Scuba Diver Badge

Mubz

hi Guys

there is a deal running for the scuba diving course if anyone is interested.

http://www.groupon.ae/deals/dubai/Deep- ... 126&a=1910
Fat Rabbit

Okay so I know that no questions are considered 'silly' on the forum, so I'll just go ahead as ask the question... and perhaps earn a few frowns on the way...

Is knowing how to swim mandatory in scuba diving?

I ask because i do snorkelling quite often and I dont know how to swim. I mean i can float but not swim swim like in actual swimming. Without my snorkelling gear, i wont be able to swim even a short distance. Having said that, I was very comfortable in jumping into 15m deep open waters in Phuket for snorkelling, wearing a life jacket and snorkels.

I know people who dont know swimming best stay out of water... but just curious on the rules if anyone does want to take up scube diving :032:

Okay you can laugh now :011:
Where the road ends, the enjoyment begins..
With Natalie, a 2-door beige Nissan Patrol Safari
Mubz

Fat Rabbit;25670 wrote:Okay so I know that no questions are considered 'silly' on the forum, so I'll just go ahead as ask the question... and perhaps earn a few frowns on the way...

I ask because i do snorkelling quite often and I dont know how to swim. I mean i can float but not swim swim like in actual swimming. Without my snorkelling gear, i wont be able to swim even a short distance. Having said that, I was very comfortable in jumping into 15m deep open waters in Phuket for snorkelling, wearing a life jacket and snorkels.

I know people who dont know swimming best stay out of water... but just curious on the rules if anyone does want to take up scube diving :032:

Nothing to Laugh at, I believe swimming is must for scuba diving, I might be wrong since I dont have scuba diving license but in the conditions of the deal it says swimming is must, now I dont know what is meant by swimming here coz swimming includes a whole world of techniques.

Maybe Those who have the license will be able to put some light on term swimming is must
BettyPo
Advance
Advance

Fat Rabbit;25670 wrote:Okay so I know that no questions are considered 'silly' on the forum, so I'll just go ahead as ask the question... and perhaps earn a few frowns on the way...

You do not have to be a Pro, however you will need to show them that you can keep yourself over water. Now, in salt water you can keep your bouyancy anyways but techniques might be taught in a pool. It is worth learning to swim first as diving and the beautiful underwater world will pay it off. Try snorkelling without a life jacket in shallow water and then top it up with removing the fins. It's just an inner fear....you can do it!
Mubz

Just out of curiousity..... roughly how much does the diving gear cost ? from minimum to maximum.
muhtar

Hello guys,

Swimming: Well, the answer is yes and no

PADI needs you to pass a simple swimming test after training/before certification. You can choose:
- float for ten minute
- swim 65 mtrs with no equipment
- swim 100 mtrs with snorkel.
So you can pass without really swimming, just snorkelling can save the day.

CMAS is more flexible I guess. I dont remember any constraint, one guy get certified without being able to swim without gear.

The point is if you are comfortable in water or not. I personally would not certify anybody without proper confidence in water, otherwise the gear will float you.

@Mubz
Buying diving gear is not common. First, it is illegal to scuba alone, you need to buddy at least with one; in general you go with a company. Second, it is expensive and you will need to refill the tank, clean them all the time, check the critical gears etc.

the US prices in general

BCD (the jacket): 150+USD
Regulators: 150+
Octopus: starting from 150+ USD
This first three are critical, any low quality one can kill you. Consider a helmet riding a super sport motorcycle...

Mask: 20+ USD. Not critical. The worst case it will leak water and you have a blurry view.
The wet suit: from 30 to 500 USD. I saw some chinese stuff in Sand and Sun around 400AED. This can be cheap, since not critical. If it get torn you will feel cold :)
Fins: Again not critical, 20+ USD

And a diving computer. 100USD

Add %50 for each in UAE.
BettyPo
Advance
Advance

Reading through muhtar's post...wondered where you get the cheap gear from till I reached 'Add 50% each in UAE' LOL!

So where do you teach?
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mubz;25687 wrote:Just out of curiousity..... roughly how much does the diving gear cost ? from minimum to maximum.
Normally, if you don't dive frequently, you can rely on renting the equipment from PADI certified diving centres worldwide, as they should have always the latest equipment, to ensure the safety. From the point of view personal hygiene, the wet suit should be owned by you.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

To swim or not to swim, that is the question; as said by Danish Prince...

Your question sounds to me, like... 'Can I go into dark tunnel, full of rabbit holes, without light?' If yes, and you want to break your both legs in one shot, then the answer is YES.
Diving is the same risk, similar to off-roading, if you don't know basics, you'll suffer or you can get killed. All those who just want to make money, may say, you don't need to know to swim, if you pay in advance...
Fat Rabbit

caprihorse;25699 wrote:you don't need to know to swim, if you pay in advance...
:011: :011: :011: ... if you pay in advance :011: :011: :011:

Hahaha, okay so I get the point. I guessed as much, but just wanted to satisfy myself by asking the question. Ithink I will stick to desert driving and snorkelling for now...

The two photos below are from my Phuket (Thailand) snorkelling trip taken with an underwater camera.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1378[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1377[/ATTACH]
Where the road ends, the enjoyment begins..
With Natalie, a 2-door beige Nissan Patrol Safari