When to regear?

funindubai

For many of us, we modify our vehicles for looks or power. Off road vehicles offer us significant opportunity to increase the capability of the vehicle. Naturally the driver must first learn to use the capability the vehicle offers without any mods.

i recently upgraded the suspension on my FJ. Installed coilovers and new upper control arms as well as stronger rear shocks. Also did a tyre upgrade switching to 33 retaining he 17 inch rims. I was surprised how much the gearing changed (the engine speed required to drive the car at a fixed road speed decreased. On the road it was great for fuel economy, but in the sand, not enough rpm to climb easily.

The standard ratio of the FJ 6 speed manual is 3.91.i was advised to install a 4.56 kit which would cost about dh7k. Opted to also go for a front diff lock for an extra 3k. We can discuss use of differentials separately.

anyone else share any experiences on regearing?
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello Funindubai

I can see that you already started spending on your car, I did some modification on my x-car too please check the following link :

http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... s-for-sale

We have many threads were members opened similar topics, so if you allow me I'm going to share with you few points :

- Drive your car , find out your limitations and your car limitations too.
- Ask yourself while driving, I could not do a certain trick is it because of me or is it my car ??

1. You can ask the marshals for guidness.
2. Upgrade according to your driving level ( newbie, intermediate or advanced) as a newbie you definitely don't need anything.
3. I can see that you ordered a supercharge " real Offroaders don't drive supercharged or turbo cars" for a very simple reason, we drive a lot and supercharged cars tends to over heat.
4. Keep driving with us and we will show you ways how to over come these issues
5. Do not add front deferential lock because the rear is enough in FJ
6. I think a sales person was just suggesting point 5 & 6 to you just to make more sales

Regards

P.S : STOP SPENDDING , START DRIVING
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Rashidjass
Marshal
Marshal

alshamsi_m;23092 wrote: P.S : STOP SPENDDING , START DRIVING
................. :like:
Straight Roads Do Not Make Skillful Drivers yuush
CAMEL
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sell it and get a Nissan...:011:
funindubai

All valuable words of wisdom, thanks guys. I just struggle not to fiddle. And yes I will be doing a lot of driving as I have for the past 10 years...
Do you have any experience you can share on the supercharger...Shamsi?
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

What do you mean by sharing about supercharger.... You mean technical or experience seen other supercharged cars ?
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
xkennx
Club Member
Club Member

I prefer superchargers over turbochargers! Both in having to install (I have done a bunch of both) and also out of overall performance and longevity. TRD offers a complete bolt on solution but recommend you try a car with it installed before spending the $ yourself.

I had one on my Tacoma pickup and besides being able to make the rear wheels spin never felt it was really worth the $.

Regearing...... I converted my Jeep to 4.56 and my 33inch tires, now I have a hardtime keeping up with the trucks in the right lane. You always need to way the pro vs the con when doing upgrades. Being my Jeep which was ment for offroad only (which I dont actually take offroad) and trying to go over 120km/p in a YJ is scary as hell it was not and issue for me, but for a daily driver that you need to get highway speeds you might regret it. Also it cost me 125dh in fuel alone from RAK to Jebel Ali.
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi guys

There is a lot to consider when doing a re gear.
Going to 4.56 on one car vs another is completely different, but I am sure you know that.
Even on same car, auto vs manual often have different gearbox ratios.

Highway rpm is a big factor, it seems to be the only factor that many people look at. There are tables on the net with gear ratio / tire size giving rpm at 70mph.

For desert driving, I think the shift point between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd is also very important. You don't want to be hunting / constantly shifting between 2 gears.

If you know your gearbox model, transfer case model, axel ratio and true tire size.... Have a look here:

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/metric_gears.html

I have spent many hours thinking about gears for my 2012 Jeep JK.
I am just not happy with the stock 3.21 setup. There is a lot to consider.

Regards
paul
funindubai

@pwood:Completely agree. The 4.56 for the FJC is exactly what's required to bring it back to a stock feel. So agree with @ kennx that I dont want to be struggling to pass trucks in the right lane. Also I dont want the power, I'm just looking for more torque.

@ Al Shamsi: Yes I was hoping you could also share some experience and advise on supercharger install. I see you had the Unichip done. I wonder how the EGT on your car was as the Unichip tuning essentially takes out fuel and adds ignition to make the power. This indirectly has the effect of increasing EGT and also the temperature of your engine bottom end.

Will really appreciate your experiences, thank you.
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

There is a guy in Abu Dhabi who was running a 2008 manual FJ with the said re gearing and bigger 33" tires....if you want I can send you his contact details for actual hands on feedback