No way home

Tomvanhouten
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello everyone,

"No way home" implies a sort of fear and I bet in some cases this was correct..what a lovely drive we had.

Finally, we could put the latest member of the family to the test and she felt very fine. Welcome Gamora!

The drive was organised by @alshamsi_m , assisted by @Mabubaker and @optimus floating around. @Rathica as second lead with @mpodroid and myself inside the convoy.
As always, this area is chewed up and bumpy, but with the lines choosen by the lead car, it became a nice safari feast.
Smoothly, we went thru the dunes, without major stucks, pop outs, etc. Really nice!

At a certain moment, someone informed me that my flag was lost and when i checked it out, it was completely sheared off. Time for a new one, I guess it has been lying in the backyard for too long.

We ended the drive, sitting around at superbowl, looking at the spectacle ongoing in front of us.

Thank you everyone and see you soon

Tom
brett
Crew
Crew

Hi Dune Addicts,

I arrived at the meeting point early, next to arrive @Tomvanhouten in the new ride ! and @Laarni bearing coffee cake nom nom.

Once everyone was assembled the briefing was done by @alshamsi_m, thanks for arranging this drive for us old newbies. it was explained that the drive would be faster pace with some high dunes - but a word of caution there would be a lot of traffic so be careful !!
Drive order was set and off we went. @Rathica 2nd lead, @Mabubaker and @optimus floating. @Tomvanhouten and @mpodroid within the convoy as support.
I was positioned at the back as sweeper.

Once underway all things mentioned in the briefing materialized - big dunes, fast pace and lots of traffic - solo drivers, other convoys, quad bikes and dune buggies everywhere. the sand was very soft and being at the back of the convoy the track was completely cut up and rutted. It was like driving on judder bars - this really put my reconditioned suspension to the test. I had a couple of second try's mostly due to following a fraction to close and having to back off, then lacking the momentum to complete.

All in all it was a very trouble free drive with limited incidents. We arrived at Iftar bowl, it was only when we stopped for a break that I realized we had just climbed and descended the other side of Iftar. Even more of a surprise when @alshamsi_m said we were free to do it again on our own. I jumped at the opportunity - The Wasp V2 didn't let me down and I managed the climb and decent - with a loud YHAOO as I reached the top. it was certainly the highlight of the drive for me.

Once we fixed the hood of the large American beast that took one hard knock too many, we headed over to Superbowl - what an experience that was, literally hundreds of 4x4, quad bikes, dune buggies and super modified Patrols. it was complete mayhem. after sitting and watching we headed out to the road as darkness fell. The traffic on the way-out made it difficult, with other vehicles merging into our convoy and at one point I had to holdup and let a convoy of about 10 vehicles cut in front of us. Needless to say we then lost completely our convoy, at the T junction at the army camp I turned right still following the ones who pushed into our convoy. So the drive name "no way home" was almost true, but to cut a long story short we all managed to regroup safely at the petrol station - inflate and say our good byes

Thank you Almost4x4, the Marshals, Intermediates and Drivers who took part - it was a very fun and memorable drive.

While writing this I have learned of the promotion of the guys to intermediate level, so congratulations to @CARLOSS @Stephan and @NahorJP well deserved and much respect to you guys.
Until the next Adventure

Brett
Red Baron
nidal78
media
media

Hi Almosters
No way home is another awesome drive with the ALMOST4X4 family 🤩
The drive was in al badayer area which is a very nice area to drive but it’s always very busy specially in the weekend and that’s what @alshamsi_m mentioned in his brief so we have to be super focus
The drive was fast safari style with medium and high dunes, although the track was too bumpy but we had an amazing drive, big arches and high climb Abu Salim really gave us a blast 💥
After climbing the iftar bowl I had an issue with my car hood but with the help of everyone specially Tom, Ehab and Abu salim problem solved 👍
Then we moved to super bowl where we took a seat to watch and enjoy the the buggies and the modified cars playing over the bowl
Finally I would like to thank our founder Abu salim for organizing and leading this amazing drive
And big thank to support team for all their efforts to keep us safe
To all my fellows in this drive you really did great 👍
Until next time stay safe and see you soon on sand
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello everyone

By the time I creating the trip I was under impression that Spider-man movie would be released in the same weekend. Unfortunately, I was wrong but I was right that it will be chaos after the sunset with huge group of none offroaders.

The drive itself went as planned with no issues but @Abubakar & @optimus played role to keep the convoy together . Thanks guys and well done.

I think by now all the Oldbies should see what is coming in the future, Faster, drives, higher dunes and endourance drive. So get ready because the weather is getting better and marshals are going to hold back.

Till next time stay safe and looking forward to see you in the sand.

Cheers
Shamsi
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Kevin

Hello almosters!

This was a fairly fast paced drive with plenty of side crests and some fairly long climbs. As mentioned by previous reports there were plenty of tracks and divets causing a very bumpy ride and an easy loss of the convoy if you didn’t keep a close eye on and sensible distance from the vehicle in front. A number of non member vehicles added to the challenge and general interest too.

The bumps meant a few more flag failures than typical on a drive and @nidal78 had a minor technical failure with some bolts holding his bonnet (hood for the non English speaking 😉) to his mighty GMC. But no pop-outs and no recovery’s needed that I am aware of! A really good drive and effort by all.

Thanks to all who came and participated. Another adrenaline fuelled afternoon with a well disciplined and safe group!

Thank you Almost4X4
Ehab
media
media

Hi almosters,
A dream come true, after many many many technical drives, the time has come for a rally style and fast pace drive and what a drive that was, huge dunes, many side cresting, only few stops for quick self recoveries, recovery rops were not used at all, that is something i have seen on dreams only.
A request for a non technical drive fulfilled by our club founder @alshamsi who was very kind to take the 10+ newbies to al madam area. We were taken there to have extreme fun but priority one was safety, it was crowded area and very hard to identify the right track, without the attentiveness of our marshals and support team, drivers can easily get lost. Thank you all for your attention to detail, highly appreciated.

After many side cresting and climbs, we reached Iftar bowl, it was magnificent, i climbed it 5 times and was planning to do it one more time but we were called to go to the super bowl before it get crowded, we arrive there and there was not a single place to stand, so we parked way back but what a view, we have seen all types of fully modified cars that are more built to fly and not to drive on land, buggies and unbranded vehicles that are build very light but with massive engines, that was awesome but too risky.

Not a single pull or recovery needed, few self recoveries, one person lost for few minutes and one technical issue, thats it. Usually we drive 5-6 minutes and we have to stop for a recovery, a pop-out or a mechanical issue, this drive was amazing. Less than 2 hours of driving but real and actual core dune bashing, love it and cannot wait for the next one.

Enjoy watching, not advisable for kids below 18 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Zain

Hello Almosters,

When I saw the meeting point was Badayer, I got pretty excited since a drive there means it will be fast paced and safari style.

During the briefing our lead @alshamsi_m had mentioned to us that a key thing in this drive will be to maintain proper distance. Too far and you will very easily lose the track, too close and you can compromise your momentum on the climbs. Most of the time when someone had to do a second try, they would need one of the sweeps to guide them back to the convoy since the convoy would already be out of sight.

Highlight of the trip was when we reached iftar bowl and were told we can have a go on it. I made two attempts myself. In one of the attempts I had some traffic, when I was near the top a buggy was approaching from the other side and I decided to turn down and abort the climb. Good for us we were being instructed by @alshamsi_m on the radio who was keeping an eye on us and guiding us.

Thank you @alshamsi_m for the drive, @optimus and @Mabubaker for floating, @mpodroid, @Rathica and @Tomvanhouten for support, and finally @Ehab and @nidal78 for the media coverage.

Until next time,
Zain
optimus
Marshal
Marshal

Hi All,

Drive : No Way Home
Level : newbie +10
Organizer : @alshamsi_m
Lead : @alshamsi_m
Float : @Abubakar & Myself
Inter : @Tomvanhouten @mpodroid @Rathica

This was one of those drives where the newbies are put to the test to unlock their sixth sense killzonesmiley . The drive was fast. melt

Maintaining proper & safe distance was the learning during the entire drive.
Few times the convoy got disconnected due to the drivers doing the 2nd tries and while in the process losing the sight of the lead car.

I really had fun floating around the convoy witnessing how bu Salem was enjoying navigating the convoy through those dunes. in love

Few points that I would like to mention that would really help you as you grow with you 2nd family:

-a quick underbody check of your car. Looks for any oil leaks, shocks, control arms. (I remember few years back we had a interm drive in sweihan, the lead marshal while deflating the tires saw that one of the shocks absorber nut is missing and the rod is dislocated from its original location).
-if a convoy is stopped & the marshal instructs to go one by one. Always wait for the marshal or support to call your name before to go ahead. This avoids unnecessary confusion, waste of time and eventual mishap.
-at this level there is no last man standing concept. So if a driver does a 2nd try the rest of the convoy behind him waits until he’s clear.
-at the beginning of the drive a certain convoy position is allocated to the drivers. However during the drive do not overtake to take your positions if there have been 2nd tries unless the marshal or support informs you to do so.
-keep coming & driving, have fun at the same time be safe.

All the best.

Until next time!
Optimus
Black FJ (The Godfather)