Hi-Lift jack

Fat Rabbit

Hello all,

New to this club, two questions..

Just wanted to know whether the Hi-Lift Jack is any good when stuck in the desert. Perhaps to lift the stuck wheel and place a sand ladder or something underneath the wheel?

Second, which tyre deflator would you guys recommend? So far I've been inserting a ball-point pen into the deflating pin and timing deflation for 70 seconds. I think its time for a proper deflating tool, although I dont want to remove the pin completely.

Thanks.
Where the road ends, the enjoyment begins..
With Natalie, a 2-door beige Nissan Patrol Safari
Big Red
Intermediate
Intermediate

A good couple of questions which you could have found out with the little search box on the top right ... ;)

But here goes Hi-lift Jack no good not too stable in the sand and if your car is at an angle it might hit the paint etc most of us have one of those small hydrolick jacks rated for up to 2 or 3 tonnes. And deflating tools there are a few ... ace sells a bushwacker one for up to 60 psi. Pwood introduced us to a viaair (Online) ..which is goes to 15 psi which is great as you want to get an accurate reading as possible and the most popular is an ARB (im not completely sure but i think i saw it at Ramy and Mebar) one which completely encloses the valve removes the pin (without you loosing it) and gives you a good reading up to 60psi.

Hope that helps.
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

1. The hi lift jack in my personal opinion would have more cons than pros if used on desert sand depending on the incline of where the jack is to be used. As mentioned by Big Red ...... most of us have the 2 ton hydraulic jacks which will generally serve the purpose ...... but they do look good mounted on your offroad rig though

2. I have the ARB deflator which is pretty good however ive shifted to the use of a electronic tire pressure gauge from bushranger and do it the old school way that is releasing the pin and monitoring the psi as i deflate. Both are good and pretty accurate .... its just a matter of preference

Hope this helps
Darshan

I agree with strawb and big red. But it comes to use when you least expect it to. We had a new raptor in our convoy with extra large tyres. When the tyres popped, we had no jack good enough to raise it to a decent height without having to dig a well underneath. Our backs was saved when DC pulled out his high lift jack and within no time we were on our way.

There was this other time when someone rolled, there was a pop on 3 tyres. While some others were trying to pull the plugs/start the engine/whack the roof back to shape etc, i was tasked with fixing popouts :029: :012: Again DC to the rescue!!! We fixed all the three tyres in no time.

I hate the added weight, the unstablity and the horror stories of its handle tearing into people's heads etc. And i will probably never buy one.

If you have the money and doint mind spending it on such things, then the best solution will be a CO2 system along with a power lift bag! Lift the car in 10 seconds and fill the tyre in another 30 seconds....Job done...back to fun!
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree with all. Hi-lift jack is fine but the stability is a problem, not an issue. I saw guys with this kind of jack, fighting at Wrangler between gravity and jack for half an hour, again and again...

In other case we had Hummer (6 Tons weight) with pop-out, where my innocent jack 2T started to bent. The situation was saved by another passing off-roader, who had hi-lift jack and we were pressing on the handle by two to lift it somehow... But the owner of Hummer didn't have any clue, that he should have some jack, capable to lift his weight.

Generally speaking, carry in your car, mainly the equipment that can help you in critical situation. Equipment to save others, is optional, and it depends on you if you want to have it loaded in your car or not. In areas like Sharjah desert a problem car can be easily recovered by other companies, specialized for recovering broken cars in a desert or us, but if you want to come with us to faraway deserted areas, like Liwa, we will carefully check, what kind of tools you have in your car.
Fat Rabbit

Thank you everyone for your insights and feedback.

I have large tyres on my TJ and was thinking that even with the additional accessory of the Hi-Lift jack (where you can directly lift from the tyre), the hooks would not fit on the TJ.. so i guess the Max Trax sand ladders are the only other decent option.

Thanks for the advice on the deflators too... :)
ZAK_EGYPT

Hi Aatif,
I have a TJ with a fixed Hi-Lift Jack on the hood it looks sexy and make the rig looks nicer, and with the proper accessories it will works fine with the big tyers (33" size as mine") but dont forget the base.
- concerning the deflator : ARB deflator ( the orange coloured one) its very reliable
Fat Rabbit

ZAK_EGYPT;21155 wrote:Hi Aatif,
I have a TJ with a fixed Hi-Lift Jack on the hood it looks sexy and make the rig looks nicer, and with the proper accessories it will works fine with the big tyers (33" size as mine") but dont forget the base.
- concerning the deflator : ARB deflator ( the orange coloured one) its very reliable
Thanks ZAK_EGYPT for your feedback. For now, I've given up on the idea of the hi-lift jack... after the halogen lights on my light bar were stolen overnight.. no point of tempting someone to steal the hi-lift jack as well. I know it can be locked, but then again, someone may just mess around with it so much that its rendered useless. I park in the paid parking area in Sharjah, so its open public area, not private parking. I havent yet bought a jack, I think I'll go to DM and get one of those 2 tonne hydraulic ones.

But you are right... the hi-lift jack makes the rig look more sexy... may get one in future just for that purpose :) haha

I got the EZ Deflator from Ramy.

Thanks again.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Aatif;21165 wrote:the hi-lift jack makes the rig look more sexy... may get one in future just for that purpose :) haha
Somehow I agree with you, that the main purpose of hi-lift jack nicely fitted next to spare wheel at Wrangler or on top of roof rack on FJ, looks beautiful. And it looks like only purpose, to look good... when the car is stuck or with pop-out. It is demanded to have enormous skills to use this device and additionally dangerous as it slips all the time. The force needed to lift the car, because of handling is at least two MP (Man Power).
It was shown in history that standard jack from DM (valued 80 Ds, 2T) can make the job within 5 minutes, comparing hours using Hi-Lift jack. On the other hand, if standard jack is weak to lift a heavy car (Hummer) only Hi-lift jack can help.
If you want to be a friend of all these said, get it. :010:
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

NOw my turn Guys :011:

Personally I love Hi Lift jack,,,,the reasons other than nice looks on the top of my DC are I tested it in different situation and it is proven.
Alot says you cant use Hi Lift jack in an inclined angle,,,,asking those who no jack can be used when your car is inclined so Hi Lift and the tiny jacks are the same. You have to bring your car to a flat ground to fix the pop out:012:

As Darshan said when all jacks Failed Hi Lift was called IN and it served the purpose on Raptor and the others.

Advantages:
1) Lifting time is less
2) Less efforts.
3) You can do self recovery in less than 15 mints when stuck if you drive solo.
4) Can lift any heavy car we see in these deserts.

Disadvantages:

You need to know how to use it safely.
Dont keep the handle in middle of your legs:011:
I am lucky I still have my right ear as one of my friend using it carelessly and the handle just touch my ear with a speed of 120 km/hour:012:

At the end of the day Hi Lift or low lift or no lift are personnel choices :010: