SaLaLaH 2013

alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hi all

Since everyone confirmed their accommodation which is a good sign that we have 7 cars. People who are still thinking about it, I advise you to get your booking before you sign with us because you are running out of time.

I hope that all are having a GPS because it will be handy if you got lost for any reason, also Radios are important specially on the Highway and driving at night ( don't forget your radio chargers).

I already feel butterflies in my stomach :redbullsmiley:

cheers for now
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
cyanide

[quote=alshamsi_m;26737]Hi all

I hope that all are having a GPS because it will be handy if you got lost for any reason, also Radios are important specially on the Highway and driving at night ( don't forget your radio chargers).

cheers for now[/quote]

I got a Quansheng TG-UV2 but no idea how to save the channels gone through the manual still no help any body having the same model can help me setting up the radio will be appreciated..... BTW what frequency we will be using on the roads
Defragmantor
Intermediate
Intermediate

Got my radio set thanx to Mr caprihorse for helping me with it (over Skype ) got GPS in my vehicle .hotel room booked aswell :D all we need now is time to go faster :p cuz I can't wait for this trip !!!
CAMEL
Intermediate
Intermediate

This is a great trip, We did it last year and was wonderful. Unfortunately cant join this year. We were 3 cars and Salalah is just awesome at this time of the year!! Ejoy everyone.

A few things we faced on our trip.

1) On our way to Salalah we spent 3 hours at the visa counter on the Oman side, they were very unorganized as they were huge crowds and the authorities were not prepared for the rush.

2) During the checking at the Omani border, the cop found a Radio lying in the dash of one of our cars and it was confiscated. So I suggest switch off and put the radios in a safe hidden place while crossing the borders.

Also en route there are cops with Radars, so watch out, specially while approaching and exiting a town.

3) On our way back there was a shortage of fuel in many of the petrol Stations, and at 3 places we had to wait in a queue for 3-4 hrs each. ( yes our return trip took us 20 hours)

4) Its good to carry some Mosquito/bugs repellent cream and use it if you plan to trek or camp in the jabels.

5) Go Pro users must carry Anti Fog Inserts if you are using the waterproof mount.

Have fun everyone, stay safe!!
cyanide

[quote=CAMEL;26740]

1) On our way to Salalah we spent 3 hours at the visa counter on the Oman side, they were very unorganized as they were huge crowds and the authorities were not prepared for the rush.

2) During the checking at the Omani border, the cop found a Radio lying in the dash of one of our cars and it was confiscated. So I suggest switch off and put the radios in a safe hidden place while crossing the borders.

[/quote]

Any idea how to avoid the rush

And what is this love affair of cops with radio :oh noes: why don't they give it to public, BTW are there any sniffer dogs let in the car
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

No Dogs as far as I know ... another small detail I got from two friends ... for non omanis or emiraties they charge some amount around 50 dhs per person but they don't accept cash ... you should have a CREDIT CARD.
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Defragmantor
Intermediate
Intermediate

[quote=alshamsi_m;26743]No Dogs as far as I know ... another small detail I got from two friends ... for non omanis or emiraties they charge some amount around 50 dhs per person but they don't accept cash ... you should have a CREDIT CARD.[/quote]
Last month when i travelled to oman they never asked for my card (the transaction was done in dirham )
FSL

[quote=cyanide;26741]Any idea how to avoid the rush [/quote]

Best time to be at the border checkpost is between 00:00 to 05:00 hrs, that's when it's least crowded but then again if luck is not on your side a bus full of passengers might show up and you might get stuck there for atleast 2 hrs.

Never heard for sniffers on the checkpost (btw you planning to take along any substance :meta knight: ;)
cyanide

[quote=FSL;26751]
Never heard for sniffers on the checkpost (btw you planning to take along any substance :meta knight: ;)[/quote]

Back in those days when I was a kido we went twice to Saudia at the check post they searched every car with sniffer dogs so was just curious.... nothing planned yet for the substance..:ka boom:
admin

Dont Miss to bring with you

1-before & after bite for the annoying mosquitoes
2- some heavy cloth \ jack't & scarf
Adventures League of Mountains, Oceans & Sand Thrills