy lead by Singh, he was determined to make the most of the remaining time and he did, a few complex dunes that the convoy struggled a bit to cross but he managed to get into that zone when the Marshall is at his best, there were 2nd tries being called on the radio but the Marshalls towards the back were taking care of that while the leading Marshall could concentrate only in what is ahead and flooring it ... that gave me the best driving of the day, Singh with Ovais on his tail, love following those 2, great position to drive behind them, fast and furious, inside the chain with momentum, the way the jeep likes it, looking in the rear mirror only the white FJ of Yasin and his voice on the radio saying please do NOT stop, that was a lot of fun!!!

Sadly drive came to its end, the time I was enjoying it the most, left me craving already for the next one, I know, next season ... now time to dream of those amazing dunes for some time.

Finally time to say thank you. A lot of time and effort (as well as cost) go into preparation for drives like this, there is also no doubt that the Marshalls & Explorers would have more fun in those dunes without having to "carry us" so big big thank you to all of them for giving us the chance to enjoy such an experience!!!

See you on the sand soon!!!
orlantsev
Advance
Advance

Hello all, 
I was not supposed to join the drive in the first place as my travel was initially on March 18th, but plans changed and due to flight postponement it became possible.

I could not do the camp on Friday night, so the drive turned out to be almost a 24 hours Le Man race. I left Abu Dhabi at 4.30 am and came back at 9.30 pm, so it was quite a marathon of driving in one day.

I hate to rush, so I set the alarm for 3.50 am. Idea was to have a coffee on the way. Day before I spoke twice to a hotel that they would keep the car in front, so I would not have to wait for the valet to bring it. When I was at the lobby at 4.10 am the car was where I left it, but the concierge could not find the key. We spent 20 minutes searching for it, but nothing. Luckily the bag which holds the spare key was with me in the room. Today the hotel said they spent 6 hours checking CCTV and eventually found out the key accidentally fell on the floor, they recovered it. At least I was promised free hotel parking next week, but that hardly compensates for missing a coffee on a lone 2.5 hours drive through the dark. 

I checked the route to the camp the night before. When at the gate it was already light, so crossing the first chain of the dunes on full tires was easy. I deflated just before going into bigger dunes and reached the camp just in time at 7.30. It was a pleasure to see @fida and @mazaaj after a long time.

My convoy consisted of 4 'old' intermediates, 3 advance drivers, and 4 marshals - so you guess the level which was to be expected. And it did not disappoint. From the start there were big dunes, bowls out of which @singh made a few very nice sequences. The car behaved great. Maybe it was the result of service I did at Jass garage a few days before. Even on big climbs I felt the car still had more power and it was not at its max. 

During the drive there was a fair share of second tries. Unfortunately for me I accumulated THREE pop-outs during the day. I have not had a pop-out since 2016. Indeed when it rains it pours. I would only call the second one a 'forced', while the other two were just stupidity.

I have been thinking of the reasons while driving home especially that I do not have pop outs a lot. Normally I drive at 10 psi. Due to sand conditions I reduced to 9 psi at the beginning of the drive. This could still by ok, but when I went to the tire shop today to fix the vibration from the sand inside I calibrated my gauge against their instrument and my gauge showed slightly higher reading. This means that my actual pressure during the drive was 8 psi or even less.

Unfortunately, 2 cars  experienced some damage. It is a blessing to have many mechanically gifted people in the club, that almost anything can be fixed. Also the area has many sabkhas which allow for many different easier exit routes. 

It was a great ending to the cooler months. Hope to see everyone very soon.
CARLOSS
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi everyone!

“Heads will roll” drive honored its name as our heads were rolling all the time trying to “digest” all the emotions and adrenaline pumped into our veins. thumbsup

I was not expecting that and even though Al Qua’a was present in some conversation I thought that it could be similar to Nahil, Sweihan etc. And I was completely mistaken. Oh man! They were not dunes, there were like huge untouched mountains of sand with sharp edges making beautiful shapes changing the colors as the time was passing by. I have no words to describe the beauty of this area with massive chains of never-ending dunes interconnected by some flat areas.

I was assigned to Rashid’s convoy fully supported by @Scorpio and @alshamsi_m . @Laarni , @Ehab , @NahorJP and @Lenny completed the convoy. I felt a bit rusty at the beginning due to the new territory never explored but after a while, I started to feel quite comfortable enjoying the drive a lot. A bit difficult at the back of the convoy because the sand was extremely soft but still I manage to control the mighty FJ delivering the right amount of power, most of the time. brigade.baka-wolf.com

There were plenty of second tries, a few stucks and remarkable pop-outs which made the pace a bit difficult during the morning time. Rashid did a great job balancing the drive’s level for us, baby inter, to be able to follow him and having fun on a safety manner. I will never forget one of the dunes’ sequences Rashid did in which we were like floating over the dunes in a short of a magic dance…after that, I could feel my heart pumping like never before. No radio, no second tries, no nothing, only driving like bullets having the time of our life…what a feeling! Those 5 min or so were pure magic. ORLY

After the lunch break, it was a different story as Marshals decided to combine both convoys being Sign the one taking the lead. A different style, faster I would add, and more challenging maybe because a combination of a higher level and more tiredness. These dunes looked to me even bigger and both the car and driver delivered everything left we had. These 2-3 hours of after-lunch drive left me speechless, and both mentally and physically exhausted…but with a massive smile in my face. thumbsup

The 3 hours drive coming back home were like nothing because I was still revisiting all the unforgettable moments in my mind...again and again. Like watching a movie.

Before I finish this trip report, I would like to thank a lot to both @SINGH and @Rashidjass for organizing and planning this drive, I cannot imagine how many hours did you spent on doing that. And congrats!, because the outcome was outstanding! Overfulfilling everybody’s expectations! blank

I cannot wait for the next one!
Carlos
Last edited by CARLOSS on Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
presa
Marshal
Marshal

Firstly thank you for @SINGH and @Rashidjass for organizing this trip.

I went for camping, where I reach just before sunset. Conversation was great, but I decided to go to bed early, since i had a long week behind me...

Being with Singh was great fun, since he was taking a nice track on the large bowls and climbing many of the big dunes. On some senses it was more like Liwa than Sweihan.

As said convoy was struggling to keep the pace with a large bowls and sharp crest, so many 2nd tries were happening, what didnt allowed to leading car to keep the expected pace for the area.
That did not interrupted the fun from the drive, since we cover around >100km in the day, not considering entering and exiting the area.

There were, at our convoy, some popouts, including one myself, but no major damage the whole day, what is a good thing considering the area.

Hope to see you all next weekend!
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello everyone

I was looking forward for this drive as it is going to be the last of higher dunes for 2021 - 2022 season. Arrived at the camp site to find almost everyone went for sleep to prepare for the long day brigade.baka-wolf.com

I was in @Rashidjass convoy to keep an eye on the young ones and make sure they go home safe and sound grin .

The area is from the same category of " I don't wanna go back home " 😫

Our leading marshal made amazing balanced lines for our intermediates to have FUN and keep them SAFE.

During the drive we were able to see the other convoy having a blast with @SINGH but I have to behave and stay with Rashid :TT_TT:

Well BTW I was a bit naughty 😜 on my own way to have fun but never miss the convoy's safety . Unfortunately all beautiful times come to end and that was the case with this beautiful drive.

High appreciation for our organiser and all the supporting marshals and looking forward for more drives in this area in 2022 - 2023 season.

Till next time stay safe

Cheers
Shamsi
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Mahmoodyasin
Advance
Advance

Hi All
Always exiting to be back in this region, where dunes are like mountains and one can spend whole day with still plenty of dunes left untouched.
Thanks to @alshamsi_m to discover this beauty.
@SINGH and myself tagged along in the morning to reach the camp site where the gang had huddled up while enjoying the breakfast.
The leader has split the convoy into 2, senior inter and new inter. I was tagged with the seniors, i was sure of being the 2nd lead but found @optimus to be trusted with the role and i was given the task to sweep. Considering the terrain, it was a good decision indeed!!!
@SINGH took some wonderful lines with a mix of everything, it was expected to have numerous 2nd tries, and plenty of pop outs…… which we had 😅 And that was the evidence that the gang played safe.
Only thing to be highlighted is that “a good radio communication would avoid any unsafe condition” specially in the area where one gets blinded in a chain of number of bowls. It was a delight to watch the snake of the convoy make its way among the tall dunes with high pace.
After the first half of the drive, some of the drivers had to leave which made both the convoys club together.
@SINGH moved to a much cleaner “less plantation “ area to treat us with some wonderful sidecresting and long climbs. Couple of hours of adrenaline rush and we headed towards the exit.
The new and the senior inter did very well to survive “heads will roll” and im sure they will be feeling very lucky to have the experience of this beautiful area.

Thanks @SINGH , @Rashidjass , @alshamsi_m , @Scorpio @presa @Mabubaker @rapailo @optimus for a superb drive.

Till next time
Mahmoodyasin
White Fj cruiser
“Blizzard”
NahorJP
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello Everyone
Trip details : Head will Roll
Organizer : Marshal @SINGH

Thanks for this wonderful and thrilling drive in AL QUAA, always wanted to visit this area and finally the wish was fulfilled by @SINGH and our guardian angel @Rashidjass who was leading fresh Inters convoy with @alshamsi_m & @Scorpio as a support.

Arrived early morning at the meeting point (looks like everyone else opted to camp before night), it was nice to see everyone enjoying coffee/ breakfast and the camp fire.

Convoys split in two (experience Inters Lead by @SINGH & fresh INters lead by @Rashidjass ), i was part of @Rashidjass's convoy and it was half of the size of other convoy but we had fun and covered most of the untouched massive dunes. I was put on the 2nd lead and following @Rashidjass line is the best learning experience to overcome your fear at fast pace and in the safe & smooth manner. thanks @Rashidjass for your trust and taking us all safely enjoying this trip.

i got myself into one self recovery (and self shower of sand too) & popout in a V-ditch which was supported by @Scorpio , @Ehab , @alshamsi_m did i forget anyone ?? sorry for that as i am still in that adrenaline.

My experience from this drive - momentum is important to reach to the highest point of the dune, but the right control on momentum comes from your driving experience and egoless driving.

@alshamsi_m & @Laarni had to leave the drive in between due to some technical issue with @Tomvanhouten's car. hope you guys entered home on time and without any hurdles on the way.

after lunch break we were clubbed with other convoy to have some glimpse of fun they had in morning hours. And it was total fun to see and learn the line of our experienced Interns. well done guys for all the fun we had on this weekend.

The drive title was well named and you actually need the wide windshield with no roof to see the dunes while driving in such areas. New experience for most of us but it was worth driving 3hrs to the meeting point and return back with 3 more hours of driving. Sorry for those who couldn't make it, the fun you guys missed ..... (no comments)!!

Summer is still not come, we can have another drive in this area before the actual summer. Lets the Saga began!

@Lenny @Ehab @CARLOSS @Laarni - Thanks for playing safe!!
Thanks
Roan (Night Fury)

See you on Sands!! Sooner the Better!!
Ehab
media
media

Heads will roll, gravity will be defeated and we will drive on walls.
The adventure started with the trip being posted and registration time being different than the usual time. Camping was planned and we were notified that we will practice everything we learned to reach the camp. A track was shared and we were told if we deviate, we will be by our own😲😲😲 what a heads-up.
We were told that the area is next to an army camp, it’s the darkest area in UAE and has the largest dunes. I left dubai at around 6 pm, more than 3 hours drive to reach the entrance and then to a long sabkha, first series of dunes, oh my god, this is huge, a nasty huge dune with almost 80 degree vertical side wall, i cannot wait to reach to the camp point to sleep and wake up early to get ready for this adventure but marshals always has some surprises. Guess what, you have to side crest and go through a bowl to reach the camp point all AT NIGHT.
Reached with my eyes and mouth wide open on what has just happened, nice chat with the guys and then off to find a good spot to put my tent on.
Woke up early, quick breakfast and quick briefing, Heart dune here we come, what an area and what a drive. First time for me to witness such large dunes, name it, star, crescentic, linear, parabolic, all are there, pick and choose and are more than 30 meter high.
I have seen our marshals and explorers happy but never seen them so joyous. We were enjoying but they were thrilled. Usually we approach a dune from an angle and move to next one, marshals were approaching each dune from almost every angle possible. This was beyond belief. The other interesting part was how small our cars looks in the side walls, Shamsi says they look like ants, i think ants are bigger but anyway in this place, earth measures does not apply.
We had 2 nasty popouts, they were not that difficult to fix but to reach. One of them was in a very small v shape bowl, almost just for the car to fit and the sand was very soft, we could not even keep our cars nearby for the tools to be picked. The other one was also in a very soft crest and it was too risky to move the car as we could end with a tire cut so had to dig for more than half an hour to be able to fix the popout.
27 hours outside home, reached and direct to bed for more than 11 hours of deep sleep after a hot shower. Its been a while since my last deep sleep.
First tome where my go pro 132 Gb memory gets full, after few hours of editing, i think i watched the end video 20 times not to verify as usual but to reimagine what we have done and recall those priceless moments.
I do not know how i will be able to digest driving in other areas from now on, most probably will drive without deflation nor engaging 4x4 gear.
Huge thanks to all founders, marshals and explorers who spent lot of time preparing for this trip and taking care of all of us during the trip. I do not think we will ever be able to pay you back, thank you very much everyone.

Enjoy watching

Bonus video

mpodroid
media
media

We had an incredible drive.

Reached the camp at 8pm: it was dark, I did not set the exact location, just followed the track on the GPS. I was expecting to see the other cars, the fire, some lights, but nothing. Peach black.

I wandered around a little bit then I decided to point to exact GPS coordinates: I was 100m far from the just, which was in a bowl and I could not see it.

Amazing chit chat with friends in front of the fire. We had a quick briefing in the morning and the drive started. We had some popouts, many second tries but overall it was a great drive on the high dunes.

In the early afternoon I started to feel tired: the level of the drive was high and I had also 3 more hours drive to come back to Dubai.

I preferred to not push too much and decided to leave the area. Better to listen your body if start complaining and not taking any stupid risk.

A great thanks to the marshals

If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.
Rune's Rule
Murphy's Law