The 4th Day

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=sami;28300]I really respect you being up-front about it. I am just raising what I think is an issue being faced by newbies. Hope the marshals can provide some tips and guidance on how to deal with suffering safely may it be from slippery tyres or even wrong gear selection (a problem i faced when I first switched from auto to manual gear around a year ago). I think the addition of informing the convoy over radio that you need to reverse might be sufficient as it will give the cars behind fair warning. This of course has to be coupled with all members of the convoy knowing who is two or even three cars in front of them.

Upon thinking about the issue i remembered that there are different system for different levels. The system for this in CM drives was stop and wait for marshal supervision even in minor stucks that can be self recovered if i remember the instructions correctly. I also remember from somewhere that there is a be overtaken and join back of the convoy type system (not sure where i read or heard this i think CMIYC). So i guess my question is do we keep to the CM type system or is there a middle ground at newbie or newbie+ level? I dunno maybe I am making a big deal out of a small issue.
Suffering is simply an inevitable side effect of learning how to drive in sands. I think it can be taken as a sign that one is challenging themselves and learning something and is not a bad thing, but care needs to be given that it is done with a calm and level head so as not to end up in risky situations.
Still again I have to say great drive really enjoyed it looking forward to the next one.[/quote]

I like your analysis, it is an added value for sure.

In general in any convoy, there is not allowed any overtaking. The cars behind suffering car should stop and wait until the driver passes the critical section. It is always mandatory for the suffering driver to announce to the others behind him "Nickname Clear", not just release his breath, so others can safely pass, if they don't see moving flag. The sweeping marshal might not know about the situation, if it is not announced by the driver doing additional round. Such an announcement is not an embarrassment, but a safety measure/action.
With increasing driving experience the drivers are able to recognize if the car in front of them can make it or not, based on his speed, momentum and track conditions. So it is always advisable to carefully watch the cars in front of your car and not only the bumper of the nearest car, to see how you need to adjust own driving, to make it and not repeat the same behavior of predecessor.

On certain trips (CMIYC) we announce the rules of convoy behavior in the briefing and they are valid only for the particular trip. This can be done only if we are sure about the skills of the drivers and the convoy is relatively short.
Sandskull
Intermediate
Intermediate

Wonderful Morning, Wonderful people, and Wonderful trip !

A long convoy of 17 cars handled by 3 Marshals only.

Tricky technical + High dunes lead by Hamdan, Fast Safari Style.. "Al Khatib Special" and sweep and support from Faisal (with an Awesome FJ)

Zero Stucks and one pop-out (fixed pretty fast)

Can be no better morning and not a Better start to the weekend.

Thank you Hamdan and Al Khatib for leading such a huge convoy so smoothly:thumbsup:

Thank you Faisal for the support and ensuring the safety of all members:loyal:...Hope to drive with you again !

Thank you all the drivers for this fun morning:have a nice day:

Hope to see you soon in sand again !
sami
Intermediate
Intermediate

[quote=caprihorse;28302]I like your analysis, it is an added value for sure.

In general in any convoy, there is not allowed any overtaking. The cars behind suffering car should stop and wait until the driver passes the critical section. It is always mandatory for the suffering driver to announce to the others behind him "Nickname Clear", not just release his breath, so others can safely pass, if they don't see moving flag. The sweeping marshal might not know about the situation, if it is not announced by the driver doing additional round. Such an announcement is not an embarrassment, but a safety measure/action.
With increasing driving experience the drivers are able to recognize if the car in front of them can make it or not, based on his speed, momentum and track conditions. So it is always advisable to carefully watch the cars in front of your car and not only the bumper of the nearest car, to see how you need to adjust own driving, to make it and not repeat the same behavior of predecessor.

On certain trips (CMIYC) we announce the rules of convoy behavior in the briefing and they are valid only for the particular trip. This can be done only if we are sure about the skills of the drivers and the convoy is relatively short.[/quote]

Thanks chief I hope we newbies can make the most of your comments to increase the safety level on drives even if it is just a small increase.
thibault

Good day all,

Our Marshal had great expectation to drive us to Camel Rock and Maleiha... Unfortunately we did not make because i stop the convoy 3 times...
First part of the drive was very easy and great...
Then when we cross the road the difficulties start and my nightmare also...

My first tankage was after a small sharp dune: i stop in the middle of the dune because i did not have enough speed... instead of reverse with speed to get back on the top of the small sharp dune behind me, i reverse one or two meter and try to make it... but little by little i put myself in a crazy situation. Finally Abu Jimy and Sylvester rescue my car... Thanks guys.
The second time was only 100 meters after the first one... (sorry guys) ... this time i drift on the side in the soft sand due to wrong speed and certainly something else...
And one more time Abu jimy rescue my car...

The third time, was an amazing pop up in the grass! When Sylvester arrived close to me, he laughed and took pictures of the car... I am sure you will see the pics and laughed like us...
Zico's car arrived (with a beautiful driver) to teach me how to repair a pop up...

Thank you all drivers to be patient.
Thank you all marshal and advanced drivers for your help and your advice.

Sylvester, i think i understand well your private drive lesson ...
See you in the sand... and this time i will do my best to not stop the convoy!
Bu-Shahid
Intermediate
Intermediate

[quote=Bu-Shahid;28298]coming soon....looooool editing the videos :thumbsup:[/quote]

I think I need laptop with some more RAM and dedicated graphic card looooooooooooooool, this task takes time :XD:
Bu-Shahid
Intermediate
Intermediate

OK here we go......

Every time I drive with Almost4x4 become more thirst to drive more and more with.....

As useal I was refreshing the web site from time to time waiting the Marshals to announce the new drive, then I saw the chief counting down and the action started 10, 9, 8........2, onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne go go go and in record time the list was full but my place was guarantied :psychotic:

I was afraid that I will not be able to catch the drive as the fog was so bad which made me drive around 60-70 km/h from Al Raha beach to Jabal Ali but things became better when I left Shaikh Zayed road towards Jabal Ali Lehbab road and yes I made it and met with the rest of sand lovers and the sand thirst still in their eyes since last week....they did not have enough :killzonesmiley:.

I was in the mean convoy led by Hamdan, sweeped by Faysal and Al Khaitb was in rescue, it was all in drive....high speed, technical duns, high duns, soft sand, deep sand, tricky duns....you name it, with this considerable large number of drivers (I think 17 in total) and this type of route the drivers did great with some second rounds and one pop out.
Hamdan lead was very interesting and the close out (last 15 min) was led by Al Khatib and when Al Khatib says on the radio " common guys let us have some fun" you just need to be ready for the maximum enjoyable and challenging route with high speed and lots of adrenaline :yarr:...I love that (make sure to see the 4th part)

Many thanks for you Hamdan, Al Khatib and Faisal (nice to meet you friend).
Many thanks for Bu Salem for the nice caps...
many thanks for the rest of the drivers for the great company.
the big thank for the Chief for organizing the trip and for the PM which I just received....:grin:

finally my record of the trip (with such great trip I have to render 4 parts....enjoy it

[video=youtube;ZR80PmGbvLo][/video]

[video=youtube;RDOzrKycdNQ][/video]

[video=youtube;3VLxWeAhTTM][/video]

[video=youtube;RNfARenCeH4][/video]
Iqsaan
Intermediate
Intermediate

Great Videos :thumbsup:
Great Driving :killzonesmiley:

Thanks Bu Shahid .

(My favourite climb was on video4 at the 4:00 mark ... high dune with soft sand and then even softer sand:wtfsmilie:) ...
Code Red

I was on convoy one. Really enjoyed the trip and Lamboo's lead, especially the part right after we crossed the road.

Thanks to all the Marshalls for putting it on.