Fun Drive Reload

Sridhar

Loads of fun; fun it was indeed.

Many thanks to the Organizers and Marshals for kindly accommodating us rookies in trip meant for biggies.

Today’s congregation point was ADNOC petrol station in UAQ, where 40+ Almosters descended with the usual enthusiasm from 0730 onwards. A little after 0830, we proceeded to the start location. Bu Salem and Abu Jimmy’s gave the briefing, main points being convoy discipline, that the route would be long (about 80 km) and that most of it would be hard track rather than dunes. -5 newbies lined up behind Bu Salem, who led today’s convoy. I started as the 3rd car and ended up being the 5th.

I shall await posts from the senior members on the technical stuff, but for me, the main highlights of today’s drive were:
  1. Marshals managed a very big convoy (total 42 cars if I am not mistaken) in a fantastic manner and that too, on such a long drive. Along with the marshals, efforts of intermediate / advanced drivers who were on rescue duty today were really admirable. Our group of seven cars were being attended to by Hockey and Arminjune who toiled like busy bees to keep our part of convoy moving. Thanks guys.
  2. Strawb’s briefing on my first ever drive as a CM to the effect “apply brake only after the CG of the car passes over the crest (after the driver’s seat crosses crest)”; really helped me today and made my drive easy, and I managed without getting stuck on crests.
  3. Had good practice in today’s drive on using the engine braking more than foot pedal during descent.
  4. Had great fun driving on fast tracks, especially in the afternoon where we clocked close to 100 Km/hr. at times.
  5. Biggest and the most funniest moment for me today was the undisputed 4x4 donkey, who suddenly appeared out of nowhere; led the convoy for about 2 km with perfect track sense; and then disappeared modestly. I was one of the few lucky ones to have witnessed the entertaining pranks of the 4x4 donkey firsthand, and those in the rear of the convoy who missed the spectacle would have heard Bu Salem announce hilariously on the radio. That reminded me once again of the wise men’s oft repeated words “drivers skills matter much more than the car and modifications to it”.
  6. Newbies -5, myself included, were offloaded at around 1500 hrs. on Maleha road after we passed the fossil rock and the 5+ group set off into deeper desert for more serious stuff.
Once again, a big thanks to Bu Salem, Al Khatib, Abu Jimmy (special thanks for taking us along), Zico, Rashidjass, Hockey, Bombays, OffroadRon (apologies if I missed out anyone inadvertently) and all the fellow drivers for the long and the fully loaded fun drive.

Cheers,
Muhittin

Thanks for every one, it was a great trip :-)
Arun Pandyat

First of all thanks for Marshalls for allowing the 5- Newbies in, where the trip is meant for 5+ Newbies.

Today we drove almost 80 kilometers in the desert and it was my first long drive in the desert. As mentioned by Sridhar today there was no big dunes and mainly for focusing the convoy driving till the 5- Newbies is sent home back at Maleha road. We don’t know what was the rest heading, must be more technical and that should be the reason for sending 5- Newbies back. Waiting to see the trip reports from 5+ Newbies. Today lots of ditches’ and flat tracks were there. Today I was not able to cop up with the speed in some areas and in between I lost the convoy and Hocky bring us back in the convoy.

Today I witnessed an amazing rescue (or I don’t know what to say) of Vimal (black pathfinder). Arminjune and Zico (sorry gentleman if I misaddressed you) were standing over foot rail while Vimal was trying to get out of the position. They were giving enough movement to the vehicle (I am not expert and that was my observation.. please correct me if am wrong)and it worked well and he came out of it without any snatch rope.

Today’s drive brings me more confidence and lesson to stay in the convoy.

Once again thanks to Marshalls for letting us in and to all the fellow members for making the trip successful.
Dave
Advance
Advance

As I pulled out after lunch due work commitments tonight I can only give a brief report on today. We had a 7.30am report at the edge of Umm Al Quawain. Just after 8am we had around 40 Almost4x4 cars gathered at the gas station. A little confusion over deflating followed by some "re inflating" and we set off another 10km up the road to the official start point where by 9am we had the safety brief started.

I was was a little surprised to see we would be travelling as one convoy considering the wide range of experience and number of cars today. However, as this section of track was used for the 2014 Gulf News fun drive I expected the terrain to be fairly easy to cover and maybe that's what the Marshals were thinking also. The track proved to be unchallenging 95% of the time. The real problem was convoy discipline. Too many cars not giving the car in front enough space so one "stuck" caused more from behind. Because of this the convoy pace was frustratingly slow. Al Shamsi and Abu Jimmy stopped the convoy to re brief everyone. Still, progress was slow through out considering the gentle nature of the track.

After 3 hours of start stop driving we came across a mini forest in the desert. A perfect place to break for lunch. I have to say each emirate has its own features from high dunes to rocky wadis. Umm Al Quawain has it's forests! Lots of them. Great shade for all away from the midday sun. Any frustration I had washed away under the trees with my coke and sandwich. Very relaxing indeed.

I broke away from the convoy shorty afterwards as I needed to start heading towards home. It was great to see everyone. Faces new and old. Summer heat setting in now so I imagine there will be less full day drives on the calendar as we approach the hotter months. Shame I had to miss the bigger dunes of Sharjah but I would like to thank all involved for showing me more of the Northern Emirates.
Dave
Advance
Advance

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1839[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1840[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1841[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1842[/ATTACH]
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

Short report from me also today as I had to pull out just as we crossed the 102 due to having to get back to work, so I missed the proper Dunes in the latter part en route to Al Badayer. Al Shamsi briefed that although a long drive was the order of the day a lot would be on tracks, but that the terrain was interesting with lots of nature and vegetation. This was true, and although the pace was slow to start with as the Newbies -5 started to understand why we have convoy discipline, especially distance between the cars, we travelled about 45km by lunch break. As Daves pictures show, the 'forest' area gave us welcome shade as the thermometer was showing 40 plus!

A few points from me, for the less experienced Newbies:

1. Keep your Distance from the car in front - already discussed in other threads
2. If you get into trouble, identify yourself on the radio and state what your intentions are - i.e. "This Is Green Giant, doing a second round", or whatever message suits the situation.
3. When in trouble and you have to reverse, always go downhill, not across it, and make sure you look behind. I saw a few near misses from my position in the convoy.
4. Don't brake going uphill!! You will lose valuable momentum and probably get crested, even on very small dunes.
5. If you are scared of breaking your car, buy a cheaper one for the desert!
6. Don't use the radio for chit chat - A lot of that was going on yesterday.

We all learn something at every outing with Almost 4x4, I certainly do, and it is easy to get frustrated with others who are just starting out. Just remember back when you were fresh in the desert! I hope you guys that completed the day had a great time, especially the newer members, I look forward to seeing you all in the sand next time.
Vishal

well yesterdays drive was a pretty amazing and good one !
less of dunes but still was pretty fun, long, and tirying !
learned how to maintain a convoy !
thankfully no stucks for me !
margarita

I had a fabulous camp and day with amazing people. Flying over the dunes with Bu Salem was a mind crush! I got a feeling that what was looking for through years I met yesterday with almost 4x4. Looking forward meeting again and drive my spider -tank.
Sincere thanks Bu Salem for this chance. Thanks jeep drivers with your advice for my car
Agalon
Marshal
Marshal

At the beginning, i was thinking that we'll split into 2 convoys, but guess what? No... an extreme convoy of 30+ cars (sorry i don't remember the exact number). The first part was on tracks so it was not a demanding drive technically but a good exercise on convoy discipline. The effect of stucks were bigger on this extremely long convoy in all manners like gathering back, the pace etc. No matter how easy the track is, what we are doing is serious, needs concentration and efford and this drive was a really good example on that.

Let's get to the fun part. Sorry for the -5 group and others who had to leave on the point but the real fun started in the 2nd part. I was the 3rd car after Bu Salem and Rashidjass. First thing i saw was megatron with left wheels on air at the first dune pass and that gave me a goosebump. After i pass, i saw a tree in front of me and another goosebump, thankfully i managed to escape from it. The pace was amazing, it was like a shock therapy after a long easy track drive. My personal lesson was here in the 2nd phase to show me how important it is to keep the proper distance in specific conditions. If necessary wait a bit more before climbing a steep slope. 1 second, release your foot slightly from the pedal, and you are done. For the second turns, no need for hurry, take enough distance for you to take momentum again. Otherwise, you will loose double more time with the 3rd trial :))

After sometime, Bu Salem left the lead to Al Khatib. Some flat area and a short break for karak, we headed to Badayer with a fast pace and lots of excitement. There were too many safari tours around which sometimes slowed or stopped us (i don't understand why these guys do not use safety flags). We ended the drive on the top of big red.

Thanks to everybody for the wonderful day. See you all in sand soon...
AGALON
/ Wrangler JK'18
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you Marshals/Leader and Rescue,

This was very nice and fun drive. It was for me a first challenge to drive with 10psi with the stock 17" FJ Cruiser wheels and tires, we reached 100km/h speed at certain track sections where the ground was hard and the adrenaline was increasing. Yes, I was afraid of pop-outs.:yaeh am not durnk:

Stating the problems encountered during each trip is valuable therefore I would like to bring the attention of Newbies -5 to always check in the mirror the car behind you if visible or not and report it to the leader who can adjust his speed, otherwise everyone is speeding and increasing gap between cars and in result losing the track. Keep in mind that:

In smooth ride: we have to keep a safety distance of 20 to 30m between cars
In challenging terrain: Safety distance could vary from 25 to hundreds of meters
On fast track: we keep enough distance to avoid dust and flying rocks from the car tires in front of us. Not more. (Lights ON if it is dusty to see the car behind)
In all stated situations above you are able to see the car behind you, following you. If not, please report it to the leader.

@Abu Salem: the new flag that you given to me got torn I let you see the picture below and you will imagine the scene.:grin:

Cheers,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1843[/ATTACH]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.