Milkshake

Booy
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hello everyone,

Nice pictures @Dave

Milkshake was my first official intermediate drive, and I was fortunate to be in third place in the convoy, behind @Dave .

I had so much fun, and did not want the drive to end, although it was getting really hot out in the sand.
@Dave and @orlantsev , if only I had a pop out, I would have had AED500 more in my bank account this evening. Unfortunately I got a taste today of the infamous FJ rear tyre eating habit. The inner side wall of the right rear tyre got cut, and left me with a flat tyre. Thank you everyone for your quick and efficient help to change the tyre, and get the spare wheel fitted. It certainly was an impressive team effort to get that tyre changed with the spare in the heat of the morning. I really appreciate your help.

I am looking forward to future drives at this level, which I really enjoy!

Thank you [MENTION=1633]Yoghybear[/MENTION] for the great lead, and organising this trip.

Till we meet again..
@Booy

Blue FJ Cruiser, with an Atlas on the door
Adam
Intermediate
Intermediate

I'll be the first to put up my hand and say that I struggled for the 1st half of the mornings drive. Having the wrong pressure in my tires (thanks [MENTION=3678]Hockey[/MENTION] for pointing this out) for the terrain conditions from the start didn't help matters...something that won't happen again. I had real trouble and I simply couldn't find my rhythm. However, I'm not sure I fully agree with some of Daves comments. Try to remember back to the time that when you did your 1st official intermediate drive with Almost :D

That said, the 2nd half of the drive flowed much better with some excellent track choices by [MENTION=1633]Yoghybear[/MENTION].

Cheers [MENTION=8472]Dave[/MENTION] for taking me for a spin. It's really good to go with an advanced driver for a blast around the dunes because you quickly learn correct gear choices, acceleration point and lines to take. Much appreciated.

Last point - don't use RotoPax for fuel storage. They may work well in more temperate climates but definitely not here. Mine warped very badly.

Below is the track info with the track link and some pictures.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0nqOD ... p=drivesdk

Activity type: driving
Description: -
Total distance: 68.13 km (42.3 mi)
Total time: 3:14:42
Moving time: 2:43:36
Average speed: 20.99 km/h (13.0 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 24.98 km/h (15.5 mi/h)
Max speed: 92.02 km/h (57.2 mi/h)
Average pace: 2:51 min/km (4:36 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 2:24 min/km (3:52 min/mi)
Fastest pace: 0:39 min/km (1:03 min/mi)
Max elevation: 242 m (794 ft)
Min elevation: 153 m (501 ft)
Elevation gain: 831 m (2727 ft)
Max grade: 24 %
Min grade: -26 %
Recorded: 20/05/2016 6:32 a.m.

[IMG]http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss15 ... lhm0b.jpeg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss15 ... f0hlv.jpeg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss15 ... 8pctx.jpeg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss15 ... hw7ya.jpeg[/IMG]
Yoghybear
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, is my turn to say something about the trip.
First of all I would like to thank you all of you guys for the great morning drive and for your performance.
Second, I agree with [MENTION=10405]Adam[/MENTION] and consequently disagree with [MENTION=8472]Dave[/MENTION] and [MENTION=9649]matts[/MENTION] (btw hope your toy will be back soon!) about the starting level.
Of course for expert Adv and Int drivers the first part was easy, but for fresh Int drivers it was for sure tricky......small dunes and technical drive, and for who knows me....no time to warm up, so the equation is quite easy, i.e. new drivers were struggling.
Once we reached the second section with higher dunes and different sand, the drive turned completely and everyone did a good job.
Looking on the numbers posted by [MENTION=10405]Adam[/MENTION] , I am quite impressed and satisfied about what you guys did.
Almost 70km drive with stop time of about 30 minutes (of which most was in the first few kilometers) is a great performance in a trip where, for half of the drivers, it was the entry drive in the higher level.
As said before the weather was very hot, so next time we have to start earlier, get ready guys for a very early alarm.
Special thanks to [MENTION=8472]Dave[/MENTION] for being my second leader, [MENTION=3678]Hockey[/MENTION] for the sweeping, [MENTION=1716]salhinai[/MENTION] for coming from far and supporting us and [MENTION=9155]Mark B[/MENTION] for the usual support and to have sacrificed himself to accompany [MENTION=9649]matts[/MENTION] out of the desert, great man!
Thanks once more to everybody and see you next time.
Cheers
matts
Intermediate
Intermediate

Good Evening [MENTION=1633]Yoghybear[/MENTION]

I'm actually quite pleased that we're disagreeing 'openly' its all good constructive discussion. I wouldn't want anybody to think they weren't free to say what they think, if you think I'm wrong tell me, as long its constructive ill be happy :) . I'm in the UK next weekend so plenty of time to get everything squared away with the Jeep ready for 2 weeks time.
Yoghybear
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi [MENTION=9649]matts[/MENTION],
Honestly speaking I don't think you or [MENTION=8472]Dave[/MENTION] are wrong, what I mean is that based on the experience, each driver give a different evaluation of the trip level, and I fully accept and like this, because it gives me an idea about "where you are".
On the other side we have to consider the level range inside the convoy.....experienced Adv/Int vs fresh Int.... LOL....I would have been disappointed if you didn't find easy :-))
Anyway constructive comments are more than welcome, they also help us to improve in order to give you guys the best.
Have a safe trip and see you soon in the sand.
Rob
Dave
Advance
Advance

"In summary a mixed drive. A lower than normal standard to start with. Then a higher than expected to finish! But from what I observed for almost all the drive was how well the newly promoted intermediates performed! A real good effort ! Well done!"

Above is the summary to my trip report. There seems to be a lot of agreeing , disagreeing, right and wrong?! In my report I complimented the new upgrades ! They did great! I just observed a slow start and a fast finish!

Regardless of what [MENTION=1633]Yoghybear[/MENTION], [MENTION=9649]matts[/MENTION], [MENTION=10405]Adam[/MENTION] or myself think there are two underlining issues. The "Intermediate" level covers too broad a range of experience. And mixed in amongst those drivers are us Advance level guys as we don't have any drives posted at our level.

Good intentions were in place to have two convoys for this drive, giving two levels of drive. But manpower was limiting. Which is the second underlining issue. Our marshals are stretched to the limit trying to please everyone. And it's just the same few guys posting trips every weekend.

Anyhow, regardless of level it's still fun driving with everyone here. Our trip reports are individual observations. So each will be different. That's why many are posted! And as [MENTION=9649]matts[/MENTION] said, it's great we can be open here ! Even if it means the odd "thumbs down" !!
matts
Intermediate
Intermediate

I only ever give thumbs downs to people who drive Nissans anyway :have a nice day:
Adam
Intermediate
Intermediate

[quote=matts;47318]I only ever give thumbs downs to people who drive Nissans anyway :have a nice day:[/quote]

Oi!....
Dave
Advance
Advance

[quote=matts;47318]I only ever give thumbs downs to people who drive Nissans anyway :have a nice day:[/quote]

Thanks [MENTION=9649]matts[/MENTION]!! I found the current thumbs down emoji insufficient in size to give real meaning towards my regard for all things Jeep! However, when one the size of my screen comes available I'll send you on a sample!! [MENTION=10405]Adam[/MENTION] too probably! :Psmiley:
Barish
Marshal
Marshal

It was really a cool start of my intermediate journey. The drive has indicated me clearly what is waiting for us in the new level. Opportunity to challenge yourself, opportunity to observe what the experienced drivers are doing against these challenges and what you need to do....and more!

I would like to thank [MENTION=1633]Yoghybear[/MENTION] for organizing such a trip in such an exciting track. It was obviously a Yoghy drive!...I believe we would keep enjoying more if the hot weather was not hitting..I would like to thank also to all advanced and intermediate drivers who made this an another memorable Almost 4x4 morning...

See you on the sand at the earliest and change by increasing the momentum of improving..

Barish