Garmin Montana 600 Series Tips & Tricks

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Desert Fox;18349 wrote:Capri, I have a garmin Nuvi 2640 and have been using it on road and offroad with trip log. However, I want to buy a proper off road device in the near future, what do you recommend. The montana 600 is available for 1800 at Amit without road map for UAE.

How about using Ipad, i have seen several members in another club using IPAD with GPS Motion. Does it work?
Read here - http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... tion-Guide
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi Capri

I am busy upgrading my BirdsEye imagery for my Garmin 650.

I have most of Dubai and Al Badayer area in the lowest resolution in 2 files.

I am busy downloading the same area in the maximum resolution.
It will probably need to be split up into 20 files...... and it is taking a LONG time.

What did you do?

Regards
Paul
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

pwood;18358 wrote:Hi Capri

I am busy upgrading my BirdsEye imagery for my Garmin 650.

I have most of Dubai and Al Badayer area in the lowest resolution in 2 files.

I am busy downloading the same area in the maximum resolution.
It will probably need to be split up into 20 files...... and it is taking a LONG time.

What did you do?

Regards
Paul
I've downloaded all the files from Garmin BirdsEye server, one by one, in the highest resolution, each tile approx. 232 MB. It took me days and days with my 8MB fiber optics connection. To have the files in the lowest resolution does not make sense, it cannot be seen any detail.
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi Capri

Thanks. Guess i will just keep at it......

Regards
Paul
Mazaaj
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi guys,

Its been almost 3 weeks since I bought my new Montana 650 and I've noticed that there are few scratches on the screen so I just went to a phones shop and fixed a screen protector on it..the guy probably used the one for Galaxy S3 with some cutting. Its great for offroading and to keep ur screen clear. Can be changed from time to time and i guess it will live longer.
alfalasi
Advance
Advance

@mazaaj

Tell us why you bought the 650 and not the 600
Mazaaj
Golden Member
Golden Member

alfalasi;19235 wrote:@mazaaj

Tell us why you bought the 650 and not the 600
For almost4x4 orange color :028:
Nbaker
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hey guys,

I went yesterday to Sharaf DG in Times Square Center to buy the Montana 650, but it wasn't in stock. So I filled up a form requesting the item and since it wasn't in stock they gave me a 100 Dirham discount voucher. In case any of you were planning to buy it, might as well go today before it comes in stock tomorrow and get the voucher as well. Myself, I'll use the voucher to buy the mount.
zarir
Intermediate
Intermediate

Guys please check out the price from AMIT (Garmin Dealer) before buying the same from Adventure HQ or Sharaf DG. When I bought my 650 a few months ago the price quoted by AMIT was AED 200 cheaper than Adventure HQ and AED 350 cheaper than Sharaf DG.
Nbaker
Intermediate
Intermediate

zarir;20953 wrote:Guys please check out the price from AMIT (Garmin Dealer) before buying the same from Adventure HQ or Sharaf DG. When I bought my 650 a few months ago the price quoted by AMIT was AED 200 cheaper than Adventure HQ and AED 350 cheaper than Sharaf DG.
Thanks for the heads up Zarir. I just called AMIT now, it costs 2,200 AED but it's out of stock. Sharaf sells it for 2,440. If you get the discount voucher then it's 2340. What would make me prefer to buy it from Sharaf is that I can pay the amount in a 0% installment plan for 6 months since they have a promotion with Emirates NBD and I think with some other banks as well.