Siam Tires

Gorgin4325

Hi guys,

Since I got into off-roading, I've been paying attention to other 4x4 cars and noticed that a lot of the boosted Patrols and Landcruisers in Dubai run Siam Tires. I tried searching online and there isn't much info on them and they only seem to be popular in our region.

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with these tires, and if you could share your experience with us.

Thanks,
G
FSL

George, even i had the same questions in my mind...

These tires are very famous among shababs. These are also called baloon tires and theoretically they are very good as in sand the tires are supposed to float rather then grip. But how good they are practically is what i want to know too.

Although some of offroaders i know say siams are very good in sand.

Got to wait for someone who has knowledge or experience about these tires to comment on it.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

There are two types of balloon tyres used here in the desert. One from Thailand and one from India. Both are similar in the construction, where the profile has only few straight riles and very tough sidewalls. You can drive them even with zero pressure, to have maximum touching area with the sand. It's quite difficult to get pop-out.

At driving they don't dig into the sand, compared with mud tyres, so it's quite difficult to get stuck, even in a very soft sand. On the other hand they don't hold the track, so at side driving or cresting it is very difficult to make it, as they slide down with the gravity and many times additional circles are needed to pass the edge of the dune. Generally this type of tyres requires highly advanced skills and is not advisable to put them on the cars with low power. Typically good behaviour of the tyres is only with Patrol (Y60, Y61) or Landcruiser, ideally equipped with difflocks. In Liwa most of the camel farm owners have they Patrols equipped with Siam, as they are most of the time driving alone during the day or night. (I very much admire these drivers).

It's also quite difficult to drive this tyres on tarmac, it's like to drive on snow and ice and again, certain advanced skills are needed to handle properly the car and not to fly-out of the road at the first roundabout.
NaSeR
Golden Member
Golden Member

90% of UAE guys use this type of tires because it looks nice and gives more style to the car. I used to drive Nissan patrol in the old days and it was nice and comfortable but very slippery and dangerous on wet road (nice for drifting :011:). Every morning you will feel the triers very bumpy but it will go after few minutes of driving.
Sarookh
Advance
Advance

Hey Naser,

Am not sure if you are talking about the tires wish are known locally for 900 or balloon, if it is the case then i can tell you that i use to have a Nissan capsule (1 Door) and i had them install in it, what i remember that they drive smooth and efficiently in the desert and most thing i remember about that it use to be very easy for me to drive the car sideways and the turns could be done easier than expected but the down side of it was that you have to do the tires balancing and crossing frequently otherwise the car driving on the road will be a continuous adrenaline rush :015:.
FSL

Sarookh;7151 wrote: Am not sure if you are talking about the tires wish are known locally for 900 or balloon.
@sarookh... yes they are the infamous 900 aka تسعمائة
my cousin in getting these for his patrol so i'll take it for a spin to see the difference.
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

those 900's are only good on sand ...that to only DRY sand ...if the sand it wet then your offroading is practically done.

They are not at all suited for tarmac driving....absolutely no grip......you have to be really carefull while accelerating and stopping.

In the rain on tarmac .....you need God to be on your side to survive.

I would stay far far away from such tires.
Gorgin4325

Great info. Thanks guys
zeemmee

I love these tires,I will buy a patrol just for these tires :060:, even though some may describe these as waxed legs...
According to rumor mill Qatar was planning a ban on them..
Sarookh
Advance
Advance

Wasif Ahmed;7156 wrote:those 900's are only good on sand ...that to only DRY sand ...if the sand it wet then your offroading is practically done.

They are not at all suited for tarmac driving....absolutely no grip......you have to be really carefull while accelerating and stopping.

In the rain on tarmac .....you need God to be on your side to survive.

I would stay far far away from such tires.
Unless you buy a new car and you dedicate it for offroading, you can get these tires fitted :011: