Catch me if you can XI

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Post by caprihorse » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:27 am

[quote=Dave;35125]Pop outs are ok once or twice for the experience gained in repairing them. I normally have my front tyres deflated down to 12psi but decided on Friday to try 10psi. I won't be down that low again any time soon......![/quote]
Standard pressure for any Nissan is 10 psi (with certified gauge), in Liwa it is 8 psi ...
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Post by caprihorse » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:32 am

[quote=Green Giant;35111]I am fully aware that it is largely driver error when popouts happen, but I have never had one before and I dont think I was driving any differently to normal. [/quote]
Pop-out is the matter of driving style. If you didn't experience any until now, maybe you did drive on the edge, but convoy driving style didn't show you harder times until now. Maybe this time you pushed harder as usually and MDG welcomed you to the real world telling: "Wake-up, Giant, I'm waiting for you at the next level ..."
:patapon:
mike
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by mike » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:23 pm

Anticpation and excitement was running high at 7:30 Friday morning. Our convoy set off after a delay waiting for the first convoy to move, then it began.

The climb up the step face of fosil rock was the first challenge, and after loosing my momentum, I had to take a slightly lower path than the lead cars, I wasn't alone.
Down fossil rock, and it was my turn to lead, thought Capris notorious pop out gulley - twice just to check MDG was not going to claim anyone.

The pace quickened afetr Alshamsi suggest AlKhatib was driving like his mother!

Then, perhaps I was a little distracted by Annie Lennox, or just got conplacent traveling over the smaller dunes on the way to Big red, but I came over a small dune, and had a pop out on my right front tyre. Repaired fairly painlessly with the assistance of my buddy Oxana - thanks. Then when I climbed back in to set off again, I couldn't engage 4x4!
It seems that when I leant in through the car window to knock the selector into neutral, the small ball joint on the linkage came adrift. Nothing too serious climbed underneath and was able to pull on the selector bar to engage 4x4 again.

Of we set again, up Big red and finally to inflation point. Great drive and thanks to all the marshals and advanced guys who were so helpful.

See you next time....

Mike
Yoghybear
Golden Member
Golden Member

Post by Yoghybear » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi all,
I would like to spend a few words on Catch Me if You Can XI......
First of all, thank you to all drivers who attended this trip, I know that most of you were under pressure, this is quite normal, a lot of words were spent on this event, and the reputation of the event once again has not been contradicted.
Nevertheless I would like to point out the good performance of everyone, I did push a bit hard , it was probably the first time for you to face such a trip level, but it was necessary to show you what (at minimum) is waiting for you.....in any case, congrats to all, I am proud of you!
Thanks a lot also to my buddies, Abu Jimmy, Strawb and Rashidjass for the great support, last but not least, thanks a lot to Zorro who did a huge job to get Tornado ready for this trip, maybe some of you is not so happy about that :032:...... but no illusion guys, I can assure you that with the Turtle it would have been even worse......:011:
See you soon in the sand
Cheers
Dave
Advance
Advance

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:59 pm

All the thanks goes to you Yoghy for a brilliant Friday morning, and also to Abu Jimmy, Strawb and RashidJass for helping me fix my pop out as quick as possible. It's not a nice feeling to be holding everyone up. I much prefer waiting for someone else to fix their pop out......!

As Caprihorse stated earlier today, you did push us a little more than usual. But that's the best way to gain a little more from the drive. Both Jeremy and I suffered our first pop outs with the club and it took us both by surprise. For me it was the error of carrying a little extra speed into a sharp turn at the crest of a dune,with many ruts from the preceding cars and too much lock on the steering.

I took home more from this drive than any other. That's what's counts. Again, thanks for the lesson. And keep the pressure up!
Maddie

Post by Maddie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:32 pm

Wider tyres on narrow rims OR Narrow tyres on wider rims cause many popouts I suppose? Dave, Jeremy, was that a cause for you guys?

Sorry for a newbie question though:045:
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Green Giant » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:07 pm

[quote=Maddie;35178]Wider tyres on narrow rims OR Narrow tyres on wider rims cause many popouts I suppose? Dave, Jeremy, was that a cause for you guys?

Sorry for a newbie question though:045:[/quote]
Not in my case Maddie - 11.5" tyres on 10.5" rims - never had a pop out before - as Capri mentioned driving on the edge! I do have new tyres and only 3rd time out with them at a much higher demand level. I am going to check again my pressure gauge and also replace the valves, as although new, they are pretty weak and I have had a couple of flat tyres just sitting in my garage.
fida
Advance
Advance

Post by fida » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:08 pm

Over the years, what I learnt after having lot of pop outs especially in capriland , I would like to share my experiences.
1- let's start from Fida's ditch. The special formation of continues sideway incline is the culprit where Madame Gravity is pulling you and you feel that your car has no power or something is seriously wrong with your car. That's where a panic behavior is automatically adopted whether you want it or not. Fida ditch is exactly on the other side of a sharp side crest where if you don't have right momentum, you will hardly cross the crest but then !!!!! You have been caught by my ditcg which is the home town of MDG. (Madam Desert Ghost). So the key is to maintain right momentum and cross this crest side ways (side cresting) without breaking the momentum. If you try any harder or other way, you will have a pop out.

2- After crossing Fida's ditch, you will be caught by Madam Ghost sleeping all the way upto Fossil Rock drop. She will be constantly pulling you side ways and if you try any hard turns or let your car's rear part slide more than normal, a pop out is guaranteed.

After the drop, when you are heading north west, you will feel bit calm but there comes a lot of sharp crests, vertical climbs and some technical turns followed by sharp slips all the way till camel rock.

This is is a special trip and the drive is on intermediate level. So if some of you have faced difficulty with pace of the drive, don't be surprised. It's just the beginning.

There is lot of material available in the library of our club website on how to avoid pop outs and I will just add few points which will help you in changing your driving style as Caprihorse mentioned above.

1- Always watch the car in front of you to determine the difficulty level of the terrain and build you momentum accordingly. If you are too slow, you will eventually fight the gravity to cross/climb the dune which will result in pop out ( in worst cases a roleover)

2- keep your tyres' direction always straight towards the side where you heading. It's the key and you will see the difference immediately. Keep your tyres straight whether climbing, descending, side slopping. Whatever you do, if you can manage to keep your tyres straight, you will never have pop out.

3- avoid sharp turns. Which is basic rule and you can have apop out even on a flat ground with sharp turns so how about turning sharply on top of dunes. ! During intermediate drives, you will drive on higher speeds and that's where you need to have proper control of your car movement, tyre directions and smooth turns. Low PsI got nothing to do in most of the cases but it's the way you handle your car on higher speeds.

One be last thing, having a pop out or getting stuck is part of driving in dessert and these incidents should not let you feel disappointed or nervous. The key is "KEEP DRIVING AND YOU WILL LEARN EVERYTHING AT RIGHT TIME".
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Post by caprihorse » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:22 am

Some photo documentation on the pop-out reasons is here - http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... y-Pop-Outs
yasir
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by yasir » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:16 am

[quote=caprihorse;35190]Some photo documentation on the pop-out reasons is here - http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... y-Pop-Outs[/quote]

Very True! Pop-out could happen even at 15 or 20 PSI if driving style will be totally wrong.