Catch Me If You Can XI

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=surf;34957]Not sure wht i missed reading ? The total number of cars allowed is 20 and I was 14 ? Been driving with d club since 2010 and non other ..even though I'm not very active ! Wonderin again .. Wht did I miss reading ?

Silvester hey u forgot me lol

Anyways no sweat ! Hve fun .. I'll go diving my re breather instead :)[/quote]
To avoid unnecessary registrations at this trip, following are the names of the invited drivers for this trip.
Bambam, Braveheart, Drifter, Dave, FrancisJK, Ginger, Green Giant, Yasir, Mike, Noumank, Oxana, RedShark, Refad, Sacha

This is from the Trip annoucement...
surf

Silvester thanks :)

I didn't realise it was an open close thread already even though registration Is still open ! Thought names get added on like hw yu usta do it ! Anyways it's no big deal :)
surf

Thanks Silvester !

I didn't realise this was already an open close already decided event even though the registration is still open ! thought ppl who were selected were later added to the names and registration would close like how it was done before ! But as it was still open i registered ? Anyways like I said earlier no big deal :) u guys hve fun
salhinai
Advance
Advance

Dear Admin/Marsh,
Please add my name for some reason I can't do it from here.
salhinai
FJ

Thanks
Yoghybear
Golden Member
Golden Member

POST #1
This training desert drive is dedicated to Newbies+, who were identified by the Club as potential candidates for upgrade to Intermediate level. To avoid unnecessary registrations at this trip, following are the names of the invited drivers for this trip.

Bambam, Braveheart, Drifter, Dave, FrancisJK, Ginger, Green Giant, Yasir, Mike, Noumank, Oxana, RedShark, Refad, Sacha

POST #2
Dear All,
kindly note that this trip is dedicated to selected people therefore only invited drivers can register.
Please avoid unnecessary registrations, thanks and see you in the sand

Thanks a lot for the attention.......
Dave
Advance
Advance

[quote=caprihorse;34954]Dave, you can bring your eggs, but don't think about 4L during the drive. Nissan requires to maintain momentum with speed...
This is my sarcastic way to express my opinion, how to improve skills :yarr:[/quote]

Thanks for the advice Caprihorse. Completely agree about maintaining momentum. Have only used 4L (3rd gear) twice on an Almost4x4 trip. For the 10 minute duration of the recent egg basket run and a while ago on a section of the Tech 1 trip where the dunes were very sharp and close together. Both times any extra speed tested out the strength of my weakening skid plate! 1st gear on 4H was too short and 2nd gear too long. On both occasions I felt choosing one gear that worked and sticking with it gave my clutch less of a work out.

If it is Yoghybear leading the "catch me if you can" drive I fully promise 4L will be untouched. I fear it will mainly be 3rd gear high ratio covering +50km/hr. I believe his Dodge Ram is still awaiting parts so maybe he will be more gentle in Zorro's Wrangler.....!
Yoghybear
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Dave;34967]......
If it is Yoghybear leading the "catch me if you can" drive I fully promise 4L will be untouched. I fear it will mainly be 3rd gear high ratio covering +50km/hr. I believe his Dodge Ram is still awaiting parts so maybe he will be more gentle in Zorro's Wrangler.....![/quote]

Sorry Dave, :011:
all the parts have arrived and fixed on Tornado and Zorro is already doing the break-in of the new rear racing differential.......
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Dave;34967]Thanks for the advice Caprihorse. Completely agree about maintaining momentum. Have only used 4L (3rd gear) twice on an Almost4x4 trip. For the 10 minute duration of the recent egg basket run and a while ago on a section of the Tech 1 trip where the dunes were very sharp and close together. Both times any extra speed tested out the strength of my weakening skid plate! 1st gear on 4H was too short and 2nd gear too long. On both occasions I felt choosing one gear that worked and sticking with it gave my clutch less of a work out.
[/quote]
Yes, I noticed your comment on the trip report and this brought my attention.
"... 2nd gear too long" - this is actually a huge advantage, as you can play just with throttle to maintain the speed up to 60km/h and adjust it without need to switch the gear and have the right momentum at the right place. Mainly you see that always you can have "spare" rpms all the time, to use it, when you'll get caught by terrain surprise.
4H 2nd gear is comparable with 4L 3rd in ratio, but 2nd is longer. Once in 4L and you need to switch from 3rd to 2nd gear, your speed is gone and in the best case (if you can) you need to return, stop the car, regear to 4H and try it again. In many situations, you'll not have this luxury option...
You will have the option to test your gears at Al Fayah and to see how much up you can go with 4L-3 or 4H-2. Watch the temperature...
Dave
Advance
Advance

A very valid point Caprihorse having ''spare'' RPM left over when negotiating a route through the dunes. Not a fan of bouncing off the rev limiter and as you rightly said 4L reduces the range available in each gear. I have driven the Al Fayah dunes many times and their size and texture favours having momentum and as summer heat sets in the less the engine RPM is close to its limit the better. It will be 4H all morning long.

Wishful thinking I will get an opportunity to compare 4H-2 with 4L-3 this weekend as I see Yoghy will have his beast up and running! I don't want to be stuck in 4L behind his V8. Maybe after the event I will have a play and compare the speed ranges.

Just one more question. This area we are driving through is called Capriland. Why is that? Your favourite play area maybe? Sorry you cannot join us but at least Oxana is taking your Pathfinder out there for a drive! I am sure she will keep it in 4H!!

Thanks again for the advice.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Dave;34978]A very valid point Caprihorse having ''spare'' RPM left over when negotiating a route through the dunes. Not a fan of bouncing off the rev limiter and as you rightly said 4L reduces the range available in each gear. I have driven the Al Fayah dunes many times and their size and texture favours having momentum and as summer heat sets in the less the engine RPM is close to its limit the better. It will be 4H all morning long.

Wishful thinking I will get an opportunity to compare 4H-2 with 4L-3 this weekend as I see Yoghy will have his beast up and running! I don't want to be stuck in 4L behind his V8. Maybe after the event I will have a play and compare the speed ranges.

Just one more question. This area we are driving through is called Capriland. Why is that? Your favourite play area maybe? Sorry you cannot join us but at least Oxana is taking your Pathfinder out there for a drive! I am sure she will keep it in 4H!!

Thanks again for the advice.[/quote]
Thanks.
Capriland is the area, where I learned driving, before joining Almost4x4. I used to drive there every Friday, so I know it like my kitchen. It has amazing dunes, not much driven and we identified there few test places, where we are teasing newbies, until they make it right, mainly those whose ego is a bit higher as it should be.
As we introduced the trip Catch Me If You Can (now we have number 11 in this area), so it was somehow renamed to Capriland.

[IMG]http://www.drivingindubai.com/various/capriland.jpg[/IMG]