Radiator leak

Fat Rabbit

Hi all,

Just wanted some advice... my TJ's radiator coolant has leaked out completely...:054: the radiator itself is now completely empty as well as the additional plastic tank. I am guessing its the hose pipe that was leaking rather then the radiator itself.

I am going to take it to the garage, just wanted to know whether I should put in the coolant again or should I just fill it up with plain water? The mechanic will inspect and fix whatever he needs to, at which time, all the coolant will anyway be drained out again... so instead of wasting coolant, should I just use water for the trip to the mechanic?

And no, this is not another Jeep Thing...:010:... occassional leaks here and there are common for any vehicle, Jeep or not :005: :021:

Thanks
Where the road ends, the enjoyment begins..
With Natalie, a 2-door beige Nissan Patrol Safari
maze
Club Member
Club Member

i say just use water and see how fast does it leak.. if its poring out just tow it to be safe!
FSL

put water for now and run to the garage...
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fat Rabbit;22328 wrote:Hi all,

Just wanted some advice... my TJ's radiator coolant has leaked out completely...:054: the radiator itself is now completely empty as well as the additional plastic tank. I am guessing its the hose pipe that was leaking rather then the radiator itself.

I am going to take it to the garage, just wanted to know whether I should put in the coolant again or should I just fill it up with plain water? The mechanic will inspect and fix whatever he needs to, at which time, all the coolant will anyway be drained out again... so instead of wasting coolant, should I just use water for the trip to the mechanic?

And no, this is not another Jeep Thing...:010:... occassional leaks here and there are common for any vehicle, Jeep or not :005: :021:

Thanks
The water will run out immediately, call recovery car and don't drive it... you can damage cylinder head, head gasket and you'll get check engine alarm... altogether lots of thousands of Dirhams...
Sandskull
Intermediate
Intermediate

Fat Rabbit;22328 wrote:Hi all,

Thanks
Better to take it on recovery, if you still decide to fill n drive to garage, then remove the radiator cap. With no radiator cap, the steam which is created due to the leak will go out easily and thus with no pressure the water leakage will reduce from the leak area. Good Luck !
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

First of all forget about the coolant for now and concentrate on the leak , fill the car with plain water while its switched off and do it from the the radiator directly not from the reserve tank . after filling the radiator fully keep it opened and then switch on the car ( the water circulation will be on the move ) keep on filling the radiator slowly untill its full , close radiator cap and then fill the reserve tank half way only .

after filing the radiator and reserve tank , keep the engine running and check the amount of water leakage . if the leak is huge ( the car is poring water heavily ) you should not drive it , better send on recovery . but if the leak is minor you can drive to the garage , in that case you need to keep extra amount of water with you in the car and keep watching the temperature , if the car starts to overheat stop immediately , give it some time to cool down , add water while the engine is running and move on . keep on doing this till you reach the garage .

Good luck .
What goes around , comes around .
Fat Rabbit

Hello all,

I am finally back in DXB and took Roxanne to the mechanic yesterday. Filled up the radiator with water, it wasnt pouring out, so I drove it to the garage. After a check-up, I am told its the water pump that needs replacement. So hopefully I'll get my car back either today or tomorrow. I've really missed her all these days :016:

Thank you for your suggestions, much appreciated.
Where the road ends, the enjoyment begins..
With Natalie, a 2-door beige Nissan Patrol Safari