All Stars - Limited Edition V - 22/01/22

David
Intermediate
Intermediate

I have always liked "All Stars" drives, good time to catch up with people you might not have seen for along time and get familiar with the new faces.

3 convoys, Scorpio with the 10+, Rashid 5+ and Giorgio the 5-. I was allocated to Rashid's convoy alongside Haider for support.

Things started well, convoy moving nicely but unfortunately Rashid's car suffered a mechanical issue and he had to abandon the drive which resulted in the 5- and 5+ joining as a very long convoy lead by Giorgio and supported by Barish as floating Marshall.

20+ cars in small technical dunes and with drivers at very different levels is always a difficult job for Marshalls and everyone driving behind, getting into a nice flow is extremely difficult but the convoy managed to reach the end point safely at the expected time.

Probably the only thing I would say for those who might read this and were involved in the drive is always make sure the distance with the car in front of you is the right one, this must be adapted depending on the type of dunes, speed of the convoy, ... it is the key factor in order to get the convoy to flow nicely, pay always attention to this important detail.

Finally to thank the organizing Marshall, Barish, the other 3 Marshalls, Scorpio, Rashid and Giorgio, as well as the intermediate/advance and all the members that turned up and made the drive possible.

See you on the sand soon!!!
Tomvanhouten
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello everyone,

Looking at the amount of people registering for these drives, it is a very high demand, which must mean they are good! ORLY

Showing up a bit early, gave me a chance to collect my vest, chit chat with the group and catching up with the ones, which were missed for a long time.
I was designated in the convoy 5-, led by @giorgio and supported by @Barish . As I was in sweeper duty, it was a fairly relaxed drive for me, especially with @CARLOSS in the middle of the convoy doing the requested rescues.

The drive became interesting when the 5+ convoy joined!
Massive train of drivers, in a technical area, means a lot of start/stops and a lot marshal coaching. Deep respect for @Barish , racing all around, just recovering and still with the energy of an 18 year old thumbsup

Later on in the drive, it got really cold, so the newly received vest came in very handy, heater on in the car!!

Thanks everyone for the lovely drive and see you soon again!

Tom
CARLOSS
Intermediate
Intermediate

Dear Everyone!

I arrived on time to the meeting point and saw already several drivers deflating & eager to some sand. Plenty of new faces and a few old friends and by the time we did the briefing there were not less than 30 cars between challenges, support and marshals. Excellent attendance! thumbsup

I was located in the -5 convoy lead by @giorgio , overseen by @Barish and supported by @Tomvanhouten in the sweeper's position and myself in the middle.

The pace and convoy’s performance at the beginning was OK but the situation was even more interesting when the +5 convoy came and joined us…at the end, we ended up with around 20 cars convoy (or more) with different levels meaning good fun for the rescue team! blank

I did a couple of crested cars’ recoveries and reminded me when I was in that situation one year ago…I am very glad to pay back now the efforts of other colleagues at that time. have a nice day

I am looking forward to Liwa next drive plenty of more recoveries!!! brigade.baka-wolf.com

See you soon
Carlos

P.S. My recommendations for the new drivers: i) keep correct distance (4 or 5 cars), ii) pay attention to the radio comm and report any situation, iii) keep your tools accessible and not behind a tent, camping chairs, sleeping bags and many other things, iv) don’t drive in 4L OSMILEY unless you are rich…we normally drive in 4H and only use 4L from time to time when stuck.
brett
Crew
Crew

Dear Almosters

I arrived early to get organized. Next to arrive was @Tomvanhouten being the first to collect the new Bomber jacket.

Before long many others had arrived. I then discovered i had failed to refit the valve properly resulting in completely flat tyre. I quickly fixed the valve and inflated.

I was positioned in the 10+ convoy in second lead behind @Scorpio a total off 12 cars with @osman sweeping. Intermediate support from @mpodroid and @Ehab there should be so great video to be posted as we had almost all the media team. On hand @nidal.a-l-salti

The convoy flowed really nicely at a decent pace. Some nice arches and plenty of technical areas. Other that a couple of struggles at the back for the F150 beasts

I managed to have 2 attempts at a small crest. Having watched @Scorpio gain a little air as he crossed i slowed down not wanting to fly so after self recovery and the 3rd attempt witj just the right amount of speed we were on our way again

Following @Scorpio and trying to maintain the same lines and speed i became aware that my suspension is not yet set up correctly- bouncing like a kangaroo! So back to the worshop this week to make the adjustments.

The highlight for many of our convoy happened when @Scorpio did a straight cross over a medium dune. I held back to ensure he was clear. He actually stopped dead in his tracks. Radioed that i should hold the convoy and walk up the dune to him. Everyone walked up to see. At the bottom of the dune huge rock formation. Media crew got cameras ready as we watch in awe as he dropped down the dune and manouvered out without touching the rocks. Impressive skills.

Before long the drive was over and we watched as the large combined -5 +5 convoy arrived.

Thanks to @Barish for arranging the drive. Thanks also to @giorgio & @rashid

Until nextime
Until the next Adventure

Brett
Red Baron
Daiyaan

Being part of the 5+ convoy, @Rashidjass kindly asked me to be the 2nd lead, for which I was very excited as I had never been 2nd lead before. However that was short-lived until @Rashidjass car unfortunately had an issue (hope everything is okay now!).

We then had to join the 5- convoy under @giorgio which was a slow paced technical dune drive, however with 20+ cars in a convoy there are the usual hiccups.

Looking forward to next drives and perhaps the chance of being 2nd lead in the future.
giorgio
Marshal
Marshal

All Stars - Limited Edition V -

With the weather the last few weeks being on the cold side afternoon drives are a blast. Especially at the end while socializing a jacket is a must.

This afternoon drive was not different, a vast amount of cars at the inflating point  got together ready for the afternoon adventure.

The plan was to have 3 levels driving in the same area . For the 5 - level it is an introduction to technical driving terrain on a slow pace with a touch of arches and plenty straight crests while for the 5+ will be the same arrangement on a moderate  speed and finally high speed for the 10+

I was to lead the 5- group. The drive started smooth with minor problems but it was not to long into the drive that the 5+ convoy had to join us. Unfortunately @Rashidjass  had a technical issue with his car and he had to aboard the drive.

Now the long (20+cars) were roaming the desert. In such cases managing this long stretch of cars it is very challenging of the supporting team as well as the lead car.

Hats off to the @Barish and the supporting team that had to work hard to ensure that the convoy will stay connected while all drivers will have a safe experience.

The drive had many climbs and drops on small and mid size dunes. The hard sand was making the drive easier but still we had several instances that the rescue team was called to duty.

Proper distance, radio communication and the correct momentum was the recipe  for  success.

Over all most of the members did a great job while others have to focus and practice to further develop these fundamentals.

Closing my report I would like to thank the organizer and support teams from both convoys that work so hard to successfully complete this drive. Special thanks to @David how on more than a few occasions had to connect the long convoy and kept pushing it to move forward, while @Barish was roaming around keeping everybody in line and checked.

Last but not least. A shout to @alshamsi_m who chose to leave us at the worst possible time, but still although his presence was missed we all used our years of training to have a safe and enjoyable drive
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of the sheep
theDanutz

Dear Almosters,

Very nice to be back on the tracks and see so many new people joined, it’s amazing the efforts the club is doing to have us organized trips like this. thumbsup

The tracks were around Al Faqa area, which provides plenty of opportunities to sharpen our skills. Vast landscape, very nice terrain.
I was the 3rd person to arrive after the usual suspects, @brett and @Tomvanhouten being already there and well into the preparations.

I was in @Rashidjass convoy, and after a promising start, mechanical problems on the leading car lead to join @giorgio convoy.. more than 20 cars in total. Because of the different levels, it was difficult to get a flow and had many stops, assistance required.. usual stuff needed to learn and progress. have a nice day

Hats off for @Barish, present everywhere and beautifully coordinating the assistance team efforts. Good to see you back! Great work done by @David , @Tomvanhouten and @Carlos for being always available to help.

For me personally was a very very nice day, relaxing drive.. exactly what I needed after a long week of work! I enjoy my new Jeep more and more with every trip.. by the way so many Jeeps present for this drive.. grin

Thank you to everyone for this day out and the experience!
Looking forward to next one!

Best regards,
Danutz
Scorpio
Marshal
Marshal

We had a very good show up of newbies and as per the convoys’ design the 10+ newbies were with me. The plan was to drive from Murquab to Qudra and enjoy a little bit of Lisaili chain of dunes as well.

Thank you @brett for being an attentive 2nd lead, @osman for sweeping the convoy responsibly and @Ehab and @mpodroid for the support and reinforcement. We practiced to do arches, straight climbs with and without balconies, technical areas, riding on walls, nice and fast runs on top of flat crests. The convoy performed very well and the flow remained smooth for most of the time.

We had one tricky recovery done perfectly by @osman under Marshall guidance. At one point, I found a nasty ditch you're kidding, right after the crest and told Brett to take 3m to the right to which he reacted immediately thumbsup. Towards the end of the drive, I came head to head with some rocks after a straight crest and it gave an opportunity for the convoy to learn the importance of lead & 2nd lead cars and the benefit of driving in a convoy form; apart from some nice filming shots by the Media team grin. We completed the drive at the pre-decided point where we could sit all. Shortly, we were joined by the other convoy at the sitting area.

It was an enjoyable afternoon with beautiful weather and great company :have_a_nice_day: .

Hope to see you soon on the sand..

Cheers
Scorpio
+971 55 5804488
Drives a grey FJ 'Everest'
The race for excellence has no finish line!
Ehab
media
media

Hi Almosters

Arrived just on time to join 10+ convoy led by @Scorpio who selected an amazing track with mix of medium size dunes arches and technical terrain.

The 10+ convoy did very well with single recovery and single second try. @brett was second lead who did an amazing job rerouting when needed, @mpodroid was handling support for the first part of the convoy and @osman was sweeping, both took care of the convoy without any noticeable issues. @nidal.a-l-salti also joined as media, cannot wait for his edits.

At the end of the trip we encountered an amazing scenery where a formation of rocks in the bottom of a dune was a magnificent view but what was more interesting is the maneuverer Scorpio did to avoid it.

Enjoy watching and looking forward seeing you soon:

AntonT

Good evening Almosters,

A business week looks different when you know there is the club drive on Saturday!

This time our standard crew set was enforced by my wife. I'm persistently trying to persuade her to participate in Liwa expedition next month, and All Stars drive was the best chance to introduce to her the beauty of group drive and warm atmosphere in the club.

Afternoon drives let you chat with friends for longer before the briefing. That is why we came much more earlier, so I met new people that I only read about in the trip reports.

@Barish split all drivers into three convoys base on our experience. Thanks to him for given credit of trust to be at the second lead position behind our group leader - @giorgio . @Tomvanhouten and @CARLOSS were assigned to support our 5- convoy.

Drive was smooth and normal for our level - second tries and other minor issues. Soon marshals put on hold our move for some time.. @Barish disappeared from the air and back shortly with elder 5+ drivers to merge both convoys. Quick reshuffle and our almost-caravan went further towards sunset. I was admired of the actions of marshalls and support team who took enormous load by managing double convoy. @giorgio increased the speed and added straight cresting especially for 5+ drivers. Almost at the end of our trip, we quickly fixed pop out and safely reached the meeting point before sunset.

One more happy day was over!

Mistakes: distance, distance, distance... @giorgio was not the first who reminded me about the same.

Next newbie's drive is not soon, so we have time to prepare our cars for jump "in to the deep"!

Anton