Drive Hard 6.0

ladylienka
Golden Member
Golden Member

Day 0
We arrived with Capri to the camp during the daylight, around 6.30pm. What a surprise - we were the first ones!!! It was just perfect time to build the tent & enjoy beautiful sunset.. Soon there was million of stars on the sky, friends started to come - well - from a different direction, so for a while we thought they are lost :005: Temperature quickly dropped, gladly we had huge amount of wood (which we didn't manage to burn in 2 nights). We all shared the nice food & good mood. Capri made very special very healthy hot ginger drink, which we all tasted.

The rest of people did come around midnight & after short chit-chat most of us went to sleep, keeping in mind that we need to rest for the next day…
OK… while comfortably getting asleep, I just realized, that some mates still have power to sing & shout on whole camp "Wake uuuuuuuuuuuuuup" … Honestly, YOU, be glad, that I was enough tired & lazy & freezing to get out of the tent.. :007: :014:

Day 1
We did join intermediate convoy in sweeper role, with leading Yoghybear. Nice drive, with everything – cresting, bowls, drops, small tricky dunes, nice big dunes, slow & fast tracks. Thank you Yoghy for making this drive so nice and interesting! :045:

First disaster – early afternoon Tornado lost 4x4 – so our fun ended a little bit early. We took the fast track to the Adnoc, most people left; rest was waiting for second convoy.

Second disaster – legendary Pathfinder started to make a strange noise, Capri decided not to drive on the second day (BTW, really smart and correct, as it showed the next day), so we all did finish with convincing him to join trip in a passenger seat. :012:

After dinner in local caffetteria (treat by Al Shamsi, thank you!) we went to the camp – and yes Armin - on the way we had some funny stuck – due to no deflation and no 4x4. Finally, we made it to the camp, did bone fire, not lazy people went for a shower, we had a chit-chat and more eating-eating (thanks Delta for hamburgers & Al Shamsi for soup).

Day 2
I love the Strawb's name for the day: "Discovering the OH $HIT bowls of Liwa" – it was exactly that!!! :devilish:

I had the honor to be a passenger in leading car & wohoooooo - Al Shamsi kept my adrenaline high all the time!!! :011: I dare to say, we had everything what Liwa can offer – huge drops, great bowls, tricky deep bowls, beautiful views, ditches, soft sand…

We found perfect place for camping – and I'm sure, to the end, we found also native place of Madam Desert Ghost family!!!
Walking around, looking for the way to pass: right – oh my god!; left – oh my god!!; walking further behind – oh my gooooood!!! Walking-walking, looking-looking :013:
However, lucky enough & thanks to GREAT Al Shamsi's lead - all did manage to finish drive with no harm & very happy.

On way back Pathfinder decided not to go anymore :uncomfortableness: - but lucky enough, on the tarmac. While waiting on Adnoc for recovery car, we finaly had nice coffe, also some food (treat by Strawb, thank you!). Then we had special treat by Al Shamsi, who took us safely home :003: – a biiiiiiiig THANK YOU!!!
Big Red
Intermediate
Intermediate

Ladies and Gentlemen, marshals and members,

There is no amount of Thanks that will suffice in me trying
to express how thankful I am for you all volunteering your
time and looking after us in liwa.

I would like to be a little constructive ... As you know I had
Passengers and they enjoyed the trip, however one of them
Was falling asleep ... and for me that's unacceptable ... especially
For a liwa drive. I found we were stopping way to often and
driving on flat ground a little too much.

Now I am no Marshall and I am sure it is a challenge to
navigate on new terrain.
Especially after an extended period away.

So an honest outlook from my point of view is that the drive was
Not a challenge or too exciting enough.

That being said there is no where I would have rather been whilst camping
With such great people talking, chatting, driving karak or listening to
Bulldogs exhaust .. ; p or the snoring orchestra from my passengers and believe it
Or not the little one was the worst.

So to sum it up thank you for your awesome company
Thank you for the invite and time
Till next time we are together under the stars with a fire in front of us

Ben
Humanfaith

I just wonder why our level was not invited to this trip? before any of the marshals say any thing, the answer will be it is better that you :010: and take some of this :007:

Honestly, to our level, it seems that you guys have been in another planet. This is Houston earth, do you copy? over.
[h=3][/h]
delta83
Advance
Advance

Not sure where to start ... but a big big thanks to almost 4x4 family for such a long nice weekend and always a dream to drive in liwa...
Hat off for Bu Salem and Caprihorse and roberto, to sacrifice their cars and dedicate their time so we enjoy liwa desert
Second lead behind the master Shamsi is not an easy task in big deep bowls .. have to be alert all time to avoid 2 cars in one bowl
Second day i had the honor of having our chief marshal caprihorse as passenger, it started with an extra 20 hp to my swb by deflating to 8 psi , million dollar advice from chief marshal, just be careful from pop out and we were driving second gear most of the going up parts :)
Great advices how to select your track, how to attack the dunes ...
Best part when we hear Bu Salem on radio .. what is the status?? Reply : still studying ... then everyone say.. ohhh shiit hehehehe .. that doesnt sound good
But at the end everyone did well and enjoyed liwa to max
Bu Salem lead master and king of high dunes.. thanks so much for the best 2 days offroading ( nissan was clearing the way for peeeps)
Caprihorse big thanks for all the advices and hope we all keep learning from you
Almost 4x4 members ...thank you for the nice company and nice camping
Hope to see you all in sand again
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Humanfaith;24565]I just wonder why our level was not invited to this trip? before any of the marshals say any thing, the answer will be it is better that you :010: and take some of this :007:

Honestly, to our level, it seems that you guys have been in another planet. This is Houston earth, do you copy? over.
[/quote]
I don't understand what you want to say. Can you pls be more expressive?
BettyPo
Advance
Advance

[quote=delta83;24567]( nissan was clearing the way for peeeps)
[/quote]

What are you saying Delta???:014:
BettyPo
Advance
Advance

Day 0 - Did not exist for me, unfortunately due to commitments in Dubai. I am sure I have missed an amazing evening camp with chit chat and good laughs with Almost's Sis & Bro's.
I arrived more or less quietly at 4.30am in camp on Day 1, just early enough to get an hour sleep after fixing my bed, before getting up for a day of drive. Here to be honest, I had a bit of fear as I know what Hameem/Liwa has to offer and lack of sleep :025: can cause many unexpected szenarios I do not want to get into especially in, I would call it none familiar playgrounds.
Anyways, Sand out of whatever reason keeps me awake:011:

Day 1 - Great views and tracks, with easy bits, some stucks and popps and company everyone can just wish for!

Day 2 - Full awesome, driving driving, no stuck, no popp, driving driving!
This day was about to get cancelled after Yoghy decided wisely to return with his rig to Dubai to get it checked and also Capri wanted to return as the Legendary was sick.
Believe me, it is not easy to convince the Master of sitting as a passenger, but it worked as he still could sit in in a Fissan:028:

My Drives Leader: Bu Salem, who was desperate for Group Hugs :033:, cares soooo badly of the safety of his members which is insane and I cannot express myself enough how thankful I am to be part of this family and that I was able to be part for this weekends drive.
Caprihorse: You know....:021:
Armin: The wood boy, keep coming!
Yanka: I need more cookies!:024:
All members: Apologies for not greeting some of you properly the morning of Day 1, my eyes must have been still closed and we departed so fast.
Members of the Advance Drives: Sharing is caring - Food, Videos, chats, tools etc.... always again. I don't understand why no one wanted my eggs and cucumbers:010:
Members who could not join due to their level: Your time will come early enough where you will face plenty of 'Oh Sh!t' bowls, get more familiar with Badayer Hills and conquer those:011:
Members who could join in their level but did not: You missed out and we missed you!
Adnoc station: Thanks for fillin petrol and providing a Shower:005: Bestest after a day drive!
The one and only food stall: Nice Dal!
The speeding cameras: Thanks, no new pictures! The film must have been full:011:
To all: No matter how experienced you think you are, every drive teaches you something new, so respect the terrain you drive in! Thanks for reading and hope to see you very soon!
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Big Red;24557]Ladies and Gentlemen, marshals and members,

There is no amount of Thanks that will suffice in me trying
to express how thankful I am for you all volunteering your
time and looking after us in liwa.

I would like to be a little constructive ... As you know I had
Passengers and they enjoyed the trip, however one of them
Was falling asleep ... and for me that's unacceptable ... especially
For a liwa drive. I found we were stopping way to often and
driving on flat ground a little too much.

Now I am no Marshall and I am sure it is a challenge to
navigate on new terrain.
Especially after an extended period away.

So an honest outlook from my point of view is that the drive was
Not a challenge or too exciting enough.

That being said there is no where I would have rather been whilst camping
With such great people talking, chatting, driving karak or listening to
Bulldogs exhaust .. ; p or the snoring orchestra from my passengers and believe it
Or not the little one was the worst.

So to sum it up thank you for your awesome company
Thank you for the invite and time
Till next time we are together under the stars with a fire in front of us

Ben[/quote]

Ben, thank you for your open words, I value what you are saying. However I think we deserve more explanation.

At first Marshals are creating the convoys and ordering the cars based on the expected convoy progress, to minimize unnecessary standings. As second, Members are not driving with Marshals, but Marshals are driving with Members. So the whole convoy speed and progress is not dictated by Marshals, but by Members, where the weakest car always defines the convoy progress.

So any member (including you) is free to speak to the leading car and express his opinion about the trip scenario. You had the opportunity to speak at this trip with everybody about the level or to give a feedback to any Marshal or other driver. But you didn't. I'm afraid you just exchanged comments with your friends in your car.

On our trips many passengers are getting tired, when sitting on back seats, especially in FJ, which has a very low visibility. My friend Gorgin earlier compared rear side windows in FJ with those in Boeing... So there is no wonder, if passengers after long boring drive from Dubai and few hours of sleep are getting very tired or sick the next day. Sometimes it's a good idea to ask the passengers to exchange their seats.

To write in a trip report, that the trip was boring is a bit late, however we are taking your words into the consideration for the future and we hope to see you more frequently as long as your work does it allow.
Big Red
Intermediate
Intermediate

My apologies for the delay and thank you for thereminder,

I do remember BU Salem saying that the reason for the split convoy was so that we did not get lost in each others tracks which we would use to improve our own navigation skills in virgin dunes. Yet after every other dune we seemed to stop. At one point I did approach yoghy and suggest we do this to keep a quicker pace.

As for the back seat in the fj I agree it's not the best but she wasn't even sick. Not that I wanted her to get sick in a malicious way but if she did at least it would have been cause it might have been more of a safari type drive.

I am no expert and don't claim to be either however I am a qualified newbie. Could it be that although we were all intermediates the level was not an intermediate track.

Is it possible that it was just me that felt that it could have been a little more continuous ore quicker paced?
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Big Red;24682]My apologies for the delay and thank you for thereminder,

I do remember BU Salem saying that the reason for the split convoy was so that we did not get lost in each others tracks which we would use to improve our own navigation skills in virgin dunes. Yet after every other dune we seemed to stop. At one point I did approach yoghy and suggest we do this to keep a quicker pace.

As for the back seat in the fj I agree it's not the best but she wasn't even sick. Not that I wanted her to get sick in a malicious way but if she did at least it would have been cause it might have been more of a safari type drive.

I am no expert and don't claim to be either however I am a qualified newbie. Could it be that although we were all intermediates the level was not an intermediate track.

Is it possible that it was just me that felt that it could have been a little more continuous ore quicker paced?[/quote]

Ben, stay to the subject and don't mix. Every second dune... I was behind you and I don't have this impression. At some places, you were also returning and holding the rest of the convoy, waiting for you... If you really want to get a real picture, check your Garmin record, to see how many times and for how long we stopped. You can also see the statistics from this trip, which is quite normal for this type of territory.

BTW did you read this? - http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... -Tailoring