When a newbie went to desert without a Marshall/Leader.

Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

FSL;13082 wrote:hey bro, i know by now you've already got plenty of advices and you'd have realised the mistake yourself.
I just wanted to say this is one of the best flying FJ videos i've seen :028::045:

P.S: My liking should not be considered as encouragement...
LOL you should have see mine ! Flew over the top of a similar dune landed almost vertically on the nose and the car teetered for a minute deciding if it should come to rest on its roof or the wheels and them finally fell back on the wheels ...was toatlly amazing and in true slow motion too ! '
Big Red
Intermediate
Intermediate

Like Alshamsi said driving at any level comes down to basics and what all our marshals are tired of repeating is always survey the terrain and see what is on the other side before deciding to do that. Sand type, degree of sharpness, capabilities of car, possible consequences.

thank goodness you are ok and it really would be a good idea to get checked-up you just never know.
zeemmee

Wasif Ahmed;13091 wrote:LOL you should have see mine ! Flew over the top of a similar dune landed almost vertically on the nose and the car teetered for a minute deciding if it should come to rest on its roof or the wheels and them finally fell back on the wheels ...was toatlly amazing and in true slow motion too ! '
LOL thats's classified stuff bro !!��
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

zeemmee;13094 wrote:LOL thats's classified stuff bro !!��
But a great learning experience ....both in driving terms and in how to handle insurance claims !
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

My dear freind , am really glad you are safe and sound , there is nothing wrong in going to desert with freinds ( even the unexperienced ones ) the only thing i want to point out is , in those cases , the best thing to do is to stick with what you know , dont try to attempt new moves or try things that you are not sure and confident of doing safely . God bless you and keep you safe...

P.S ( Next time use your Cherokee XJ ....lol .. :033: )
What goes around , comes around .
Darshan

Wasif Ahmed;13097 wrote:But a great learning experience ....both in driving terms and in how to handle insurance claims !
I am sure that you don't have a video?
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

Darshan;13116 wrote:I am sure that you don't have a video?
I "do" stuff not videos !
walihali

I tried to search for a special word in all dictionaries including Merriam Webster to express my feeling, but there is no such word that I am looking for, I guess I have to create one, a brand new word. Special word will be for special family like Almost4x4 with nice Almosters inside there.

I’d like to thank you so much to you and let you know that I am so happy to see all responds from all of you, a unique respond with different style; I like all your comments :057:. You are all such a wonderful person Guys, the Founders, the Marshall, the Sweeper, and all lovely Members, no exception.

As George said, the message from this sharing experience is not to make the same mistake as I did, especially for the real newbie like me.

Believe me, when I was flying, I was feeling like…kind of empty? Didn’t know what to do, didn’t know what will happen and suddenly BOOOMB!! khalas! and silence, everything was silence for some time, could only hear the wind was whispering through the window…whispering something happened, but still did not realize what was that and next few seconds started hearing something is leaking beneath the engine, rush open the door, it was stuck and forced it, then I saw the radiator was crying so much with all coolant tear drops falling down to happily drunk by thirsty sand, and then looked at the cracked grill, LED, fog lamps, the whole face of my 1st wife, blacken FJ has gone, poor her, it was not her day that day, but who’s the driver?

Mistake Evaluation
Next day, felt a little pain on the neck but alhamdoolillah is gone now. Still did not realize why and how the damages happened, until watched the video.
  • First of all, the confident was not there. Because, this time I did it myself, alone and as Abu Jimmy said, this is a new move for me. I haven’t learnt this move yet from the experience Leader of Almost4x4. It is a big different travelling alone and with family, travelling with Almost4x4 leader, a full confident is always there, because they are showing the way.
  • Secondly, what I remember is, when climbing the dune, only sky was there with me, nothing else, but I did not remember what the color of the sky was, was it blue, grey or yellow:smile:? Still curious, why couldn’t I see the crest? Is it because of the bonnet of the FJ is high? So it’s blocking my sight from the crest of the dune? I was thinking if I could see the crest, I might be able to adjust the speed accordingly? Still I am not sure. Someone can help me? Thanks.
  • Is there any other mistake that is missed?
Lucky, Lucky and Lucky
Alhamdoolillah, this time I was lucky. Not sure next time the luckiness will be with me or you.

Please not to do the same mistake.

Love you all.
CAMEL
Intermediate
Intermediate

walihali;13131 wrote: Mistake Evaluation
  • Secondly, what I remember is, when climbing the dune, only sky was there with me, nothing else, but I did not remember what the color of the sky was, was it blue, grey or yellow:smile:? Still curious, why couldn’t I see the crest? Is it because of the bonnet of the FJ is high? So it’s blocking my sight from the crest of the dune? I was thinking if I could see the crest, I might be able to adjust the speed accordingly? Still I am not sure. Someone can help me? Thanks.
Love you all.
Ahh, now i understand why it happned, I thought you saw the crest and wanted to jump!!!

Ok, I think this was one of the first things i heard when i joined almost4x4, look below the driver side rear view mirror, when ou look at this angle you get a good idea at what you are approaching...

Hope this answers the question....Of course the Great marshals will correct me if i am wrong!!
desert_hawk
Intermediate
Intermediate

Although there is an undisputed visibility issue with the FJ, but you will be able to overcome it by practice, that's why everyone says you need to know your car, and that's why there are levels in the club, this way, you are not up in the ladder of upgrades till you know your car very well.

As with my FJ, many tricks to help you see what you can't see, one of them is to have a look before you even start the move, and estimate the distance, and this you should do with all cars, not only FJs, and when you reach the top, not the FJ nor any car will let you see the crest due to the angle.

The bottom line, whether you see the crest or not, it's better to get stuck at the top than fly, this is my rule and what I always say to my fellow offroaders.

Keep it safe.