Liwa Marathon - Sand Wasps

David
Intermediate
Intermediate

I had been looking forward to this drive for a long time, wife has been away from some time helping with some family issue hence kids requiring more time from me on the weekends which has resulted in much less driving than usual and than what I would like to have done ... Liwa with Almost, big dunes with no trenches is just what I needed!!!

Camped the night before and I slept like a baby, I don't know why but I always seem to sleep really well in that spot, 9 cars ready to go in the morning, Shamsi leading and the rest of us following, I did have to ask Tom to allow me to sweep, we were both waiting patiently for that position, I think somehow he knew I needed it more, drive started beautifully, fast, clean lines, magnificent walls, that was pure joy, to top it up from the sweeping position I could play (safely) the usual games, the "elastic band" (fall behind a bit to be able to go faster afterwards to catch up), stretch the line (great fun on the walls), couple of meters to the left/right, ... the convoy was moving so well, just one rescue and a couple of 2nd tries, mainly 2nd gear full throttle, windows down, great temperature, ... you could not have asked for more.

In Spain we have a saying "there is not a 2 without a 3", since friends on the previous Liwa drives had been updating me on the occurrences the 2 days before I was really fearful of what was ahead of us, we knew at some point we would pay a visit to the abandoned Patrol but anything else???, yep, over an hour from the start Marco's car decided to get sentimental and be the center of attention, we thought battery that turned out to be alternator mixed with some stupid electronics, I had seen something similar in a private drive in Liwa and I was really really scared of the outcome, the thought of having to pull a 2ton brick 12Km out of the dunes in Liwa ... luckily somehow the car regained enough sense to drive back to the starting point, what a relief reaching the tarmac ... one done and one to go!!!

At that point Shamsi asked what next, some recovery back up had been arranged for the Patrol (Tom, you are an absolute star), nobody in the convoy hesitated, we all love to drive but the priority is ALWAYS to get everyone home safely, inflate, drive 90min to Madinat Zayed to pick up the recovery party (that included, a welding machine, a diesel generator and a 2men welding team) and time to rush back into the sand, 40Km, not against the clock but against the sun that was already low and we wanted to reach with some day light, Shamsi applied perfectly one of the most universal principles in life, shorter distance between 2 points is the straight line ... hell of a lead, a few take offs (and as many safe landings) and loads of fun.

Everybody in the convoy joined for this "2nd part of the adventure", it would have been easy (and understandable) to head home from the petrol station in Madinat Zayed, all members of the convoy there to help in anything that could be needed, the "a Family and not a Club" sentence came to mind several times, so true.

Reached as scheduled with a bit of time for the welding Team to check what was required, what a job those guys did, I have seen a few recoveries but this one was something on a very different level, the "no one is left behind" on a different superior level. Car fit and ready to go, pitch black so now time for the night drive, back to the tracks and quietly and silently across the area that is better not to pass by, another 40Km plus before getting our wheels back on tarmac, it felt so so good to have reached there without anyone having been left behind, Rooies smile priceless.

This trip reminded me of 3 very important things:

- you might have a plan but Liwa always rules, she decides what happens next, never you, just adapt and take it with a smile, there is not other way, it is the price to pay to be allowed to enjoy all that beauty.

- Almost is by a long distance the best Offroad Club in the UAE, to be fair and honest I have not driven with any other but some things you just know.

- I would go with you guys to end of the Earth, and yes, one day we might have to go to check if the thing is flat or not ...

Out of action now for a couple of weeks with the kids/family but really really looking forward to see you all on the sand soon!!!
Last edited by David on Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CARLOSS
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello everyone,

After reading @David report (he is a sort of a narrative journalist) I don’t think I am able to add anything else on that so I will share instead with you something beyond the drive itself…but let’s start from the beginning.

After taking care of my kids for 2 days in a row I was looking forward to take a break & get into the car to start heading Liwa…by the time I started my journey I was already exhausted oh noes , mentally speaking, so Liwa was supposed to be like a medicine for me and even though it didn't go as expected it fulfilled my expectations! thumbsup

I arrived late at the camping, around 9:30pm, and I thought I was running late when I saw in the meeting point only two guys (David a @dorudoru )…and I was briefed by David about the hell of a day that our friends have had rescuing cars…somehow I felt sorry about them while the rest of the gang started to show up sometime afterwards. Dinner, a bit of chit chat and before 11pm I decided to move and to find a camping spot. The night was dark and was difficult to find a nice place so after some "solo" night off-roading I found my spot. Nice sleep and when I woke up I noticed that after all my off-road thing I was only around 200m from the meeting point…and close to the main tracks. whut

Nevertheless, we met with Shamsi and the rest of the drivers at the breakfast time and after a briefing we started to drive.

Liwa is so beautiful that I have no words to describe it and the track’s selection done by Shamsi was superb. By the time the convoy was already warmed up we faced the incident with @mpodroid cars which it was a game changer for some part of the day.

After accompanying the blue Jeep to solid ground, we started the second challenged of the day: Rescuing @Rooies car…it was challenging (specially for the two welders discovering some light off-road have a nice day ) but very rewarded. I felt great seeing everybody working together and somehow trying to help Tom and his screw. As mentioned many times before, this is not a Club but a Family.

I believe that from now on, the following rescue equipment will be added to the minimum recovery tools set so let’s be prepared to that: Portable welding machine and diesel genset…the below picture shows that I am not joking in fact, I have already secured the genset in the trunk of my car thumbsup .

Finally, thanks a lot @alshamsi_m for scouting, planning, designing and executing this Liwa Marathon 2021…the outcome was fantastic and will keep very nice memories. And @Tomvanhouten , for leading and bringing the resources for that difficult rescue.

See you soon!

Carlos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tomvanhouten
Intermediate
Intermediate

And here we go for day three!

It was repair day, licking the wounds and getting back to the rest of the world for normal life to kick in , but not before we were treated with an adrenaline rush on the steep long walls of Liwa!!
Beautiful is the only word I can think off!! Good convoy performance and great flow with a terrific lead car!

Then the repairs started and what more to say: people pay money for this in my country and they call it teambuilding! We are doing it for free and naturally, with a team which needs no further explanations!

Thank you all guys for the great exhaustive but absolutely satisfying day we had.
Nothing mattered more then the feeling of all being there and all getting out!!

Tom
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello everyone

Day 3 started with a beautiful fresh air in the morning with chitchat around the fire and breakfast and coffee 😍. You can't go wrong in that!!!!

During the breakfast time I was explaining one of the the marshals driving style which is called " straight line " 🤔 well later of the day we had a glimpse of it and thanks God we were relatively easy area brigade.baka-wolf.com.

I had two challenges this day First, how to rescue a car with 11.8 voltage in soft sand and let it reach 10 for 12 kilometres The second was to drive 42 kilometres in straight line with 1.5 hours of day light to reach the destination !!!

All was accomplished by the strong well of men/women who were there this day and refused to leave a fellow member behind. Hat off for you all.

Another successful Liwa event we had in our club's book and I am sure it will be remembered for so many years.

The winter is coming and we have more drives to come for the beautiful Liwa.

Till then, Stay Safe and keep the sand flying.

Cheers
Shamsi
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
dorudoru
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello All,

I was a little hesitant to write this report since all above reports were explaining everything very well. But lets try to talk about my own experience about the day.

Long waited National Day, and Liwa drives. I wasn't able to join the first two drives thus I decided to go to the camping point early enough to catch the sunset and enjoy the wilderness of Liwa. So, I reached to the point around 5pm, set my chair and snacks and watched the beautiful sunset over the virgin dunes. Darkness started to fall over the area, I sat and watch the stars for a while. No one is showing up still. I put my fire on with my limited wood supply and started to portion my wood. One wood at a time grin But also there were some stupid questions in my mind "Am I in the correct point??, lets check once again" blank

Long story short, I spent 4 hours at the camp site until the first camper arrives. When @David reached I didn't even say hi to him, just asked "do you have wood" yaeh am not durnk

Then I heard, some things went wrong in the second day's drive and lovely patrol of @Rooies had to be abandoned in the middle of nowhere. Slowly, the other campers arrived we had a good chat around the fire and heard the stories of the day.

All was quite tired so everyone went to pitch their tent quite early. The ones dared to find a camp spot without deflating in soft Liwa sand couldn't go so far until they needed a little tug pacman

Morning was a great breakfast with fresh coffee in front of the fire. These are the times I start to appreciate the morning sun in UAE. It is not annoying anymore, in contrary it is more welcomed.

@alshamsi_m made the briefing after we all packed up. We were going to have big walls, entering is not allowed to the wall until the car in front clears it and he asked us to keep more space in between so that the convoy can flow instead of waiting at each wall. Drive started in a fast pace with great flow, few second tries and one stuck in soft sand. Then jeep thing happens ORLY

The positivity of the group in these times blows my mind. A broken down car is not a problem, it means more time for chitchat and bonding :in_love:

Everyone did their best to fix the car to a point that it can be towed or better if it can drive till the road and it is achieved after fixing a cooling pipe and some battery trade. (@presa , napkins can really help, you should try grin )

@alshamsi_m took us out from the easiest route possible and the second part of the day started! "Rescue the Patrol"

A quick check have been made and everyone decided to participate in the operation, we all quickly inflated and reach to Madinat Zayed to take the required equipment and expertise (supplied by the greates boss of all times @Tomvanhouten)

I had the chance to take the welder Mr. Kumar as my passenger, who had a blast in the fast paced straight line rally drive blank . Considering he is getting easily car sick even in tarmac drives he hold up really well with the help of his plastic bag thumbsup. We had a good chat on the way and I was even lucky to be invited to Kerala in love The smile on his face had to be seen when we arrived to the point! Felt like he had is life's time!

@alshamsi_m managed to make us reach to the abandoned car just before sunset! What an amazing drive was that. Then the generator has been started and welding process begins where our rescuer Mr. Kumar kicks in. They made a great job while we were having another round of chitchat in the back scene and after an hour or so, we had a patrol back to life again.

These kind of events shows how we hold up to each other in the club and everyone wants to participate and help in a way! I am proud to be a part of these amazing human beings! Well done to everyone and looking forward to head back to Liwa again!

See you in the sand!
presa
Marshal
Marshal

dorudoru wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:26 am Everyone did their best to fix the car to a point that it can be towed or better if it can drive till the road and it is achieved after fixing a cooling pipe and some battery trade. (@presa , napkins can really help, you should try grin )

Ok... explain better how to fix a cooling pipe, do a battery trade or towing a car with a Napkin!!!
brigade.baka-wolf.com brigade.baka-wolf.com brigade.baka-wolf.com
dorudoru
Intermediate
Intermediate

presa wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:02 am Ok... explain better how to fix a cooling pipe, do a battery trade or towing a car with a Napkin!!!
brigade.baka-wolf.com brigade.baka-wolf.com brigade.baka-wolf.com
Agreed! Will do in the upcoming drive blank
mpodroid
media
media

We are used to say that Almost4x4 is our second family.

Seems a compliment, but no, that's a real thing. One more time, this weekend in Liwa proved it.

The day started with breakfast: eggs offered by @Carloss
Then we started our drive, but after a while my car had a problem at the charging system: battery indicator on and voltage level dropping slowly, from 12V down to 7v

The car started to shutdown components to save energy, but that was not enough and, in the end, it stopped.
Everybody has been great and supportive.

After the convoy dropped me on the tarmac, I was feeling blue: the fault ruined the drive. We all know, it’s part of the game, but it’s better if it does not happen. @alshamsi_m reached me and hugged me. WOW

This is family.

I headed home, with my battery recharged, but 150km later, battery eventually depleted again and I had to call a recovery truck.

Car is at the dealer now, waiting ordered parts to be replaced, so no drive on this weekend: damn?

Not at all! a very kind member, who is out of country, offered me his own car for the drive.
I could not believe it!

If this is not family, what would be?

Thanks everybody, for the great time together

Marco
If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.
Rune's Rule
Murphy's Law
AndreAJ
Intermediate
Intermediate

Well WHAT A WEEKEND!!!!

Liwa marathon is one of the most anticipated 3 day camp and drive in one of the most beautiful part of the UAE Desert. Not only does it provide spectacular views it also provides some of the best dune driving, massive dunes big drops, high speed arches, cresting and so much more. So for those who have not yet done this drive please ensure you book your seat for the next one it is absolutely well worth it.

Firstly thank you to all the marshals who scouted and planed our routes, kept us safe and in some cases provided mechanical support. @Rashidjass @alshamsi_m @Scorpio @Mabubaker @SINGH.

The two day drive was truly amazing we had everything from 10+, intermediate, recovery and night drives. Was this planed you asking your self, well for most part yest about 70% was planed the rest just happened unplanned as we stood together as a family with our motto "No one and no car gets left behind" we had some casualties during the weekend but we managed to stand together and help them all. This meant we arrived at our next camp sites after 10PM at night, driving in areas where we were not supposed to drive (luckily no desert bees) carrying a welder, generator, and professional artisans to help recover a stranded and lonely car.

We fixed over heating and power drained 4x4, swapping out batteries fixing water pipes, friendly trucks jump starting a car.

This report is not to tell you about the bad, what this report tells is how we as a family stand together, we all enjoy driving together, we camp together we tell camp fire stories, this report also shows the helpful and friendliness of the local Liwa people.

Just to give you an idea of what family is, when we finished our Intermediate drive some of the drivers where told they can leave as we need to go back in to the desert for a recovery and that it would be a late one, guess what NO ONE LEFT!!! they all supported the recover. That was really amazing to experience...

we where many drivers over the weekend and not always possible to mention them all, but guys you all are amazing and a loved every minute spending it with you.

Our media team did a great job to capture some of the action @mpodroid @Ehab @nidal.a-l-salti and @Laarni for capturing our final recovery moments.

Special thanks to @David @Carlos @Rathica @Preggy @Rooies @dorudoru @Jasper @Tomvanhouten who went over an beyond to assist.

I cant wait for the next Liwa trip,

Andre
Rooies
Intermediate
Intermediate

Tomvanhouten wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:26 am And here we go for day three!

It was repair day, licking the wounds and getting back to the rest of the world for normal life to kick in , but not before we were treated with an adrenaline rush on the steep long walls of Liwa!!
Beautiful is the only word I can think off!! Good convoy performance and great flow with a terrific lead car!

Then the repairs started and what more to say: people pay money for this in my country and they call it teambuilding! We are doing it for free and naturally, with a team which needs no further explanations!

Thank you all guys for the great exhaustive but absolutely satisfying day we had.
Nothing mattered more then the feeling of all being there and all getting out!!

Tom
Thank you again buddy for organizing everything & getting my car back home thumbsup
Nobody Gets Left Behind