Desert Mania

ginger
Intermediate
Intermediate

Desert Mania- what an amazing drive, quite simply an awesome adrenalin-pumped afternoon, with a great group of friends! That’s my report …..!
Ok , I’ll say a bit more!
I knew it was going to be good, when I arrived and saw who was driving , I knew it would be ‘old school’ fun and AlKhatib did not disappoint us.In fact it got better and better, and I recall thinking (as the sun went down) ‘he’s going to take us up that dune and that one , and that one as well’. We certainly ended on a ‘high’ !

The combination of 2 Intermediates and then 1 advanced made the convoy configuration most interesting for me, but I think it was the intensity of the drive , with very few long breaks , that kept the afternoon flowing (despite the few incidents ..burst-tyre, stucks etc)

Being critical of the drive , the only point worth raising was that we should have used the radios more for reporting second attempts etc. There were a couple of instances I saw where ‘second rounds’ were not immediately reported on the radio, and this led to the convoy ‘over-taking’ the second-attempt, rather than waiting for the incident to clear.

Other than that though I have to say a huge thankyou to all the organisers for a really really great drive- more of the same please!
mike
Intermediate
Intermediate

What an afternoon ! Having been busy with work and family for the last 6 months, this trip reminded me how much I had missed!
The drive started fast (as promised) and with only a few stops, and ended with a fantastice sunset over the desert.

Thanks everyone, I'll see you all soon.

Mike
Mark B
Golden Member
Golden Member

Desert Mania – May 29th, 2015
Hot weather and a great company. [MENTION=9253]Mo Sh[/MENTION] rode shotgun with me trying to balance himself and take pictures at the same time. No easy task. Definitely an exciting trip. [MENTION=2]ALKHATIB[/MENTION] lost no time turning up the heat. Couple of hundred meters along then fence then a turn right pointing up the first large dune. This trip was all about momentum, climbing and side crests. There was no rest for the weary and few convoy stops. All drove well which made for a long fast drive covering a lot of territory.

There were a lot of sharp turns then a hard climb usually ending up with some form of crest crossing. Challenging when you bleed off all your momentum then have to power it back up. Thre were a few surprise ditches. I managed to wedge myself in one ditch with two tires gripping nothing but air. [MENTION=2]ALKHATIB[/MENTION] got in the drivers seat and somehow managed to work the Jeep out of the ditch. Still not sure how, but seeing it done means that it can be done.

We did a couple of bowls this trip and I think I am getting my throttle control under control. Never switched into second which means I was able to keep up with the car ahead. Yee Ha.

[MENTION=8718]momo[/MENTION] lost another tire on this trip. How many this year, MOMO, 4 or 5. When Momo’s birthday comes up, and you want to give him a gift, I suggest a gift card for a tire shop carrying his brand.

By the way. Momo had GoPros front and back this trip, so I am assuming a great video soon. There were a couple of times where the lead in the convoy was on the back side of the dune that the tail of the convoy was still traversing. Those should be come great shots.

At 6:30 we were not far from the midpoint of the trip. ALKHATIB up’d the speed, but did not reduce the technicality of the drive. Got to try out my new front bumper a couple of times on the ride home. Worth every penny I paid for it. Not sure how, but we landed back at the shops almost exactly at 7:00 PM.

Exciting trip. Thanks Marshals (you guys make it look so easy) and Drivers. See you in the sand soon.

Mark
desert_jellyfish

[quote=Mark B;42455]Got to try out my new front bumper a couple of times on the ride home.[/quote]

Congratulations are in order I see! :like: Stubby? Aluminum? Pictures and details please! :pacman:
SINGH
Golden Member
Golden Member

We were already alerted by Shamsi on the forum that it’s gonna be a fast paced drive and they kept their words very well.

Hot weather and a fast paced drive…. perfect combination… and all the fellow participant almosters drove well to keep the momentum going. The plan was very well drafted by our marshals and placing 2 intermediate -1 advance in the lineup worked really well....

The drive was a mix of High dunes, small technical dunes, side cresting and a “typical ditch” on top of a big dune as well where we heard from Khatib on radio “be careful, it’s a mix of everything on the top”.... :O_O:

As always, an another learning drive and enjoyed the company with our fellow members.

Thanks to Marshals and to the Advance drivers for your support.:thumbsup:
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

Enjoy:yaeh am not durnk:
[video=youtube;0XVf_pMSWa8][/video]
desert_jellyfish

[quote=momo;42503]Enjoy:yaeh am not durnk:
[video=youtube;0XVf_pMSWa8][/video][/quote]
[MENTION=8718]momo[/MENTION]: This is absolutely awesome! Very thrilling and exciting video - captures the fun of ALMOST4x4