Rust Proofing My TJ

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Harrazh;20999 wrote:Here are some pics,

Don't need to worry, your pics are showing that this car was rarely driven in a sand. When frequently driving in sand all underneath parts are sand blasted and are looking without any rust... Addtitionally, as it is Wrangler, you'll change these shown parts soon or later, depending on your driving style.

Join us the trips and your bottom will look silver steel... :038:
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

FSL;21002 wrote:It's not that bad actually... may be get it sprayed with diesel/oil after every wash at service station. That's what i used to do. Keeping it lubricated will help, i think...

Since it's not the body parts so I'd not be too worried if i were you.
What about sand blasting, when driving???
FSL

caprihorse;21013 wrote:What about sand blasting, when driving???
not sure if old rust goes thru sand, although after every drive i used to notice some parts of my lift kit to be clean and shiny :011:
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

dont fuzz about those things ......

use the car and that rust will go away ...... when your engine and tranny starts to leak oil :011:
Harrazh
Club Member
Club Member

CAMEL;21005 wrote:Just wanted to add a few things after reading this thread...

Firstly,

Please be as detailed as possible about your question. This is important so that you don't get solutions to problems you don't have in the first place!!

Secondly, Regarding Rust..

I assume everyone here knows what rusting is( If not we can have a separate thread), A cars mechanical/Body components are mainly of two types..Formed Sheet Metal and Cast iron alloy. I am sure all parts will fail and need replacement at some point of time. as for rust, the sheet metal parts are more vulnerable where as the cast iron parts may fail due to other reasons before actually the rust eats in.

Thank you Camel for your help, I thought I was clear that I need a good place to do the coating and remove the rust :) I actually got even more than what I have asked for, really great tips and a little peace of mind about the car , so thank u all for the help.

regarding the pannels, I'm not sure, but I have a light bar in the car, and the screws are rusted, which made me a little bit alarmed, because its connected to the body.
Harrazh
Club Member
Club Member

caprihorse;21012 wrote:Don't need to worry, your pics are showing that this car was rarely driven in a sand. When frequently driving in sand all underneath parts are sand blasted and are looking without any rust... Addtitionally, as it is Wrangler, you'll change these shown parts soon or later, depending on your driving style.

Join us the trips and your bottom will look silver steel... :038:
:018: I like that, this is very cost effective for the "car" :) , Thank you.
I used to do off roading using my other car (pathfinder), but I just bought this one and want to take it out, will hook with one of the newbe trips

Shouldn't I be alarmed that even the screws on the light bar are rusted?
I heard that almost44 is openning its own workshop, does anyone know if they do rust proofing?
Harrazh
Club Member
Club Member

I forgot to mention that the visible tip of the drive shaft also has rust
I'm a little bit alarmed, because the bolts around the tank have rust, the screws on the light bars, and the door knob has also a small spot rusted, weird places!!
So thought of just coating it as a way to slow it down, but I need a guidance to a good place
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Harrazh;21045 wrote: I used to do off roading using my other car (pathfinder), but I just bought this one and want to take it out, will hook with one of the newbe trips
Why you're not using anymore for the desert this perfect car? Which model do you have (Nissan)?
Harrazh
Club Member
Club Member

caprihorse;21048 wrote:Why you're not using anymore for the desert this perfect car? Which model do you have (Nissan)?
Its a 2008 model, and thought to have another one for my own pleasure :), to be honest with you, I really enjoyed that car in the desert, its a little bit heavy, but never let me down.
Its now with my wife
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Harrazh;21049 wrote:Its a 2008 model, and thought to have another one for my own pleasure :), to be honest with you, I really enjoyed that car in the desert, its a little bit heavy, but never let me down.
Its now with my wife
Good choice, to drive that model in desert requires many mods, mainly on bumper area, skid plates front and rear, suspension, etc. The previous model can be driven anytime without significant mods...