Summer Sandsation 3.0

Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

A very early rise today to make the Start point for this Drive at Iftar Bowl! Met Ginger and Sacha at Al Badayer Shops about 5:30am, quick chit chat and deflate before setting off for the meeting point. Just as we were pulling out Armin arrived and we went in mini convoy. Reached Iftar bowl a little after 6am to see Yoghybear and Zorro already there. Aemi and Fida arrived, quick brief and we set off at 6:30, bang on time. Yoghy had briefed that he would lead to beyond Super Bowl and then Intermediates would be given a chance to lead. A good pace, challenging terrain and only a couple of stucks early on for Sacha and myself, we were soon where we needed to be for intermediate leads. Yoghy briefed us, and Sacha went first, heading towards some high dunes to the South. My turn came next, I was a little apprehensive as I had never led before, but after a few minutes I relaxed into it and really enjoyed the experience. I learnt a lot and it gave me a completely different perspective; I will be better next time! Shortly after I started to lead we spotted DL and Salhinai so we stopped and picked them up. Salhinai had missed the Swiss timed start at 6:30 but DL came to the rescue. My lead was over all too soon and then Ginger, Aemi and finally Salhinai all had a turn, and everyone did extremely well. Had a bit of a delay at the end as DL had an awesome stuck which took some time to rescue (thanks for the Karak DL at the end),

All in all a fantastic drive, another level ticked off, my first lead, and I am very pleased to say that the Green Giant has a new lease of life now she can breath (catalytic converters were choked) and I had no problem with high climbs today. Looking forward to the next off road adventure already!

Thanks to Yoghybear for organising, Fida (with the entire family!), Armin and DL for sweep and rescue, and the rest of the drivers for your company today. See you in the sand soon.

Route Statistics:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2024[/ATTACH]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ginger
Intermediate
Intermediate

What a fun trip this was. There was the added excitement of navigating to the meeting point in the desert (not on a road), an early start (which meant I woke far too soon and actually arrived early!).

Yoghybear had us briefed and off with Swiss precision-timing, and we headed out from Iftar Bowl, past Super Bowl and taking in the line of dunes running South from there. A great area which I think deserves more time to explore further. We had a mixture of high dunes and small technical ones, and all the time having to deal with extremely soft sand. I was pleased I didn’t struggle as much as I had the week before.
Then, each of us was given the chance to lead the convoy which for me was a first, and to start with I was apprehensive to say the least. Leading a convoy really is a whole new area of off-roading requiring a whole set of new skills to master and practice!

It’s interesting I believe for each of us to look at what draws us to this sport. For some it might be the desert itself, others the mechanics of the cars, others it might be say photography etc. But now I can begin to see the additional skill and understanding that comes from leading a convoy; being able to ‘read’ the dunes and think and react quickly. Of course I’ve been in second lead many times, but it’s completely different to have to make those decisions yourself!

Many thanks to the organisers, and all those that made this a great drive.
Zorro
Advance
Advance

Indeed another Sandsational drive!
As Ginger and Green Giant mentioned, we had a extremely precise 6:30.00 AM start, which also allowed us to drive with the cool weather for some time.
The meeting point was at Iftar Bowl, this meant we could play more on that area and the dunes between Iftar and Sony Ericsson which are almost untouched. The first part of the trip was led by Yoghybear, who choose a tricky route through high dunes toward Super Bowl, plus we were facing the sun, which made it even more challenging is some cases.
Then, it was the intermediate turn to experience something new, and they led almost to the end of the drive...Good job guys, especially as everyone didn't try to show off and made it enjoyable!
The precise start also allowed us to drive more than 40Km! :045:
we had few stucks and second tries, but thats part of the game..

Thank you all,
Raf
fida
Advance
Advance

Fantastic drive with following highlights

1- Unusual meeting point which made it more exciting and different than our usual meeting points. But isn't it a way of teaching navigation art coupled with precise time management ? Yes it is. All of fellow drivers did pass the first test.

2- learning the next phase of desert driving. LEADING A CONVOY, I am sure , my fellow intermediates felt the immediate difference between remaining on marshal's bumpers and staring at virgin dunes to make our own way. A great job done by all. Lead rotation was done with Swiss precision.

3- one last lesson learnt by all as when Youghybear says, " I am serious that I will not wait for anyone , he really means it ". A great strict rule but to everyone's own benefit.

Keep up the hard work guys. We are shortly approaching our peak season and a lot of adventures are waiting for us. Train hard to enjoy all.
Yoghybear
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would like to thanks everyone for the nice morning drive and (in alphabetic order) Armin, Fida and Zorro for the great support.
Thanks also to DL and Salhinai who didn't gave up and catch up with the convoy later on.
Sand was perfect, amazing crests, every one did a good job, all in all a fantastic morning with good people.
Once more a big thanks to all....and stay tuned on Almost4x4 channel.....
salhinai
Advance
Advance

Simply sensational, the drive, the Marshals and the company. I got out there and had just missed the guys. Then met with DL at the meeting point and start driving with him till we found Yoghybear and the team. I am greatful to Yoghy for permitting me to join the convoy. It was my second time to lead but boy it was fun this time. Thanks to all for making this drive as fun and enjoyable as it was. Thanks for Abu Jimmy for looking out for me and for DL for his company.