Need advice on tires and rims!!!!

simonkc
Club Member
Club Member

Hi All,

I have a Jeep wrangler Sport JK with stock tires (245/70R16) and stock 16"x7" rims. I plan to change the tires as well as rims.

I need your advice on the same.

Requirements:

1) want to have the widest tires/rims that are possible and which are good for desert driving ( best traction)

2) don't want too much road noise..80% of my driving is on road and 20% offroad or maybe even less.

3) don't want any loss in vehicle power

4) don't want to do any modifications except maybe put wheel spacers or extended bumpstops..preferably would like to avoid even these modifications since my JK is still under warranty

5) would like to avoid "lifting" the vehicle, if possible.

6) would like to avoid "re-gearing" the jeep, if possible. I am ok with changing speedometer settings , if required.

Looks are not important to me...but the best traction is MOST important.

Questions:

Q1) Should i go for 15 inch or 16 inch or 17 inch rims?

Q2) Should i go for 8 or 9 or 10 or 11 or 12 inch wide rims?

Q3) What is best tire size which meets my above requirements?31 inch or 33 inch or more?

Q4) Which brand of tyres are best for offroading ( and economical as well) BFGoodrich, Copper, Nitto,Yokohama, etc?

Q5) Good places ( read economical) places to buy tires and rims. Would prefer shops who can buy back my existing tires and rims.

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

052 9255059
Rahulmanan2

Dear Friend,

Am very new to offroading but very practical and i did the same which am going to tell....go for Cooper H/t 275/70/R16 which is perfect for road and sand and please stick to your stock rims to avoid pop out if you are looking for long term.

In market options are available but as you go higher side for width the chance for pop out will increase if you really want to increase the width then only go for original n company rims and never buy from Sharjah.

For traction control you have to go RAK and take advise from our founder member Mr. Alkhatib.

Last but not least Jeeps are made not bought.
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

As per your requirements , I totally agree with Rahul advice as it will be the most suitable option .
What goes around , comes around .
BettyPo
Advance
Advance

Hi All, Hi too

I have a Jeep wrangler Sport JK Mabrouk with stock tires (245/70R16) I know its sad and stock 16"x7" rims even more sad. I plan to change the tires as well as rims.

I need your advice on the same.

Requirements:

1) want to have the widest tires/rims that are possible and which are good for desert driving ( best traction) 33" on 15R ?

2) don't want too much road noise..80% of my driving is on road and 20% offroad or maybe even less. the lighter the tire the less noise

3) don't want any loss in vehicle power you will loose, no matter what you change unless you put

4) don't want to do any modifications except maybe put wheel spacers or extended bumpstops..preferably would like to avoid even these modifications since my JK is still under warranty just don't touch the engine

5) would like to avoid "lifting" the vehicle, if possible. if you get bigger and wider tires, you have to unless you want the tires rubbing on your fenders when turning

6) would like to avoid "re-gearing" the jeep, if possible. I am ok with changing speedometer settings , if required.

Looks are not important to me...but the best traction is MOST important. Ring and Pinion

Questions:

Q1) Should i go for 15 inch or 16 inch or 17 inch rims? Can't make up my mind myself, but less rim and more tire will help in desert

Q2) Should i go for 8 or 9 or 10 or 11 or 12 inch wide rims? Wider should help you climbing...

Q3) What is best tire size which meets my above requirements?31 inch or 33 inch or more? what about 32"?

Q4) Which brand of tyres are best for offroading ( and economical as well) BFGoodrich, Copper, Nitto,Yokohama, etc? all of them, personal choice

Q5) Good places ( read economical) places to buy tires and rims. Would prefer shops who can buy back my existing tires and rims. No matter where you go, you may just get a wee bit back - Sharjah or dealer
yasir
Intermediate
Intermediate

I have one question about my Jeep Wrangler TJ,
Is it ok to remove Catalytic Converter from exhaust? Will it pass RTA test without it?