Emirates Desert Championship Round 3

alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hi everyone

I am still tired from the weekend but I am opening the thread for you to start your trip report and later on I'm coming back to write my full version.

Cheers
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
bijubs

late risen sun ... by the time arrived at night camp saw the fire pitch almosters around it .. the feel of cold can find everyone face.. and a special tea water boiling at camp..

Auto 3 - Satisfaction on a professional Rally Marshals job this time, at a perfect supervision of @Rashid we handled our responsibility neatly .. first of all a fine drive through racing track to reach Auto 3 was given a idea how the competitors are driving .. even though very less competitor we enjoyed the event ..

The afternoon drive : Just in one word , than you almost to teach more and more to handle the sand with a machine ... the Second lead first time in Almost .. it was amazing task behind [MENTION=44]alshamsi[/MENTION] some how mange to do it .. hope the rest all behind is satisfied with second lead.. ( comments required to correct myself plz )

The prime and foremost appreciate the @Mrs.Agalon drive with her 5 year old ... excellent adventure sprit .. appreciated..the family..

altogether the 12 hrs with almost yesterday was worth to lean more .. hope to lean more and more from this club...
Defragmantor
Intermediate
Intermediate

Good morning people
after enjoying the beautiful campsite (which I didn't sleep for even a minute in ) we began driving towards the briefing area were we were briefed first by @Al_Shamsi then by the chief marshall for that event Mr Andrew . We then began our drive for the points we were supposed to be stationed at . Rally started at 9 am . The rally had bikes going out first and then the cars would follow . The rally was really cool and amazing .As @Al_Shamsi told us the organizers were very satisfied with everyone and we had done the job 100% .
We were the. Reminded of the complimentary drive in the afternoon from Al Faqaa fuel pump . In my head there was a decision to make wether to pack up and leave for home or to Stay for this drive . Prior to this when we were being de breifed @Al_Shamsi asked me was I there last week for this drive . Very unexpected question and I wondered why was this questioned jus to me . I found the answer 10 min in the drive ! Baja rally style driving fast paced ! This drive has to be one of the best drives of the year . [MENTION=8420]Vishal[/MENTION] feel sorry for you that you missed it . There were a lot of unexpected drops however The Avenger had no issues tackling them :D the adrenaline level really jumped up in this drive . Wonder how @Al_shamsi knows that I like this style of driving :p . Very few stucks and no pop outs
all in all everyone was smiles after the drive and made it home safe and sound . Good job EMSF marshals with ur driving and skills and Thank you almost 4x4 Marshall's for the amazing complimentary drive ! We want more of these complimentary drives :D .
matts
Intermediate
Intermediate

Good Afternoon Almosters!

This was my first outing with you guys, firstly thank you to everyone for making me welcome and most of all to Al Shamsi for taking out on the second part of the trip, boy do I have a lot to learn.

After the introductions and the briefing from Al Shamsi and then Andrew we headed out onto the Auto course. I followed along in the convoy trying to keep an eye on the cars ahead of me and how fast they were approaching and crossing the obstacles accordingly and then we approached a slope which people were slowing for then taking a run at which looked pretty soft. Just at that point Al Shamsi called out on the radio, Matt! stop at checkpoint 1 the course is too tricky for beginners! Too late, I'm already past check point one! Lucky I had already bought a radio! So i pulled out of the convoy and Hockey very generously came out to guide me back, no drama.

The auto course was fairly quiet with only 11 cars starting and by the end only 6 finishing. One piece of feedback for the EDC guys would be that auto sounds a lot like moto over the radio so it would be clearer if they used bike instead of moto as there were a couple of points where we weren't sure who control was asking for. We had a good time on auto 1 no dramas, hockey rescued a couple of random guys who had come to spectate and got stuck on the crest of a dune in-between the two courses.

The afternoon drive as Al-Shamsi's passenger was awesome, again a big thanks there for letting me come along. His knowledge and passion for the club were evident from the off. He picked the route to challenge the guys following us with quite a lot of direct cresting and straight lines at a fast pace. Everybody drove really well with only a couple of sticks and a beautiful sunset to top it all off. At the end Abu Jimmy checked my gear so I've only got a couple of bits to pick and ill be ready for the next CM drive.

Big thanks to everybody, see you all again soon!
orlantsev
Advance
Advance

Hello,

much has been already said about the events of the last few days!

I could not join the camp as I got a bit sick during the week with some cold, and I thought that chilly night would not help my recovery! However, I made it to the Rally and the complimentary drive.

I should say that this time the Rally was better organized then the one few weeks ago. There was proper briefing, radio had proper coverage (although not properly set up to the right frequency in case of some).

Similar to the last event I was in Rashid's group and we were in Auto 3 point. While some rally drivers really showed some great skill, there was one in a buggy who was the subject of our jokes. When the rest were doing their 6th and 7th lap he was still in his number 3. I reckon some of my elderly relatives who use wheelchair can possibly cruise at higher speeds. We were even guessing if he made any picnic stops along the way. Anyway without too much going on at our spot he really made our day.

The complimentary drive was great from the start for the reason that we did not have to fight to register for it! It was new area for me. We did a lot of straight crests and the pace was very good.

I think Marshalls always ask for improvement suggestions from the trip reports, but most of the time it all goes like 'we met, and went there and there, and than few got stuck...but it was all great' and I am not the exception to this style of narrative.

So now I have an observation. I was at the end of the convoy and I knew Aby Jimmy was the sweep car just two cars behind me. However, during the drive he kept on popping out at different places - sometimes to my right, sometimes to the left, like he descended straight from the sky.

Surely Marshalls see the entire convoy and note all mistakes we do. I am confident that it has been considered before, and maybe even tried, but would it be possible to do a short de-brief after the trip or during the break time to highlight the mistakes of each of us.

Personally I know where I could have done better this time e.g not waiting for Iskander's 'clear' message before proceeding to the drop and coming unnecessarily too close to him, higher speed than necessary on one of the drops which my FJ could feel well with its bumper when it met the flat ground and so on...however, I am sure I have done more errors than these, but possibly do not even realize it.

Happy to hear Marshalls' view on this.

Thanks to all and wishing everybody great week ahead!
Solmaz
Marshal
Marshal

Such an exciting day it was!!! We woke up before the sun and drove to the meeting point which we learned that was also the camp location after Agalon parked over the ashes of campfire. Thanks @MOMO for notifying us just in time :) At the same point i had my first stuck of the day, thanks @Hockey for the help and the trick, lesson learnt:blank:

This was our second EDC marshaling. At the briefing Al Shamsi told us that we were specially requested by Marina (who we met at the EDC Round 2) to her checkpoint MOTO3 so we were separated from the rest of our fellow Almosters. MOTO track was crazy busy from the start to the end. I hardly had time to take an occasional sip from my drink. Just before the race began, Agalon was asked to make a rescue which turned out to be a first timer with a fully loaded F150 so he had a whole different adventure which he may share in his own report :) For my luck Duru was in a good mood and played nicely around us so i was able to do my duty. We had plenty of take overs to report, lots of airtime to watch, few small accidents and a broken down buggy. After the race, Marina, Agalon and i collected the signs from the MOTO track so i had a chance to actually experience it myself and it wasn't easy!!

After the EDC, we met at the Al Faqaa ADNOC with Almosters for marshals special drive. Shamsi was the lead, i was the third car. The terrain was new for me, a mixture of small and medium dunes with steep crests. We had lots of cresting, side cresting, nice long arcs and some rally style driving. At one point i was driving over 80kmph in a dust cloud trying to see a glimpse of the car in front or a clue of an obstacle and IT WAS FUN :) I had my second stuck of the day at the top of a crest, @Hockey rescued me one more time. In the end it was one of the most exciting drives I've ever had and maybe the most educational one. Thanks to Al Shamsi and Abu Jimmy for the opportunity, thanks to all members for their understanding when my 'getting ready' time took a bit more than usual, specially thanks to @bijubs for his kind words and support through all drive, finally thanks to my little girl for being so comfortable in the desert and allowing me do what i love.
Agalon
Marshal
Marshal

Hi everybody,

Unfortunately, i don't have much to tell about the rally as i had a totally different experience during the event :). In short, when you attend to rescue somebody don't miss the first rule, asses the situation... take your time... understand the condition of the stuck driver. If you do this, you will be happy, the victim will be happy and life will go ordinary in a short time... Lesson learnt through the hard way... Anyway i collected the track posts in fast pace at the end of the rally at least to be of use to the organisation somehow :p

The scenery around was so beautiful all along the drive. We caught a nice pace, there were a couple of small stucks here and there which were handled fast. As the black sheep with no flag i was the last car with [MENTION=9008]orlantsev[/MENTION] in the front. It was nice to have you in company for the small chats during stops [MENTION=9008]orlantsev[/MENTION].

I had the chance to try my new suspensions. As [MENTION=1531]Abu Jimmy[/MENTION] pointed it was a totally new car. I am very happy with the feel. There are a couple of things to do which we discussed with [MENTION=1531]Abu Jimmy[/MENTION]. Will be taken care of.

When i arrived home, i was tired like hell, with some (or many) aching parts in my body due to the shovel work done earlier. But happy for the sand loaded Friday.

See you all next time...
AGALON
/ Wrangler JK'18
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

[CENTER]Afternoon complementary drive pictures
[IMG]http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/attachment. ... 2209&stc=1[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/attachment. ... 2210&stc=1[/IMG][/CENTER]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

[video=youtube;92ib3id7OtA][/video]

I announced the video cook two days ago and I am sorry for the delay, I had to change the audio track and match a new one to avoid copyrights...