Rust Proofing My TJ

Harrazh
Club Member
Club Member

Hi Everyone,
I have just bought a used TJ 2006, and there are some parts that have rust all over, so I was thinking of cleanning it up and rust proof it, any suggestion on a good place to do so? preferrably near barsha
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Harrazh;20984 wrote:Hi Everyone,
I have just bought a used TJ 2006, and there are some parts that have rust all over, so I was thinking of cleanning it up and rust proof it, any suggestion on a good place to do so? preferrably near barsha
If there is already rust, it's like a cancer... with so called rust proof, the 'company' will cover visible from outside with some paint and the cancer will propagate from inside... no help...
And I'm not bad bad guy, I'm just realistic...
admin

can you upload some pic of rust so can advice you what should do ...
Adventures League of Mountains, Oceans & Sand Thrills
makoo

the only way you can really rust proof is Galvanizing your chassis and filling the holes and eaten up parts, then paint it with some really good special paint that slows rusting dramatically!
but too bad they dont do it in dubai :(
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

rust proofing has not been proven very effective..
any good body shop can deal with the rust. rust removal involves brushing or scraping out the rust then using acid to remove micro spots. terribly rusted sheet metal is cut out and replaced with new panels welded in place. after smoothing, a base paste is applied, smoothed then a primer is applied then undercoat and finally paint.. it will cost you..
Harrazh
Club Member
Club Member

caprihorse;20987 wrote:If there is already rust, it's like a cancer... with so called rust proof, the 'company' will cover visible from outside with some paint and the cancer will propagate from inside... no help...
And I'm not bad bad guy, I'm just realistic...
Should I lose hope?!!!!!! :019::019::019:
Harrazh
Club Member
Club Member

ALKHATIB;20988 wrote:can you upload some pic of rust so can advice you what should do ...
Here are some picts,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1215[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1216[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1217[/ATTACH]
CAMEL
Intermediate
Intermediate

Harrazh;20999 wrote:Here are some picts,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1215[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1216[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1217[/ATTACH]

Dont be so alarmed....This does not look that BAD after all!!!

I wouldn't be so bothered about the parts that can be replaced...like the axel and other part..eventually when they wear out, in the pics they dont look like they are gonna give away that soon. Only thing i would take care of the the chassis and the in this case the support for the side step if it is a part of the chassis If the support is also a bolt on feature to the chassis that also can be replaced.

Is there any other rust on the any of the body panels??
FSL

It's not that bad actually... may be get it sprayed with diesel/oil after every wash at service station. That's what i used to do. Keeping it lubricated will help, i think...

Since it's not the body parts so I'd not be too worried if i were you.
CAMEL
Intermediate
Intermediate

Just wanted to add a few things after reading this thread...

Firstly,

Please be as detailed as possible about your question. This is important so that you don't get solutions to problems you don't have in the first place!!

Secondly, Regarding Rust..

I assume everyone here knows what rusting is( If not we can have a separate thread), A cars mechanical/Body components are mainly of two types..Formed Sheet Metal and Cast iron alloy. I am sure all parts will fail and need replacement at some point of time. as for rust, the sheet metal parts are more vulnerable where as the cast iron parts may fail due to other reasons before actually the rust eats in.