General consensus on beadlocks for desert driving

Gorgin4325

Hi guys,

Besides getting stuck in sand, having a pop-out seems to be the most frequent issue we face in the desert.

Obviously we all know what causes a pop-out. In a beadlock rim, the tire cannot be separated from the rim unless either a bunch of bolts are unscrewed, or the tire is ripped or damaged.

For those of you with more knowledge and experience, what are the pros and cons of using beadlocks for desert driving and dune bashing?

Thanks,
George
Gorgin4325

And for those that are not familiar with beadlocks, this videos gives you an idea:

[video=youtube;KIYrGJmHM78][/video]
NaSeR
Golden Member
Golden Member

Useful but it looks very complicated!! building a skills to avoid pop out is more convenient :011:
Gorgin4325

NaSeR;8633 wrote:Useful but it looks very complicated!! building a skills to avoid pop out is more convenient :011:
Its not really complicated Naser. I had them on my RC Monster Trucks!!!! LOL

But seriously, installing them the first time is a bit of work, but afterwards its simple to maintain. I just don't know if they are really practical in the desert and low air pressure.
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

Check with the RTA as far as I am aware beadlock rims are illegal on the road !

The look cool and the concept is great but it is far more of use rock crawling where you are running 3 to 4 PSI not for desert driving
delta83
Advance
Advance

cool idea George, but i guess this will only restrict the outer tire side wall of poping out, but the inner side can still pop out, btw this is the funniest way i saw to install tire on a rim... you can easily end up with an injured knees and broken teeth LOLOL
Gorgin4325

Wasif Ahmed;8635 wrote:Check with the RTA as far as I am aware beadlock rims are illegal on the road !

The look cool and the concept is great but it is far more of use rock crawling where you are running 3 to 4 PSI not for desert driving
Thanks Ahmed. I knew you'd jump in!

I can only conclude that the more air pressure you run, the better it is for the tire. Since I run no less than 9 psi on my car, they might be beneficial!!??

As far as RTA goes, there are a ton of beadlock look-a-likes on the market, and if you are not really into this stuff, its pretty hard to tell if they are real or fake. So that is not my concern. Also, its not like I'm ready to go and buy a set this afternoon or anytime soon!

I'm more interested to hear opinions on their practicality and performance in our terrain.

Thanks
Gorgin4325

delta83;8636 wrote:cool idea George, but i guess this will only restrict the outer tire side wall of poping out, but the inner side can still pop out, btw this is the funniest way i saw to install tire on a rim... you can easily end up with an injured knees and broken teeth LOLOL
LOL yeah, it was very funny. Specially in slow motion!!!!

About pop-outs, most of the time the pop-out starts from the outer side of the rim, then it causes the inner side to pop out. I could be wrong of course. But this is my general understanding.
FSL

Based on what i read and understood, their usage is terrain-dependent so it can be used wherever you need to lower down the tire pressure let it be rock climbing or dune bashing.

But then i guess 10-12psi is a tire pressure that you can easily manage with your skills only without using the beadlocks. (As per your own track record, 1 pop-out in 25+ drives, that's not bad at all)... But then one can face some unavoidable circumstances that result in a pop-out.

So i guess in the end it's your own call to either go for it or opt out.
Gorgin4325

I agree with you Faisal.

Personally, I like light weight wheels. And the beadlocks don't look like their that light!

Thanks for your response guys.