Spark Plugs

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

VINU WARRIOR;6558 wrote:Very informative discussion and thank you all for the knowledge shared.

I just want to clear my silly doubt.

Is it required to change the cable attached to plug also to get the enhanced performance. I read in a form that unless you change the cable, you wont get the actual results from the high performance plugs. Is the cable has anything to do with the spark?
It depends on what is your system. Old types have mechanical (or electronic) distributor and carbon cables, with carbon in core and outside (typically black colour), so the high power voltage is directly distributed from the central coil to spark plugs. In later models each spark plug is equipped with a little coil, doing high voltage job.
Carbon cables ends can be restored cutting the ends and screw back the plastic fittings.
Generally as a matter of rule of thumb, all these cables should be permanently clean from dust and dirt, as it can cause the sparks between the cables and the engine may misfire, not getting the right voltage to plugs.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

FSL;6563 wrote:definitely... the wires play an important role.

Even right now I'm having issues with wires. Although I've got new plugs but the wires are old, hence a lot of carbon buildup around the ends.
The result is rough acceleration with hesitating engine response specially at lower speed range.
If you have carbon wires, probably the good idea would be to change them to copper, or try to cut the both ends and screw back the plastic connectors.
FSL

caprihorse;6565 wrote:If you have carbon wires, probably the good idea would be to change them to copper, or try to cut the both ends and screw back the plastic connectors.
This is what I'm getting :P
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COUITW/
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

FSL;6576 wrote:This is what I'm getting :P
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COUITW/
I know a shop in Sharjah, which is MSD oriented - Golden Car, 3rd Industrial Road, between Mercedes and GECO...
FSL

caprihorse;6595 wrote:I know a shop in Sharjah, which is MSD oriented - Golden Car, 3rd Industrial Road, between Mercedes and GECO...
I've visited them and compared the prices, amazon is cheaper even including the shipping cost.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

FSL;6596 wrote:I've visited them and compared the prices, amazon is cheaper even including the shipping cost.
Nothing new, it's UAE, so the prices are rocketing and many wants to be a billionaire overnight :008:
FSL

[quote=caprihorse;6601]Nothing new, it's UAE, so the prices are rocketing and many wants to be a billionaire overnight :008:[/quote]
and because there aren't many specialty shops in UAE so they don't even bother to entertain bargaining...
But i guess amazon is the best option for me so far.
VINU WARRIOR

caprihorse;6564 wrote:It depends on what is your system. Old types have mechanical (or electronic) distributor and carbon cables, with carbon in core and outside (typically black colour), so the high power voltage is directly distributed from the central coil to spark plugs. In later models each spark plug is equipped with a little coil, doing high voltage job.
Carbon cables ends can be restored cutting the ends and screw back the plastic fittings.
Generally as a matter of rule of thumb, all these cables should be permanently clean from dust and dirt, as it can cause the sparks between the cables and the engine may misfire, not getting the right voltage to plugs.
Thanks, I will get these checked.
Maddie

Bought Mopar OEM spark plugs for my TJ, turned out nickel ???

Any insights chief?
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

MaddieTJ;27023 wrote:Bought Mopar OEM spark plugs for my TJ, turned out nickel ???

Any insights chief?
Any part number? Before I say something?