The Lucky One

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Before every trip we have a briefing, especially when we have fresh new drivers in the sand. We are explaining what to do and what not to do. How to drive, how to pass the dune, where to stop and where not to stop.

Mostly Club Members don't believe us or they don't understand what we are talking about. Probably everybody wants to learn only by his own experience...

[IMG]http://www.drivingindubai.com/various/parking.jpg[/IMG]

Black Points:

Mubz
Sheeraz
MaddieTJ
Mubz

I am really sorry guys at I could not join the trip again because my car was not ready for it :( but INSHALLAH next trip I will be in.

About the picture:

[quote=caprihorse;26924]Before every trip we have a briefing, especially when we have fresh new drivers in the sand. We are explaining what to do and what not to do. How to drive, hot to pass the dune, where to stop and where not to stop.

Mostly Club Members don't believe us or they don't understand what we are talking about. Probably everybody wants to learn only by his own experience...

[IMG]http://www.drivingindubai.com/various/parking.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

This does not look good specially in a trip report........... If I may ?

From what I've learnt so far (which is very little) special thanks to Marshals of Almost4x4 and Thanks to MDG for the lessons.

By the looks of Tracks on the sand it seems that the Almoster did not follow the track and got stuck .......This is the time where you turn right and really slow try to come down.... by following the rule no 1. never fight Gravity....

I hope recovery was safe and sound
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Mubz;26925]I am really sorry guys at I could not join the trip again because my car was not ready for it :( but INSHALLAH next trip I will be in.

About the picture:

This does not look good specially in a trip report........... If I may ?

From what I've learnt so far (which is very little) special thanks to Marshals of Almost4x4 and Thanks to MDG for the lessons.

This is the time where you turn right and really slow try to come down.... by following the rule no 1. never fight Gravity....

I hope recovery was safe and sound[/quote]
Why it does not look good in a Trip Report? Pls explain.

We are explaining the most common situations in the briefing, mainly to Club Members... Are we doing something wrong? We do very much appreciate yours and others opinion.
Defragmantor
Intermediate
Intermediate

I didnt understand when u said fighting gravity once I got stuck I realized what I had done wrong (less momentum while climbing ):D
Mubz

[quote=caprihorse;26926]Why it does not look good in a Trip Report? Pls explain.

We are explaining the most common situations in the briefing, mainly to Club Members... Are we doing something wrong? We do very much appreciate yours and others opinion.[/quote]

I am sorry Chief my words may have come across differently I didn't mean that its wrong to mention common situations or something like that.............. What I saw and felt was that usually start of the trip report is with the summary of what happened during the trip.

We usually have pictures or stuck on a new topic as to what to be done in such situations, and its mostly You who provides with very accurate and v.useful explanation and correction.............. I am in no position to suggest or comment on your writings. and I respect and appreciate everyone's opinion specially yours.

I am sorry If it looks differently here...............:melt:
Arminjune
Advance
Advance

ok, heres my input.

1. Getting stuck is one major part of offroading. We all do, and we all will. and if you never got stuck, don't be too proud. in my book this means disaster about to come.

2. The role of Marshals is to make sure you get the idea of what is going to be going on before you take the track, and giving tips on what to do and what to prevent incase it happens. to minimize risks before situations happen and when situations happen. so it is important to listen no matter how boring it might get to some, it will save you $$$$$$$$$$$$

3. Putting picture for me is part fun, part LEARNING, part ties. :Psmiley: if I'm not wrong I was one of the first to get MDG sticker. I laughed, I got teased, and learned from it.

4. From the pic:
the tiers are aiming up even when its stopped. when stuck its better to have more wight on higher area. by either moving passengers to higher area or having someone stand on higher area on the car.
don't see front toeing point.
don't see Almost sticker.:Psmiley:
its Toyota!!! :Psmiley:
at this point in this pic, it doesn't look stuck, looks all it need is 4L, aim down, slow gas. and empty passengers to the higher location. and probably revers.
Hongbin

We gathered at meeting point on time and moved to deflation point about 6:30am. Capri and AlShamsi did brief and I am refreshed all basics driving in desert. Had a few club members and some of them got stuck at very beginning, which is very usual. After a few stuck, it is certainly seen that they learned some skills from their own experience. In addition to best position you approaching dunes and parking your car during convoy, two other fundamentals are always critical: tyre pressure and momentum. To be honest, I realised what impact the right tyre pressure is going to bring through one drive with Almost4x4( please see my previous report if interested). And each car is different. As Capri said in the briefing, newbies usually lack of understanding their own cars, which is very true. So don't assume what is right for your car, you will learn it by yourself in practice.
ginger
Intermediate
Intermediate

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 I was one of the Lucky Ones to be part of a fun drive (especially fun around Pink Rock) and it was great to be out with friends on such a lovely morning.

One of the lessons learned today was watching the successful rescue led by Bu Salam of the 2 non-Almost4X4 cars , which had apparently been stuck there for more than 7 hours.

Incidentally having just installed my skid-plate yesterday I'm was pleased that it felt solid and didn't seem to have reduced my ground-clearance too much.

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}
ginger
Intermediate
Intermediate

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 I was one of the Lucky Ones to be part of a fun drive (especially fun around Pink Rock) and it was great to be out with friends on such a lovely morning.

One of the lessons learned today was watching the successful rescue led by Bu Salam of the 2 non-Almost4X4 cars , which had apparently been stuck there for more than 7 hours.

Incidentally having just installed my skid-plate yesterday I'm pleased that it felt solid and didn't seem to have reduced my ground-clearance too much.

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}
Big Red
Intermediate
Intermediate

It was great to catch up with all the newbies. Armin its a shame you werent there ;) we need to catch up.

I agree with Armin again about getting stuck we all do even the big boys and the ones who show us around ..... on the occasion ;p

Pictures are a great way to explain How what where and Why.

I am a firm believer in learning from experience and as long as there were no roll overs and damage to the car. You now know how the car feels when its loosing power. You know what the soft sand feels like when your wheels no longer have grip. Its a great learning experience.

However ... I have been told various times by probably all the marshalls about situations where i could have done better and why, why speed isnt good but direction, The experience they have is an assett and it would be wise to listen.

Having said that I heard there are a few senior Newbies it is great to listen and learn through listening but we all need to listen and learn and apply what is being said ... so that we can all progress :)

Hope this helps yo!! Bu Salem thank you for the quick in and out of A53 i havent explored that area before :)

Capri, Abu Jimmy good to see you again :) and DL great to have a litte chat with you after.

P.S. Sweihan was amazing i hope we all get to go one day.