Hot Sand 2.0

Sridhar

After having driven in the Hot Sand 5+ convoy last week, I set off merrily this morning to Al Badayer shops expecting more or less a similar drive. It was not to be. :ka boom:

After the usual banter with fellow Almosters, we were split into 3 convoys : Intermediate, 5+ and 5-. Felt sorry for Singh and few other drivers who missed out on the drive due to technical issues with their cars; hope to see you guys back next time. Our team of 5+ newbies assembled for a briefing by Strawb and Yoghybear. Strawb’s message was short and clear :redbullsmiley: – expect fast pace, big dunes, side cresting, challenging terrain – expect next level drive. We all nodded and set off (like rabbits :innocent: in the night towards headlights ) with Strawb in the lead and Yoghybear at the rear. I was at position 6 out of 10 newbie drivers.

Today’s drive was atleast twice as challenging as compared to last week’s (Hot sand x 2.0) and nearly twice as hot – Organizers name it very aptly indeed .:fox: :045:After having driven a few times in the area in recent months, it seemed today as if someone had re-arranged the dunes overnight to make it difficult for us :devilish:. Plenty of side sloping and side cresting, very sharp ascents and balancing and driving on top of multiple dunes, big dunes, sudden drops, mix of hard and soft sand and so on and so forth that I struggle to find words to describe the technical nature of drive.

It was a totally new learning experience; it felt as if we were given to read one page of the book at a time in previous weeks and today suddenly, marshals gave us the whole book to read. I know there are several more volumes of books to read in the journey ahead; but gosh, what a jump today.

We had to stop frequently as some of us struggled to cope up with the new challenges that we were presented with; my share being a stuck on top of a crest as I couldn’t build up enough momentum when getting out of a bowl (thanks Yoghybear and Zorro for pulling me out) and a couple of second attempts and getting lost once. Other than these, I was lucky not to have any other issues, but the invaluable lessons and learnings that I take away from today’s drives are immense. At one of the bigger dunes, we saw the intermediates’ convoy coming in from the opposite direction and gave way to our seniors. Shortly afterwards, Yoghybear stopped the convoy and sternly reiterated not to fight gravity . Considering the slow progress, Marshals decided to abort the trip to Iftar bowl and instead we drove in an easy route past “Area 53” (thanks Strawb for letting us know that the name comes from a military camp 53 in the vicinity) and arrived at Badayer at quarter past eleven.

It was an extraordinary experience for me today in being able to drive in such a challenging terrain, and learn new things, for which I am grateful to Strawb, Yoghybear, fellow drivers, organizers and founders. Thanks ALMOST 4x4 again for double the fun in hot sand and sun. :applouse:

Awaiting trip reports from colleagues and MOMO selfies (great effort MOMO, can’t wait to see your photos and videos).
Have a nice and long weekend.

Cheers,
Muhittin

Hi

i would like to thank everyone for today nice trip.

special thanks to strawb and Yoghy, who were patient and helpful during this drive.

here are some photos:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... a9ff352ac0

what we need to focus on is:

the marshals are out side your car, they can identify the problem and the right solution. (Outside the box)

when the marshals told us to steer left or right, thus it is OUR left and right.

when the marshals told you "floor it": this means to press your foot on the accelerator paddle till no more space or can't go further.

No need here to mention "fight the gravity" because 5+ already aware about it.

all the information we are gaining are priceless.

thanks founders, marshals, and all levels of the club.

http://youtu.be/6kjgCmXUW2g

[video=youtube_share;6kjgCmXUW2g][/video]
Agalon
Marshal
Marshal

It was the first time i tried my Wrangler in an almost drive and it went better than i expected considering the suspension condition.

A nice drive started and finished successfully. Some stuck and suffers here and there which caused some delay on the program (the stats show approximately 50% of the drive we stopped) so we missed the iftar bowl this time.

Thanks strawb for the lead, it is always a pleasure to drive behind you. Thanks Yoghy for the assistance, effort and patience :)

Here is the record and stats for the +5 convoy drive...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1961[/ATTACH]

Start time: 05/23/2014 08:51
Finish time: 05/23/2014 11:14
Distance: 24.6 km (01:15)
Moving time: 01:05
Average speed: 19.5 km/h
Avg. Speed Mov.: 22.7 km/h
Max. Speed: 51.7 km/h
Minimum altitude: 178 m
Maximum altitude: 222 m
Ascent speed: 477.9 m/h
Descent speed: -598.3 m/h
Elevation gain: 217 m
Elevation loss: -192 m
Ascent time: 00:27
Descent time: 00:19

See you all next time almosters...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AGALON
/ Wrangler JK'18
orlantsev
Advance
Advance

Having read the reports I feel even worse that I missed the drive owing to my own laziness in bed after long flight on Monday morning. Well done!
Just Joseph

Hot Sands 2.0 (5- Report) with alshamsi_m as Lead Marshal and Abu Jimmy as Sweeper. What a great combination! it was a pleasant yet educational drive, getting prepared for 5+.

And here are my lessons learned.
A couple of things was stuck on my head before the drive. Speed and Momentum this was mentioned very early on the briefing. Paying attention to these two factors enabled me to follow the lead car and made it more practical to maintain the 15-20M distance (I learned from previous drives and I was able to apply it better, well I think ).:Psmiley:

The safe distance enabled me to copy the lead and respond to situation safely. On this drive (being the 2nd car), I noticed that I was conscious of the cars behind me (at most 2 cars), that instinct was somewhat there.

Finally, the demonstration on how to cross basic bowl-type landscape was a an exciting experience and would require a lot of practice to gain that confidence.

There were few members who missed the drive due to some car failure but they were well accommodated by the Marshals.

Happy reads, Cheers! :grin:
KIMOz
Crew
Crew

First of all, I would like to give my all thanks to Marshals Strawb and Yoghy for the effort they spent in today's drive (5+) especially in that hot weather.

Today the drive was somehow different as Strawb mentioned in the beginning which is having a level at the boundary between the 5+ and 10+, thus we had a great experience.

I did a mistake which is having a sharp turn while speeding that leads to have my first pop out
:011:, but honestly I was very happy while rectifying back the tire using my own tools and the help of the decent colleagues :060:.

Over all, the Sand was some how challenging, and my H3 made it :027:.

See you Almosters in sand soon :D
Cheers,
Muhittin

[quote=KIMOz;36037]First of all, I would like to give my all thanks to Marshals Strawb and Yoghy for the effort they spent in today
Cheers,[/quote]

The temperature was a bit high, but the climate was nice in the desert, and there was a gentle wing enough to cool the weather down.:like:
SINGH
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well.....My report of the trip is a bit different..... First of all, due to my weird working schedule (shift pattern), most of the time I won’t be able to join the drives and I got todays chance to drive with our almost family after 23rd March….phew… after long time.
Reached the Badyer shops at 0800 and when parked my Goldy, i smelt some burning smell is coming from somewhere... :brains...!:...nothing found under the hood, bent a bit and found some oil is fuming near the transmission.. :omg:....ok got it, some leak is there. No second thoughts, headed straight to the great master of Cherokee.....Abu Jimmy! and requested him to take a look, as he's the best person to decide on it, that whether i should take goldy on this drive or leave it.....and with his best opinion, Cherokee was declared unfit for today’s drive and got grounded.... :lll._.:.

Than my second question, are we going to end up at the same place after the drive and is there any possibility to accompany me & my cousin....and best answer came back...YES, you can.. :have a nice day:...thanks a lot to Abu Jimmy for taking me with him and to the great Shamsi for taking my cousin with him....thanks a lot for your big-heartedness..... :yaeh am not durnk:

Me & my Cousin were very lucky, bcoz we were sitting with the best off roaders and believe me.....it’s the one of that chance that everyone should get (Take it in a +ve way)....yes}}}...you are holding a big fish for the next 150 mins..... :yarr:......as you learn lots of things when you sit with the marshals and literally you'll find answers to the "N" number of questions/doubts (which we Newbies always have) by just watching / monitoring the way they drive....

Abu Jimmy was sweeping the 5- and Shamsi was leading......i was having a bird eye view of the convoy and learnt how the drivers being analyzed by our marshals and the way they deal different situation with calm & cool attitude....which we newbies always not have when we are behind the wheels....that's what the experience is.

Although the whole drive, sitting next to Abu Jimmy, was full of learning things....but the best part which i loved was when i discussed with him about cresting the sharp edged (really sharp) dunes, which we do normally on drives with the club, but that is when you are following the car in front and get an idea from it about the approach & exit.....but the trick is when u don't have that luxury and when you have to make your own way around........... The real fun started now .:yo !:...thx a lot again to Abu Jimmy to give the best demo again & again both by doing it practically and explaining the theoretical part as well..:cheerful:.... for sure the reflection of this learning experience will be there on my next drives.

On the whole it was a good drive, yes with the -5 we can expect some stoppages, but what I would like to say to all the drivers is that, it’s a learning curve and driving with Almost 4x4 club, this curve will move in one direction…. i.e UP & only UP……

You all did well, as its not that easy to drive in this hot weather when the sand gets too soft….

So keep learning & keep growing.

Cheers
margarita

friday morning we recieved a flyer
to be part of snake who lives in al badayer
although i miss night desert camp fire
passion drive will never get in tire
nicely moved right left dune almost 4x4 empire
disconnected the required traction wire
everybody with the perfect PSI in tyre
our marshals bird's view eye admire
snake convoy arrived 11 sharp body entire
waiting for the next trip in the full inspire !
Arminjune
Advance
Advance

For intermediate and Advance:

Woke up in the morning my heart beats for Driving
Packed my stuff and next thing I see I'm leaving
got to Badayer and sow Roberto Screaming (Arming)
couldn't control my self so I went for a bit of bashing
While Deflating I heard the marshels Briefing.
They divided us in three, intermediate with Khateebing
Thanks to Khateeb he's never disappointing
Showed us new ways not to be disappointing
We stopped few times for rest I noticed i lost my bling bling
we had few second tries but no one was cresting
when we returned I found my ka ching ching
it was good to see other groups while they were smiling
(skip the next line if your sensetive)
some where missing so must have gone peeing
We kept socializing till we noticed we are heating
Thanks to Margarita I can't stop riming
Cant go wrong in these trips special when your Jeeping