Something broke off :(

Maddie

Many thanks Code RedDakujem ChiefI took it to a workshop here, they oened the to cover and almost sixty percent of the radiator was completely clogged.I mean there were little chunks of crud. They cleaned it withoud chemicals because as per the technician, its aluminium and chemical will damage it. Replaced the lower hosepie too (upper hoseipe I changed in duba). The water flow was very good when checked.Put in a couple of gallons of cheap 50/50 and & 1 gallon of water (I donno if it was dstilled or not). Chief, I am heading to Madinah AL Munawwarah tonght for a couple of nights. Its a 1000 km round trip. As the water flow is normal, I will keep an eye on the Temp Gauge . If everythng is ok, I will drain the Radiator upon return and refill it with original Toyota 50/50 one gallon and the rest distilled water.Thanks a tonne once again everyone :)
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

MaddieTJ;25959 wrote:...because as per the technician, its aluminum and chemical will damage it...
I never in my life heard such a stupid explanation... Chemicals to add, to cleaning process should be those, which don't react with aluminum or other similar metals and I'm sure that anybody in BMW road in Sharjah, who is performing this service, is aware of this fact. Chemicals should dissolve minerals and not metal.
Maddie

Well Chief, that's what the guy told me :(. .....
Let's pray I reach Dubai safely, I intend to replace the radator, the thermostat, Fan clutch and water pump once I am back In Sha Allah.
Darshan

Nothing to add other than what the Jeep experts have already mentioned. Have a safe trip and buy a Japaneese 4X4 when you are back :005:
Maddie

Alhamdulillah, no overheating during the round trip Makkah to Medina

I noticed a little leakage under the thermostat housing... Can I use silicon tube till I return?
Code Red

A thin bead of silicon should seal it if the gasket is not working, but you will need to take it apart and apply the silicon to the mating surfaces where it all goes together. Silicon applied from the outside is not likely to have much effect.
Maddie

Thanks Code Red, that's what I shall do !! Should I replace the Thermostat too? How long do you reckon the Silicon will hold? I mean will it forego the need for a new gasket or I will have to put in a gasket sooner or later?
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

New thermo ( comes with gasket ) is 35 DH here in UAE , I think you better buy and fix there .
What goes around , comes around .
Code Red

I agree with Abu Jimmy. The cost of a thermostat & gasket is comparatively cheap, and I usually just replace everything if I have to go to the trouble of taking it apart. If the surfaces are clean and undamaged, you shouldn't even need the silicon, but in my experience a little bit doesn't hurt. Remember that you will lose some coolant when you take it apart, so have a little on hand to top it up.

Be careful not to overtighten the bolts when you reinstall. There's nothing worse than breaking one off in the block when you don't have the tools handy to drill out a broken bolt.
yasir
Intermediate
Intermediate

caprihorse;25874 wrote:Change the sensor immediately, it's mounted at the front of gearbox. This sensor is important for the whole engine and counting the teeth at rotation. Your car may stop in the middle of the highway, which would not be very pleasant.
And don't ask Abu Jimmy, Strawb and me, how do we know this fact.
Hi Chief!
Change the sensor and remove battery cable to reset, still problem remains.