FJ ABS Kill Switches

Big Red
Intermediate
Intermediate

This is fantastic information ... Bu Salem if you could elaborate on the gear oil pump we could all benefit. Thanks to this thread i have decided that it is prob not worth putting it in and will work on my driving skills and dune reading to adjust my speed up and down the dunes.

Thank you
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

caprihorse;17180 wrote:Pls kindly can you stop speaking Chinese and give us, uneducated, the explanation, watafaka is TRAC and VSC?
LOl..if Capri can think he is uneducated then I must be illitrate for sure !
Melfi
Golden Member
Golden Member

Guys, this is great stuff. And it would be better if I could invite someone for coffee to actually illustrate all the theory with a toy FJ. Because as much as I think I understand 70% of the above, I'm still lost with 30. And my brain works visually, not that much with written or spoken words... :023:
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Darshan;17183 wrote:VSC is the normal stability control that you have on many vehicles. It cross checks the wheel speed and when it detects irregularity it tries to correct it by pulsing brakes around to make the vehicle stable. When the vehicle loses stability under slipperry conditions (Rain/Snow etc) the vsc engages in an effort to save the day.

On sand this engages all the time if not switched off and will bog you down.

ATRAC is advanced traction control, which works on an FJ at driver's discretion when in 4lo. It pretty much works the same way as VSC/ABS. When in stuck conditions on slippery/loose sand/rocks like terrain, if you switch on ATRAC, it senses which wheels are losing traction and pulses the brakes to be applied on the tractionless wheel so that the power is not lost but transferred to the other wheel on the other end of the same diff. So it works much like diff lock but in a different way. In sand however, the side effect is that ATRAC thinks that other wheels also does not have traction and cycles the brakes alternating between both front wheels (if rear diff lock is engaged) if not it cycles all wheels.

EDIT: This link explains it way better than i can. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/t ... -lock.html
This I already understand, but I was confused as Wasim was referring to Trac and A-Track...
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Melfi;17188 wrote:Guys, this is great stuff. And it would be better if I could invite someone for coffee to actually illustrate all the theory with a toy FJ. Because as much as I think I understand 70% of the above, I'm still lost with 30. And my brain works visually, not that much with written or spoken words... :023:
Melfi, you are at the moment practicing the best self-recovery techniques with FJ, I ever saw... I should say 'keep doing', but I say try not to do again... :028:, confused? :032:
Darshan

yup there is TRAC and then there is ATrac, visit the link and the good guys over there have tried to make sense of it all.
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

Melfi;17188 wrote:And my brain works visually, not that much with written or spoken words... :023:
The confession of the century!!
Mosalf

alshamsi_m;17171 wrote:Dear Big Red

Having the ABS locking is not that bad even if feels irritating for a new driver. After driving all these years in UAE and driving the FJ since 2008 I can tell you that FJ is an amazing machine and you need to put the attraction off and enjoy the ride

So kill switch is not recommended with all respect for old off-roaders who disable it

Regards
Hi Big Red, first of all a BIG thank you for starting this thread. It keeps us newbs and new owner of the fabled FJ glued to the thread. I for one have done two trips in the desert behind a marshal who loves his FJ. Both trips I got stuck and conducted self recoveries much to my own surprise and also glee. Once I had to be told I was not stuck by the Marshal and he said "When you are in the FJ, you are only stuck when you have tried everything which your car has to offer."

I need to learn the following. Driving technique while in L4, with Diff lock and Atrac on, what speed? when to turn off? How bad is ABS while driving in the sand and what is CV? Would highly appreciate if someone is willing to educate me in on this.
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Dear Big Red

While I was going through Arabic forum about Toyota I found one guy mentioning that you can open the fuse but opening the clip near by the small oil container effects the gear... the link to remove the FUSE... Sorry Darshan although you are not convinced but let me give you the explanation from the FJ clubs:

1. When you open the clip on the top you don't stop the ABS only you stop other Electronics[/][=2] from the computer board.
2.They still mentioned that the gear oil pump will stop after removing the clip on top " Will Get more details "
3. They Mentioned that many people who removed the clip end up with problems with 4 wheel deferential, specially the front one

Now to remove the ABS it is better to go to a electricians who must cut the wire for ABS only and not to switch off anything else !! the question is does it worth it ???

I'm going to update you once I get more details

Regards[/]
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
desert_hawk
Intermediate
Intermediate

Dear Bu Saliem and all,

what you are talking about the fuse might be correct, but the method I mentioned has nothing to do with the fuse or the connector, it goes by hacking into one of the wires near the driver side fuse compartment inside the cabin.
while doing this in my FJ 2008 model from 2009 till now, I never had any problem in regards to transmission oil over heating or any other things, it basically disables all the electronics, once I want them back, I just click the button on again without the need to switch the car off and on again.

the FJ is a great machine as you said, but you don't want the electronics to kick in in an unwanted time, only when needed ;)

regards