All Lead XI - 2021

Sorin
media
media

Hello everyone,

I started my journey with Almost4x4 two years ago in a very expensive car and zero knowledge, in a convoy led by @presa.

Today I had the honor to lead an intermediate level drive for a short period with the same @presa as my second lead…

I have no words to express my immense gratitude to this club and its marshals and support teams…

Literally no words… mind blown whut

I came to the meeting point in Sweihan early as usual to catch some glimpses of the majestic sunrise and I managed to get some really good shots along with Ammar who also came to the MP early.

Excitement and fear was in the air as I’ve never led anyone in a desert drive before, let alone an intermediate level convoy and a few marshals.

The rest of the crew arrived along with the marshals and after the greetings we were split into two convoys: advanced & intermediate. We the intermediates were told not to push it beyond our level when we lead but at the same time not to drive newbie style. The point was to find a good balance that allows for some fun and a good flow.

And one last thing as mentioned by Singh: remember the snake game from old Nokia phones and don’t eat your own tail when you’re leading :))

We started in a sequence determined by the notes we picked from Rashid’s medicine bag and I got to be 3rd after Samer and David. Had some issues introducing the coordinates into my GPS due to very little practice but in the end I managed to get it right.

We started the drive with Samer as the first lead and Presa behind him.

He went on to carve beautiful and challenging lines in the dunes that set the standard very high for the rest of us. So much so that the only Toyota FJ Cruiser had to abandon the drive after 10-15 minutes.

After Samer went David who kept the level high, myself with a lower level lead and Ammar & Marco doing the last two parts of the drive, again raising the stakes.

Despite the big dunes and endless possibilities, all the intermediates showed restraint and responsibility in delivering a very good drive, no risks taken but very fun.

The fact that the Marshalls didn’t have to intervene, I think, shows that everyone did a good job.

The drive ended faster than we would have wished, with the time flying by very quickly as the saying goes, time flies when you’re having fun!

It was a drive that I’m sure added to our level of confidence and experience and it’s amazing to see the results of patience and carefully listening and implementing what the marshals teach you from CM to higher levels.

A big big thank you to the club, the marshals, you guys are heroes in my book.

Hope to see you all soon!
I approve this message ⬆️
David
Intermediate
Intermediate

Intermediate drives always get me excited but this one took it to a new level, very different scenario with the opportunity to lead alongside some very good friends.

Starting point Sweihan, the "entrance towards Naqra", convoy divided in 2, advanced with Scorpio and Giorgio, intermediate with Rashid & Singh (one car), Presa, Shamsi, Solmaz and Agalon (with the passenger that does not trust trip reports and wants to be ready for when it is his turn)

6 intermediate drivers that became 5 for some mechanical issue before he could take the lead, very sad when this happens, we all look forward to the drives so much and to have to leave without having almost driven is sad. TT TT

25min per driver with some coordinates given as a guideline in what area to "play around", small distance between starting and ending point so the idea is to play the dunes and find the lines within the given area, a few minutes before your time is up go to the end point so the next driver can take over.

2 very different areas we drove in, starting area (Samer, Sorin and myself) with lovely dunes, not much vegetation but too many tracks, difficult to find any decent line that had not been used, 2nd area where Rashid normally finishes his "Al Ain airport" drives (Ammar & Marco), clean of tracks but plenty of bushes and sharper crests.

Loads of doubts pre-drive on what to do, asked one Marshall and his recommendation was spot on, "have fun safely", this is what I would say to anyone reading this in the future prior to taking part in All Lead. thumbsup

Now time to be honest, I have lied, previously I have said that 2nd lead is the best position in the convoy, nope, leading is the best position, scary at the beginning when you start but extremely rewarding when you grow in confidence, a few words based on personal experience if I may to those newbies who might read this, I still remember very well when I started leading with friends, the "usual leader" left Dubai, group came to the conclusion that I was then the more experienced so my turn, 1st drives were a nightmare, wrong lines, no fluidity, plenty of ditches ... such a difference between leading and following, after sometime you get better and then it is the position you always want in the convoy, my advise to those who do not lead regularly or are a bit scared about it, take any chance safely that you have and lead, it is just time and practice and you will end up loving it.

I think my fellow intermediates did a fantastic job, different style, pace, terrain, ... but I really enjoyed following each one of them so very well done guys!!! thumbsup thumbsup

Finally time to say thank you, first to Rashid for arranging the drive, secondly to our shared second lead, Presa, as I told him after the drive probably the best 2nd lead I have ever had Psmiley ... Marshalls and founder that watched from the sides to make sure we were safe and finally my fellow intermediates for another fantastic drive!!!

See you on the sand soon!!!
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello Everyone

Thanks for @Rashidjass for organizing the event and waking us up from early morning blank Also @presa & @Scorpio for taking the responsibility for the second lead to the all lead event.

Although there were many groups and convoys in the same area, we were lucky enough to have a smooth ride. It was the other marshals' responsibility like @Solmaz , @Agalon , @giorgio & I is to make sure that the surrounding is safe for the leading car and our marshals did a great job cool . Not forget that @SINGH was taking the role of timekeeping which a significant job of the day.

We had a great 3 hours drive without feeling it which means that our intermediates did a good job in the lead so well done all and looking forward to see you more in these drives.

till next time stay safe and see you in the camping season

Cheers
Shamsi
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
mpodroid
media
media

After the registration, I payed attention to the description and realised that All Lead XI is a special format, completely new to me: participants have a chance to lead the convoy.

I never had such an experience, drawing the lines, finding tracks, I always followed experienced marshals. Months ago I joined the Solo Bats 9.0, where I drove alone in the night: I had to choose my own tracks, but at my own pace, based on my confidence.

All Lead is different: you lead and you must do it at the intermediate level. In the best case, it is intimidating.

2 days before the drive my eyes started to be irritated and water. Will be ok to drive in the sand? Why not, but I cannot miss this drive ;-) Just put antibiotics as prescribed by the doctor.

At the meeting point, we had a friendly chit chat, marshals joking and having fun…. no intermediate said one single word. The tension was evident.

The destiny set me as the last leader, the 6th: my first though was “I am lucky, I can warm up and see how my fellows drive”. Immediately after I realised that it was the worst seat: at the end of the drive, when I am tired and it’s easier to do mistakes.

Anyway we started with @SameRaptoRed who gave us challenging tracks, pushing a lot and eliminating the only FJ in the intermediates group. Then @David amazing lines surfing on the crest of the dunes. @Sorin kept up with the good pace and we had fun. Then @Ammarxterra he took some minutes to adjust to the role, but he started leading very well: unluckily, in the middle my camera run out of battery.

Then, my time came:
* breath
* secure the gear in the back
* replace camera battery
* mount camera inside the car

I planned the video recording in advance: if I lead there is not that much to show, so I mounted the camera inside the car, to be able to record the sand in front of me and - at the same time - my face. I tested this setup during the week and the result was nice.

Everything ready, thumb up to @presa and good to go.

No, few meters and camera mount was loose: I tried to arrange it while driving on a flat area, after some attempts I made it. Pressed record: no way, weird beeping, no recording. No matter, I had a mission to accomplish.

I started leading, but hey, it’s much harder that following. I tried to climb some dunes, do some side cresting, but clearly my lines were definitely “unusual”, bumpy and not smooth.

After a while my car also lost power and we had to stop: air filter box was full of sand (despite I emptied the day before) and throttle sensor dirty. @SameRaptoRed and @Agalon supported cleaning up everything and then I had my 10 remaining minutes of fun.

Overall, I learnt a lot:
* leading is another level of driving - whichever is the level you are - and I do not have it in me, yet
* I need to practice, but at a lower level. I am not yet good enough as an intermediate to relax and enjoying it

At the end of the day, I am grateful to @Rashidjass for the drive, @presa and @alshamsi_m who encouraged me, my intermediates mates who did very well and all the marshals who lead us every weekend on amazing tracks.

Marco

PS Today, my eyes still water. For the time being this is my report. Hopefully soon I'll edit the video of the drive.
Last edited by Phoenix on Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: FIXED NAME TAGGING
If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.
Rune's Rule
Murphy's Law
orlantsev
Advance
Advance

Simply one of the best drives in my book 😊

Ironically I have been thinking about All Lead few days before @Rashidjass sent a ‘devil’ smiley in a chat. Little concern was the timing. I have made travel arrangements for Saturday and there was NO typical ‘disclaimer’ not to make after the drive commitments. Still I was still slightly worried if I would need to see the mechanic instead of travel.

In my off-road Episode 1 I did an Intermediate All Lead twice so I had a rough idea of what to expect. Lights off early on Thursday and on to watch a sunrise on Friday morning. Around half way to the meeting point I met @giorgio who informed me not to expect any petrol station until Sweihan, so I decided to turn back to the petrol station to avoid fuel related worries.

Upon arrival to the meeting point I almost joined one of the few other convoys as some of the cars looked familiar. I have to agree with the earlier narrators that the usual karak / coffee ritual was tenser than usual. The convoy was split into intermediates and advance and coordinates with sequence were given to intermediates. If I recall well this is a difference from my earlier All Lead(s) as before we basically had to aim for just one end point while taking turns at the helm of the convoy. The advance group did not get any specific coordinates, but the whole track which we roughly had to follow. My Garmin refused to accept the track wirelessly (apparently a compatibility issue between 650 and 680 models), so when it was my turn I used a borrowed GPS.

As for the drive it was nothing but spectacular. Not once I looked how the lead car approached what looked like a vertical wall from a soft side to do a side crest and thought to myself “no, that’s not possible”, than saw it over the crest and did the same. Happy to say that after few mods Patrol is doing better with each drive. Almost no over-heat issues almost until the end of my lead and even then I was unnecessarily alarmed that it was caused by a nasty front hit in the ditch. After a short break at higher gears the temperature returned to normal.

My fellow drivers were all super persistent. When the dune did not want to give in from the first attempt we would do second and third try until it was conquered. During the entire drive there were only few recoveries – all in a situation when the lead car got crested, but not a single time any of the following cars had to be recovered. I got slightly distracted when I got report from home that there was a big flood in our area and my wife was stranded outside our house. Since my time to lead was approaching, I thought that I was in a bigger danger than any of the flood victims. I still think I am a better swimmer than driver 😊.

In my view the most interesting area was where @nabil led. It was relatively high dunes. We stayed there for a while and did few of the same crests more than once.

When it was my turn to lead the task was to return to the road by covering a small section of smaller dunes and finding a way through the farm. At the road we saw the intermediate convoy which had already finished the drive. I then heard on the radio somebody asked where we were going. I doubled checked the map and was confident I was going in the right direction. I got confused, before I realized it was the intermediate convoy asking why we were not finished yet. Thanks to @scorpio for letting me to have my share of fun.

It always appears different when you lead and when you observe, but one thing you know for sure is when you approach the crest too aggressively. I immediately heard @giorgion on the radio telling me exactly what I have already felt with my back 😊 I also understand why the marshal is a second lead. I went into a small bowl (I should say rather unintentionally) and at the bottom of it hit the ditch. @scorpio in a split second avoided me and alerted the rest of the convoy not to follow which helped to avoid bigger congestion at the bottom. It was at that moment when my temperature gauge started to crawl up, so it was decided to head for an exit.

If anyone still has doubts if they should invest in a skid plate, you may see the dents on mine after this drive. The skid plate from @Rashidjass has done a great job. I think for Patrols in any drive invitation there should be a note to bring extra fuel. Just before we got back to the road my fuel indicator light came on – this means more or less 70 ltr of fuel burnt in less than 4 hours.

Few more reflections after the drive. It helps immensely when you are allowed to float in lower level drives. Even you are under less pressure you gain experience in choosing approach trajectories. Second – leading reminds me my favorite game of billiard. Managing one dune is not an issue. Bigger issue is where you go next. You need to think several steps ahead. Thirdly – before I was too obsessed with GPS. Now I realize that for as long as you are generally in the right area (which you can judge by sun position) it is fine. Of course as long as there is no emergency and you need to find a quick exit. Lastly, events like this really help the confidence which sometimes is as important as the skill itself.

See you all soon.
giorgio
Marshal
Marshal

All Lead to my opinion, it is one of the best events that the club is organizing. This is the second benchmark after EIB that gives the opportunity to the drivers for a second time (after EIB) to benchmark their progress over time and evaluate themselves how far they have come and what they have accomplished.

Under the safe umbrella of the watchful eyes of the Marshalls, the drivers have the chance to take the lead and drive a relatively small convoy. As every game this game has its rules:
a) drive your level
b) you jump level you get a warning
c) you continue on a higher level the second lead will not follow
d) you drive lower than your level rules b-c applies again.
e) do not bite the tale of the convoy.

Simple forward rules that are not actually that easy to follow and implement.

In this drive we had 2 levels driving in the same area. One was the advanced drivers and the second was the Intermediate drivers.

I was assigned to drive as a sweeper and time keeper for the advance level with @Scorpio on the second lead, working as a safety link to keep the convoy out of harm's way, in the event that the first lead has a problem

Overall the drivers did a great job leading and you could easily see the different styles throughout the drive.
The terrain gave the opportunity to  all drivers to bring out their best performance.  The dunes were big with soft sand and sharp crests in many areas. A small amount of vegetation, and a fair amount of ditches kept the drivers in an alert mode throughout the drive.

If I am to make a comment of how that drive could have been improved further, I would comment only on one thing. Better radio communication on the second try. As all the participants noticed, we drove in a small area with no given track ( at least not all of us had it). The lead cars (majority of them)  were circling on a small radius and in many cases second tries forced the drivers to re-route. Now rerouting on a terrain with big dunes and with a lead car that may change direction (backwards) in any time was a scenario that could have easily led to an accident. That is why I had to call the lead cars to hold the convoy until we all get to be regrouped again.

Other than that it was an amazing drive.

I was so proud to see all the drivers requesting for additional time with big smiles and satisfaction in their faces.  

The drive ended on time with no casualties and I am sure that each driver on his way home had the chance to review in his mind how they did and what they had accomplished.

For once more the club brought all drivers to a check themselves,  proving to all of us that if we work hard then the reward is in our reach.  

To close my report I would like to thank all the participant drivers, all the Marshalls and founder who were there to support and provide safety to the convoys and last but not list the Organizer @Rashidjass for putting all the time and the effort ( extra scouting trip to ensure the safety of the area) to organize this amazing challenge.

Until next time drive safe and l am looking forward to see you all again  
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of the sheep
Mahmoodyasin
Advance
Advance

All lead (an unforgettable drive)
A very special drive for me as this would mark yet another major milestone in my diary, similar to the previous ones which were not possible without the mentoring of our beloved marshals. :in_love:
@Rashidjass split us into two groups, while intermediates had to pull out a chit to form the order of the leads, the advance were allowed to select among them, before any one said a word @optimus grabbed the first spot, followed by myself, @Nabil and @orlantsev . @Scorpio was second lead and @giorgio kept the watchful eye on the convoy.
we were given a track which had way points at all the major dunes in the area. however the initial cluster had lot of convoys present which got both the convoys in a hazardous situation . Soon the gravity of the situation was realised and the marshals asked us to move out and route the our convoy to, an area parallel to the track.
After @optimus set up a high bar, it was my turn to take the lead. One thing that relaxed me was that i didn't need to bother about the level of the drive, safety, radio communication and looking after tail was my top priority. The plan was to replica the exclusive skills of our marshals, that i had been observing/learning for years: looking for the right line to climb ( @Rashidjass ), the optimum momentum (@Solmaz ), the 3 secs trick to be on the crest while doing the sidecrests (@Daggerfall ), chop the crest till the end (@Scorpio ), push to the limits (@Agalon ), select the right pace to do multiple side crests (@SINGH ), to always ensure its safe (@Barish ), never say die (@presa ), adjust the level of the drive with respect to the convoy's performance (@alshamsi_m ).
First few minutes it was difficult for me to judge the right pace for the convoy, but soon i adjusted and kept the flow moving, since we were in area not often driven, just after we did a sidecrest, myself and 2nd lead entered into a huge bowl full of camels, the convoy behind was notified and immediately we managed to careful get out without any distubances. it was decided to head closer to the original track since by now we had left the other convoys behind. there were some second tries reported behind for which i had to hold the convoy a couple of times. Challenge was to keep the radio communication very clear and consistent, i think the lot did well on it.
My time ended when i managed to find a nice line to climb a huge dune and to finish with a series of side crests (felt awesome).
Not getting criticized by the 2nd lead @Scorpio and not getting a frequent correction by the hawk eye @giorgio makes me feel that the lead wasn't boring at all grin
Next two leads @Nabil and @orlantsev did a wonderful job with their turns and finally we ended the drive on time, with no causalities nose bleed

It was a proud moment to lead the convoy just after 2 plus years of being in the club, this was only possible with the coaching and mentoring offered by founders and marshals.

Huge thanks to @Rashidjass for giving us a chance, @Scorpio , @Agalon , @Solmaz , @presa , @giorgio and @alshamsi_m for the support and watching our backs.

till next time
Mahmoodyasin
White fj cruiser
Blizzard
Scorpio
Marshal
Marshal

Hello Everyone,

First of all, congratulations to all the intermediate and advance members who participated in this special drive thumbsup . Needless to mention but this drive gives a lot of insights to the participants about their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to off-roading.

As many of the desert areas are getting fenced so, the organizing Marshall @Rashidjass had to put a lot of efforts behind the scene in terms of scouting, study and planning, to organize this drive to ensure that intermediates and advance members can lead safely :yuush:. After the formation of two convoys; me and @giorgio were assigned to the Advance convoy while @alshamsi_m, @presa, @SINGH, rashidjass, @Solmaz and @Agalon went ahead with the intermediates.

Being the 2nd lead in my convoy, I enjoyed four different leads from participating advance members. Everyone had a unique style and the difference in their attitude towards the dunes was quite evident. Though there have been second tries and stucks but at no point I saw unsafe or dangerous driving – well done :yuush: .

In summary, I have few ‘lead’ advices for you:

1. Focus on your lines – the more you make them smoother, the easier it would get for you to reach to the top of dune
2. Straight climb and then sharp turn to come parallel to the crest – don’t ever try this, until you master Point 1
3. If you cannot conquer a dune, don’t take it personally. Keep that challenge for some other day. Don’t let your ego/frustration overcome your mind
4. You simply cannot touch your tail unless you are trapped and there is no other option – in that case radio communication is mandatory to warn your convoy
5. Giving clearance after a ‘tricky’ crest or situation starts from the lead car
6. Always expect a sharp drop on the other side of the crest when you approach – if you find a flat ground on the other side you are good, else you came prepared anyways
7. If you are not there yet, don’t push. Give yourself time and you will reach there soon
8. Marshalls know about your skills so, don’t try to impress them

At the end, I would say that it was a lovely morning and I had the pleasure to follow your amazing leads. Thank you Giorgio for your watchful eyes and reliable support thumbsup .

Enjoy the videos!

Cheers,
Scorpio
+971 55 5804488
Drives a grey FJ 'Everest'
The race for excellence has no finish line!
presa
Marshal
Marshal

Good morning Almosters!

We had a blast drive on this Friday morning.

Convoy was divided as Intermediates and Advances. I was assigned by our organizer @Rashidjass as 2nd lead to the Intermediate convoy.

Intermediate convoy was formed by @Ammarxterra , @David , @Jasper , @mpodroid , @SameRaptoRed and @Sorin .

Support was done by the Marshals @alshamsi_m, @Agalon , @Rashidjass, @SINGH and @Solmaz .

Everyone did well each one with his personal style. The only event to be mentioned was an unsuccessful side slope, due to low speed and very soft sand, that was managed by the leading car.

@SameRaptoRed started leading, on an area full of medium dunes and good bowls. He used to his best the light weight and big tires, sliding on the bowl´s walls, straight climbing soft side walls... not a fast drive, but a technical precise track... putting trouble on the cars behind... there were many second tries, the small convoy losing the track, myself was not able to follow the track a couple times... but NONE dangerous attitude. The bar was set at a very high level!

@David was the 2nd to come. Comparable car setup than the previous car, but completely different driving style. Quite fast drive, many side crests, crest riding with long climbs, soft of hard side, dont matter... some sliding that with the big tires werent easy to follow on my FJ and a clean approach on most of the climbs... the convoy was having tons of fun!!

@Sorin got the 3rd position and then I was sure that the jeepers had something against the Fjs that day... on an area with a mix of smaller bowls, sharper side crests and soft sand, he started on a cautious attitude that lasted less than 5min... getting into the zone Sorin imposed a fast pace, with classic approaching angles and riding the crests as much as possible... the classic style decrease the number of 2nd tries and the flow was quite nice, while the fun level was very high!!

After Sorin we had a 10 min pause and moved from one area the the second one.

@Ammarxterra was the 4th leader, on a different area. Sharper dunes, some bushes, bumpy climbs... the new area was harder to the leading car than the previous area. The leading car adapted to the new area and put a fast drive, with long climbs, nice side crests, avoid most of the ditches, although not all of them LOL, got some good sliding on the higher dunes and kept the fun level high!!

@mpodroid was the last to take the leader. Taking long climbs, avoiding the bushes and enjoying the sharp side crests, the leading car was doing great, keeping a good pace and well using the area style to his favor. But.... I was feeling the drive was some way weird... than @mpodroid jeep stop due to an engine problem... that what was off... no jeep had a problem so far!!! Jokes aside, after cleaning the air filter, intake and throttle body, Marco was able to continue to his last 10min driving in a brilliant way.

@Jasper hit a ditch at the start of the drive and damaged his steering wheel, so was not able to lead the drive.

Hope all drivers had as much fun as I had and looking forward for the next drive!
Sorin
media
media

presa wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:18 am Good morning Almosters!

We had a blast drive on this Friday morning.

Convoy was divided as Intermediates and Advances. I was assigned by our organizer @Rashidjass as 2nd lead to the Intermediate convoy.

Intermediate convoy was formed by @Ammarxterra , @David , @Jasper , @mpodroid , @SameRaptoRed and @Sorin .

Support was done by the Marshals @alshamsi_m, @Agalon , @Rashidjass, @SINGH and @Solmaz .

Everyone did well each one with his personal style. The only event to be mentioned was an unsuccessful side slope, due to low speed and very soft sand, that was managed by the leading car.

@SameRaptoRed started leading, on an area full of medium dunes and good bowls. He used to his best the light weight and big tires, sliding on the bowl´s walls, straight climbing soft side walls... not a fast drive, but a technical precise track... putting trouble on the cars behind... there were many second tries, the small convoy losing the track, myself was not able to follow the track a couple times... but NONE dangerous attitude. The bar was set at a very high level!

@David was the 2nd to come. Comparable car setup than the previous car, but completely different driving style. Quite fast drive, many side crests, crest riding with long climbs, soft of hard side, dont matter... some sliding that with the big tires werent easy to follow on my FJ and a clean approach on most of the climbs... the convoy was having tons of fun!!

@Sorin got the 3rd position and then I was sure that the jeepers had something against the Fjs that day... on an area with a mix of smaller bowls, sharper side crests and soft sand, he started on a cautious attitude that lasted less than 5min... getting into the zone Sorin imposed a fast pace, with classic approaching angles and riding the crests as much as possible... the classic style decrease the number of 2nd tries and the flow was quite nice, while the fun level was very high!!

After Sorin we had a 10 min pause and moved from one area the the second one.

@Ammarxterra was the 4th leader, on a different area. Sharper dunes, some bushes, bumpy climbs... the new area was harder to the leading car than the previous area. The leading car adapted to the new area and put a fast drive, with long climbs, nice side crests, avoid most of the ditches, although not all of them LOL, got some good sliding on the higher dunes and kept the fun level high!!

@mpodroid was the last to take the leader. Taking long climbs, avoiding the bushes and enjoying the sharp side crests, the leading car was doing great, keeping a good pace and well using the area style to his favor. But.... I was feeling the drive was some way weird... than @mpodroid jeep stop due to an engine problem... that what was off... no jeep had a problem so far!!! Jokes aside, after cleaning the air filter, intake and throttle body, Marco was able to continue to his last 10min driving in a brilliant way.

@Jasper hit a ditch at the start of the drive and damaged his steering wheel, so was not able to lead the drive.

Hope all drivers had as much fun as I had and looking forward for the next drive!

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed and very helpful report thumbsup

We all appreciate it very much
I approve this message ⬆️