Feel the Heat

orlantsev
Advance
Advance

I had been away from UAE for almost one month before this weekend drives and felt a desperate need for the desert. The urge was so high that I volunteered for the morning’s 10- drive led by Mazaaj. He kindly accepted me and at 6 am I was already at the meeting point. I think as it normally happens I knew only few people in this group and as I understood there were few people who just recently did the CM drive. The route was similar to the ‘Mighty Mouse’ trip last year – from Badayer, to Pink Rock, to 2nd of December, to Coffee Hills and finally to Fossil rock culminating with the drop. After the trip finished around 11 am on Maleha road I was faced with a choice – to wait until 10+ trip in the area or return home for lunch and a bit of rest not least because 2 hour presence at home could win me at least some ‘points’ during what otherwise was weekend away from home.

al_shamsi kindly sent a text instructing not to deflate at the meeting point for 10+ drive as there was a change in plan. I was surprised to see most of the folks already at the meeting point at 3 pm which was the meeting time. After some coffee at Nazwa shops we moved to the starting point near Madam. The area, as explained by al-shamsi, is frequently used for night drives. The area is characterized by medium sized sharp dunes. The sand was soft and temperature was above 40C. Just 10 minutes into the drive al-shamsi got stuck, next moment desert-BAT had a pop-out which was a bit tricky to fix as the surface was unstable and the car started to dangerously lean when secured by only one jack.

al-shamsi had 3 guests from Philippines. This time his communication over the radio was at times accompanied by group singing and at other times screams of fear. By this background noise rather than actual instruction I could judge better what was ahead.
We proceeded to the ‘ghost town’. It was my 2nd time there. I do not know what exactly happened there and why so many structures were abandoned. Apparently not all of the construction projects in Dubai are the guaranteed success. Upon climbing one dune there was a concrete fence on the other side of it and the car started to slide towards it, but I was lucky to escape. desert jellyfish who was behind me was not so lucky and the Jeep hit the wall with the bumper and stopped precariously on the edge of the wall. The rescue was very educating. Winch first, and followed by the pull. While the pop out was being fixed we enjoyed different treats which many brought – watermelon, oranges etc…

From ‘ghost town’ folks chose to drive back to Badayer which we reached by sunset. Since we had few minutes we moved into big dunes and reached the top to watch the amazing sunset.
Duli

Just as the name states... This drive did increase the heat in the drivers and 'WE DID SWEAT' :brigade.baka-wolf.c

As Strawb could not make it we had one long convoy of 15 cars including the lead/sweep/rescue.
[MENTION=9008]orlantsev[/MENTION] has already mentioned what we had gone thru during this drive.

This was the shortest drive I have ever done with the club. Not due to time driven but due to the distance covered during the drive. The drive was short but we learnt alot from it.

We were already warned that this is going to be a tough area with soft sand, sharp dunes.
[MENTION=1864]strawb[/MENTION] had mentioned in the opening post of the drive "Ensure you have a working compressor" .... Yes the compressors were used :)

In the first 500mtrs into the sand and we had our first second tries. Another 700mtrs and [MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION]'s car was just sucked into the sand. 100mtrs ahead [MENTION=8954]Desert BAT[/MENTION] was caught with a pop out. While fixing the pop out, [MENTION=9783]Daggerfall[/MENTION] announced problems with his car stalling. Unfortunately Daggerfall had to retire early :(.

The drive planned was... heading to Ghost Town followed by Super Bowl and then head out... We only managed to get to Ghost Town where [MENTION=2498]desert_jellyfish[/MENTION] was trying to park inside a villa which he thought he purchased and belonged to him... unfortunately the Resident Ghosts of that villa did not allow that... and fortunately it was a car saver for him. It was a near save, a little faster speed or a little late break could have a bad result. A recovery never seen before by our grade was witnessed here...

It was a very short but educating and exciting drive.

Looking forward to more challenging drives of this kind.

Thank you to all for a great Friday afternoon.

Till next time... Tc
desert_jellyfish

Hi Guys,

I can’t express my love for this club enough – grows more and more trip by trip and gathering by gathering!

I wanted to do like [MENTION=9008]orlantsev[/MENTION] and attend both drives on Friday because practice makes perfect and training never hurt anyone! But unfortunately I had to withdraw from the morning drive with [MENTION=1946]Mazaaj[/MENTION] and stick to the 10+ newbie drive in the afternoon.

On my way to pick up my passenger I had received the message that [MENTION=1864]strawb[/MENTION] will not be able to join and a slight change of plan. Still met at the same meeting point but did not deflate upon arrival.

Had a few really good karak’s and cigarettes and then we headed out….started out near Rafada Camp then to Ghost Town and ended at Badayer! As mentioned by [MENTION=8900]Duli[/MENTION] – we made a longer than expected stop at Ghost Town as I was working out my lease agreement with the tenants there…they were not very happy so they balanced me on one of the walls until I agreed to their terms :TT TT: I’d like to take the time to thank [MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION] and the rest of the team for keeping me and my passenger calm and for the rescue….thank you also to [MENTION=8718]momo[/MENTION] for the tug :thumbsup:

Also thank you to leader and marshal [MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION] for allowing us that beautiful ending in Badayer with the sunset – it was truly magnificent.

But all in all it was a great drive with a lot to learn – from rescue techniques to side-cresting techniques….I believe we all did great! Thanks again to all and look forward to more great drives!
Mohammad
Advance
Advance

It was a nice drive with multiple stopsSsSsSs.. even times I noticed [MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION] was literally sinking OR trying to dive with [MENTION=9665]Alyasi[/MENTION] (I guess this is a Nissan things :thumbsup:). Good learning on rescue skills with smile, patient, watermelon, cherry, orange,...... (did I missed any type of fruits).

Got ALMOST4x4 Paparazzi [MENTION=8718]momo[/MENTION] in action (waiting for the shoots and video)

[IMG]http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/attachment. ... 2442&stc=1[/IMG]

And if you are wondering what is the picture he was trying to capture is this

[IMG]http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/attachment. ... 2443&stc=1[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/attachment. ... 2444&stc=1[/IMG]
Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

I was very excited about this drive . The brifing before the drive was giving some hints about what we should expect. Unfortunately I had to leave due to a technical problem in the beginning. Thanks to @Zorro he assisted me to reach the tarmac. When you do 2-3 drives a weekend make sure your air intake and sensors are cleaned after these drives. Unfortunately it cought me again on the one which I wanted the most :((((
" I feel the need, the need for Speed " cool

Drives Black FJ " VF-1 Valkyrie " , Mob: 050 725 09 31
desert_jellyfish

[quote=Daggerfall;42384]Unfortunately it cought me again on the one which I wanted the most :(((([/quote]

Hope everything is ok bro! See you again on the next one inshallah ;)
Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

[quote=desert_jellyfish;42385]Hope everything is ok bro! See you again on the next one inshallah ;)[/quote]

Thank you. It is not a major problem, just needs cleaning. what makes me upset was the timing. This is how you get experience :) How is your car?
" I feel the need, the need for Speed " cool

Drives Black FJ " VF-1 Valkyrie " , Mob: 050 725 09 31
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi guys ..... its nice to see your trip reports

I had some mechanical issues and could not make the drive ..... big thanks to alshamsi_m for being there as always

See you guys soon
desert_jellyfish

[quote=strawb;42390]Hi guys ..... its nice to see your trip reports

I had some mechanical issues and could not make the drive ..... big thanks to alshamsi_m for being there as always

See you guys soon[/quote]

Hi strawb - we missed you! Yeah, we heard....hope everything is ok :) Look forward to driving behind you soon inshallah

[quote=Daggerfall;42387]Thank you. It is not a major problem, just needs cleaning. what makes me upset was the timing. This is how you get experience :) How is your car?[/quote]

Yeah, I understand what you mean....but it's better in the beginning than in the middle :x_x: my car is ok - little plastic bumper dent and i'm going next weekend inshallah to get the rim checked at Trading Enterprises because there's a bit of noise coming from it.
Duli

[quote=strawb;42390]Hi guys ..... its nice to see your trip reports

See you guys soon[/quote]

Hey [MENTION=1864]strawb[/MENTION],
Hope your car is ok and ready for action :)... We missed you this week :(
Looking forward to driving with you and [MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION] in this area once again.... So we keep it this week?? :shy: Feel the Heat 2

Our compressors are still kept on standby:Psmiley: