Falcon

David
Intermediate
Intermediate

Love going to Umm Al Zamoul, nothing compares to this area, just impressive in every single possible way.

Great camping spot, same chain as for "Heads will roll" but 4kms further inside. Night was fantastic, great conversation, full of stars and a light blanket was even required.

We moved one chain North for the drive, we had been there for sometime with Singh during Heads will roll but the circumstances were very different at that time. Optimus said it in one of the breaks, we came 2months too late, sand very very soft, it got hot (39C at lunch time) and the light was a massive issue.

I was positioned towards the end of the convoy which meant having to look for clean sand and a new approach angle in almost every big climb, after 2-3cars the line of the leading car would have already crumbled completely so a lot of attention was required on this drive. Luckily I enjoy having to move the lines and angles slightly so I was prepared for what was coming.

Convoy struggled to get momentum in the morning session, conditions were not easy, Optimus did a fantastic job at finding lines and angles but there were too many interruptions. In my opinion the main handicap was the light, I was shocked at how bad conditions were from 11AM to around 2PM, I struggled with the light even at the back of the convoy so I can only imagine how it was for Optimus leading in those massive dunes!!!

As always driving back to Dubai with a big smile on my face, thank you Optimus for arranging the drive and taking such a difficult lead under those conditions, Rashid & Scorpio for always being there to help, Mahmood and Orlantsev for the support and my very very dear intermediate friends for another fantastic day on the sand, love driving with you guys!!!

Since Marshalls read this and I am already writing ... I know getting hot but also days getting longer so ... Umm al Zamoul is far but Al Wagan (Optimus I know you like it ...) not that bad so any possibility for interm drive there (we have not been in long time and need to check if dunes still in the same place) with a post lunch start (2PM???) and driving until sunset???, no time for recoveries before dark if something happened but let's hope all goes well ...

See you on the sand soon!!!
CARLOSS
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi everyone!

Falcon drive was a blast! We normally have 3 or 4 drives which are 10 out of 10, spotless, per season and this was definitely one of them. In comparison with previous year “Heads will Role” which I did in the “baby’s” interm convoy this one was far more challenging and adventurous.

Even though it was scheduled a bit late with summer knocking our doors still, night camping was pleasant and day temperature was below 40C so no complains however, massive light was an issue till noon time. Nobody to be blamed, and if any, only Mother Nature.

As mentioned by David, it was unbelievable how “Master Architect of the Dunes” Optimus managed to get “gold” with this massive light exposure, but he did it on a “brilliant” way and we are very thankful for that as the playground itself is outstanding.

I was (again) honored with the second lead position during the morning part, thanks a lot Optimus for your confidence in me, and oh man! Following him it was both challenging and enjoyable at the same time as I could witness how the dunes are read and lines executed in a VIP seat. Tons of lessons learned taken form this position. And plenty of fun.

Last time I was his second lead (in Old Sweihan, I recall), I lasted only 10 min due to a cut tire so I am very happy and relieved because this time I managed to survive without any major issue. Congrats to me.

In the afternoon I was requested to join the back of the convoy which gave me a different angle. As mentioned many times before, driving at the back is not about driving but surviving which it takes a different set of skills and it was great as well. Light conditions were much better and flow improved a lot and we have some memorable set of continuous dunes in a row with massive arches, side cresting and dunes’ switches. Very nice 2-3 hours after lunch we got…only with all, the whole drive was already paid off.

A few hours after the drive I am still reviving the drive in my head with a stupid smile in my face: What I did wrong, what I did right, the fellowship with my fellow interm helping each other, marshals’ support from Mr. “Everywhere” Rashid and “Master Tailor of the Dunes” Scorpio, support and advice from our fellow Advance Mahmood and Orlantsev.

I would like to close this trip report by thanking to all “Falcon” drive participants, specially Marshals, for organizing, leading and taking care of us & exposing themselves and their cars to extreme conditions without asking anything in return. Some would have left the convoy with cars with mechanical issues but they did not let us down. Almost’s Marshals are the best of the best.

See you soon
Carlos
Sorin
media
media

Hi everyone,

I was among the last to arrive at camp along with Ehab and the three Marshals Optimus, Scorpio & Rashid.

We had a mini drive at night among the dunes until we reached the camp. We found a small lit fire but nobody around it… strange… where was everyone? Were they taken by zombies? Just kidding, they went far from the fire to sleep but right on our track to the camp so I think we bothered everyone a bit Psmiley
Orlantsev thought that by camping next to the fire he wouldn’t be bothered but he was wrong, we were especially chatty that night around the fire grin

Went to be late around 1 AM, right next to the fire and Rashid left me with one last sentence: check under your tent in the morning! I did, I didn’t like what I found (see pic below) thumbsup

We started driving and I was taken away by the beautiful and martian-like scenery. We entered the neighboring chain and we played and played and played on the most attractive dunes.

I really wish the light was better as sometimes it was impossible to see the edge of the dune when approaching it at high speed.

Nevertheless it was one of THOSE drives that will be remembered for years to come and in case my memory fails me, I made a short video with some of the nicest moments.

Thank you Optimus, you were fantastic and thank you Scorpio & Rashid for the needed assistance and thank you to the advance members.

I approve this message ⬆️
Mahmoodyasin
Advance
Advance

Hi everyone
Its always special to return to this side of the country, lot of good and challenging memories reside here. I thought we wont get a taste of these amazing dunes this winter but thanks to the organising team, we got here before the summer officially kicks in.
As described by others they all camped a night before and i was the only one to arrive in the morning….Got a bit late due arranging some last minute cravings for some cars and their driver's. grin
The drive was held at the parallel chain from the camp, where the sand was white and the dunes were huge. It seemed like a very challenging area and with the sun at vertical, crests became much more difficult to asses for the leading car.....hats off to @optimus for his courage of driving blind and maintaining the pace. thumbsup
Two thrilling drive sessions with a Water melon break in-between... was the Gist of the day. :yuush:
Since there were more than usual start stop sessions i would like to share my observation backed with experience, that CAN be considered to improve the skills At this level. have a nice day
- Maintaining distance is great but not too far that the car... in front is lost.
- To climb till the end and enjoy the crest, choosing the right line is very important….fresh tracks, holding rpm....should be considered.
- In order to keep the car on the higher side of the dunes, maintaining the right momentum is necessary, call out for 2nd try and then circling right at the back of the convoy, enables the convoy to maintain the flow and moreover the adrenaline arrow remains up. (reset of convoy order can be done at next stop),
- Getting to know your car and adapting with its capability will allow one to make necessary changes to the driving style.
* With the potential we have, I'm confident that with some more practice and frequent visits to these challenging areas will help master the skills.
At the end i would like to Thank @optimus for arranging the drive @rashid & @scorpio for watching our backs, @orlansve for the support and all the intermediates for a wonderful company!
special thanks to @shamsi M for giving the nod for this drive. (You were missed).

till next time
Mahmoodyasin
white fj cruiser
(Blizzard)
orlantsev
Advance
Advance

Hello all,

my camping gear is in storage and I did not plan to pull it out until the end of the summer, but then this trip was posted. Last year when I attended "heads will roll" I left Abu Dhabi before 5 am and came back at 9.30 pm totally exhausted. I was not going to repeat that ordeal, so I decided to leave early, pass by Mussafah to buy the replacement jack for the one that failed last week, and pick up the tent from the storage. Finished ell these errands by 3.30 and headed to the meeting point. Getting firewood this season is not so easy, especially when the only language you speak is English and Russian, but I managed to scavenge some in Al Quah. While deflating I was joined by Pedro. It was the same entry point as last year and I still had the track to the camp in GPS, so I initially went there, before Pedro confirmed that it was a different one this time. We reached the camping spot just before sunset.

I initially attempted to erect my temporary house on the dune, but it was windy. The moment I think I fix one side of the tent and move to another side, the first side gets carried away by the wind and I start all over again. I had to abort that idea, descend down, and ask Pedro to help. So the location of my tent was not a deliberate attempt to over hear conversations of the late comers, but the result of me being out of camping practice.

There was a good attendance around the camp fire, but I think all realized it was a challenging day ahead of us. Due to very weak signal it was a good gadget detox as well. Surprisingly I slept really well. It is funny when you are in the tent you hear the engine noise much clearer to a point that you think next minute you will be run over.

It took me good 45 minutes to fix jerry cans, fold bed and tent in the morning. @sorin and Tom went for some strange morning exercise climbing the dune on foot. We started slightly later than planned around 9 am. Finally, I was the only non-FJ in a convoy.

As it has been narrated earlier, the start was a bit inconsistent. I was assigned to sweep, but occasionally had to over take the struggling cars, so at times I happened to be a bit ahead, before returning to the back.

The big sharp dunes in the area are magnificent and offer so many opportunities. These long combinations of bowls are a special treat. Due to summer temperatures and high RPMs my engine light came on. With Nissan you tend to ignore these lights, but I still decided to give it a bit of rest and every time there was a stop I opened the hood to let it cool down.

Many may not realize that being in the back provides one unique advantage. Sometime the lead car goes to explore and test the route, half of the convoy follows, before deciding to come back. In the meantime, you wait until the senseless motion is over and join the fun once it is sure convoy is moving. You literally do not have to move. I think because of this I still had fuel in the tank when we finished at 3.40.

I had a long stop at the petrol station to empty jerry cans, reset the battery and clean the car, before leaving Al Quah.

Thanks to everyone who participated.
Tomvanhouten
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi everyone,

Umm al Zamool at the end of April!! What a treat, cannot describe it in any other way.
The sands are really getting soft now and, as many said before me, the light becomes another challenge. I say challenge, as it is great to have such circumstances. Although, you don't see much, that sixth sense has to kick in and it was for me another way of practicing.

After lunch break it became very windy, adding to the challenge, especially at the back. The wind over those messed up tracks on the crests, makes it completely disappear and we really needed aim the car correctly and accurately.

All and all, I had a lovely day, full of thrills, challenges and most of all a lot of fun!!

Thank you @optimus, @Rashidjass and @scorpio for the great day and of course our advance members.

Looking forward to the next one in this area (nevermind the distance or season Psmiley )

Tom
PedroLeal
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello Almosters,
This drive started the day before for most of us, since the meeting location was 3 hours driving distant from Dubai, so the best option was to camp the night before.

The Camping
I arrived the deflation point around 6pm to find @orlantsev already there deflating.
Upon deflation, we drove together to the basecamp location, setup our tents and prepared the campfire while waiting for the others to arrive.
It was dark already when @David arrived, and later on, @CARLOSS together with @Tomvanhouten and @Rathica.
We spent an enjoyable time chit-chatting around the fire, but the next day was expected to be a long one, so we all decided to dismiss and go to sleep.
Already in the tent and preparing to sleep, we heard a mini convoy coming. It were the late comers @sorin and @Ehab arriving together with marshals @Optimus, @Scorpio and @Rashidjass.
We all met each other in the morning for a relaxed breakfast while waiting for @mahmoodyasin.

The Drive
With everyone ready to start, @Optimus, @Scorpio and @Rashidjass gave us a briefing of what to expect from the drive ahead, some good advices, and the definition of convoy order.
I could notice some concern on marshals faces when they found that I came to this drive with my bone stock FJ, so @Optimus decided to place me as 3rd car, right after the 2nd lead @CARLOSS.
I must tell that this was the most serious and challenging drive I've ever done so far.
The dunes were huge, the walls were steep, the sand was very soft, and the sunlight was making everything bright and flat white.
Nevertheless, @optimus was taking us to a level where I've never been before, very much impressive.
The second tries were frequent, since playing safe was the motto, but also gave us the opportunity to try different lines and approaching angles, and understand the differences. These are good points taken for future drives.
Driving a bone stock FJ has been a good experience learning the car, and I am truly impressed by the car capability. Of course that I felt some handicap for not having a better traction on soft sand sidewalls due to not having proper suspension and tires, but still the FJ did a pretty good job!
Also, the fuel cut feature once the engine revs reach the limiter caused some loss of power during some climbs, but that is something that I was learning to manage and improving along the day.
The day was very hot, so the convoy did a break to take a rest under a shade and enjoy a nice and cold watermelon!
We resumed the drive with a change in 2nd lead where @optimus swapped @CARLOSS with @Ehab.
The sunlight conditions improved significantly after 2pm, which allowed the convoy to make the crests with more confidence, which also improved the convoy flow.
But still, the drive level was very high and the weather was hot, so there were some climbs where I had to switch off the A/C to get that extra engine power to successfully complete it. It was insane!
I will remember this drive for a long time for sure, and the learnings taken from it.
I cannot thank enough @optimus for organizing and leading the drive, providing us an amazing experience while exposing himself to such high risk.
Thank you also to @scorpio and @Rashidjass for watching out for us and for the valuable advices given.
And thank you to the advance drivers @Mahmoodyasin and @Orlantsev for the support, and to my amazing fellow intermediates for the companionship and good advices as well.

I cant wait to do it again!
See you soon in the sand,
Pedro
Ehab
media
media

The day of second tries, Falcon trip in Al Quaa - Um Zamoul

Early last year Dagerfall took us to Alqudra and i though that trip was the record of second tries, that was a snack.

Last year Um Alzamoul trip was breathtaking where we had a very smooth and fast pace drive, i was prepared for something similar and honestly i was not expecting anything more than what we had last year but I forgot that i am driving with Almost4x4 🤦🏻

Very long way to reach the area, camping with best company and nice weather, early morning everyone was ready for the action and off we go. It was not long till we realized that this is something different, longer climbs on very soft sand and cresting on very sharp edges with very limited visibility, it was a blast.

It took me a while to process what was happening, i made the most second tries and the single popout in the trip was also mine. i am still learning the FJ and adapting to its gear and engine. I was not doing the crest until i was 100% comfortable it was the right angle and speed. I had to change the line few times trying to get more traction and it was extremely challenging, salute to our marshals who spend all the time during the drive finding the best track and deciding the best approach in milliseconds.

I spent full day going through the recordings reflecting on my performance trying to be better off-roader and also finding the best clips which give the audience an idea what those drives look like. I hope mission is accomplished, i created the video and watched the last version more than 20 times but did not get enough of it, i hope you like it, enjoy watching.

optimus
Marshal
Marshal

Drive : Falcon
Level : Intermediate
Area : Umm Zamoul, Al Quaa
Lead & Organizer : Myself
Supporting Marshal : @rashid @scorpio
Adv Support : @Mahmoodyaseen & @orlantsev

The drive Falcon was named after 2 things, a bird & F-16 jet aka fighting falcon. Both are famous for their speeds. :ka_boom: melt
Initially the plan was to conduct the drive in Al Wagan but later we decided that lets go to Al Quaa & explore a different chain this time.
Exploration trips are fun and exciting but dangerous at the same time. After doing some homework, a camping spot & the chain to be explored were selected. thumbsup

Myself Rashid & Scorpio drove together. At the entrance to sabkha gate we were joined by Ehab & Sorin. The drive to the camping point was smooth and no issues on the way
In the morning the scene we woke up was amazing!!. in love
After the morning routine we were good to go!...I won’t tell much about the drive since most of it has already been said on the above trip reports. killzonesmiley

I just want to thank all my intermediate convoy for this amazing day! cool

@carloss
@david
@ehab
@pedro
@rathica
@sorin
@tom

See you on the next adventure!
Optimus
Black FJ (The Godfather)
Scorpio
Marshal
Marshal

Hello Everyone,

Due to heavy work on the weekdays, I am finding it hard to write trip reports, but this drive necessitates a report even if it means overtime brigade.baka-wolf.com

A lot has been mentioned in the earlier reports about the camp and the drive so, I will just directly share my observation to help the members understand what is required to drive on huge dunes and how to keep up with the convoy pace:

* More than the power; it’s the momentum that will be your best friend on those dunes. If you do not have enough momentum, you cannot climb based on car power due to the sheer size of the dunes

* When you are climbing and start losing momentum, learn how to play with the rpm and steering movement

* Vehicles with the rpm limiter are tricky and requires you to have educated ears (it’s risky to watch the rpm meter instead of the terrain in front) to know when to release the pedal to avoid hitting the limiter threshold; it would come with experience

* The highest line is not always the best line
> After climbing, if you have to carry on the dune wall for some time before reaching the crest, you will travel horizontally on the wall and the gravity will start to pull you down and you will find it hard to do the side crest
> Try to find a line that is not very high and not very low and helps you to continue until the crest, without much fighting with gravity

* In case of a failed attempt, take a moment to analyse what went wrong and work on it in your second try. Don’t just rush back immediately to the dune with more speed; the issue that led you miss the first attempt could be the angle

* Don’t lose your composure if you couldn’t do it in the first attempt

* By default, it is expected that second tries would be announced invariably in an intermediate drive as the members are senior enough to follow the basics

* Don’t ‘fight’ with the dunes, try to flow on them. Right combination of momentum and angle will help you feel that you have started flowing like sand on dunes

* The general flow of the convoy and the number of second tries in a drive in any given area determine if the members are ready for those dunes or if they need more practice

If anyone would like to understand any of those points further, please catch me on the sand :have_a_nice_day:

Cheers,
Scorpio
+971 55 5804488
Drives a grey FJ 'Everest'
The race for excellence has no finish line!