UAE West to East - Al Waggan (Liwa Southern Crescent)

David
Intermediate
Intermediate

After a long day and filling up at the Arada petrol station we moved to the camp site not far from the border with KSA.

I think this was the 1st time I said goodnight first, I was tired and I wanted to be fresh for what was coming the day after, slept perfectly to wake up to a foggy morning (same as last time we camped there).

Mabubaker lead the convoy, Tom 2nd lead, Carlos, Sorin, Rathica, Pedro, Ehab and me finishing my sweeping weekend. Giorgio keeping an eye from the back of the convoy and Shamsi assisting with instructions as and when needed.

To be honest, it does not get any better than this, great group of friends that just happen to be fantastic drivers, the southern crescent of Liwa and an amazing lead, anyone still not at interm level but that loves offroading as much as I do, this is what you train for.

From Arada parallel to the border moving North when in line with Moreeb that was our finish point. Very very few issues, I think in total ropes came out only 3 times, for a drive like this I think that a very impressive result that shows the level of the drivers and their concentration.

Only my 2nd intermediate drive with the FJ so I had some reservations but finally very very comfortable and happy, I think not even a 2nd try, great learning experience and looking forward to more "big dunes" drives.

Cherry on the cake the 140Wall ... what happens on the desert stays on the desert (moreover if Liwa) so won't say much even though some videos might be shared by the media team.

Time to say thank you, Mabubaker, what a lead, amazing, Giorgio for his continuous support and Shamsi for always sharing his knowledge, really really appreciated more than ever now with the adaptation to the new ride. To my fellow intermediates, guys, love driving with you!!!

See you on the sand soon!!! (please big dunes)
Tomvanhouten
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi everyone,

This was the amazing closing drive of the already lovely weekend. Three days in a row, of continuous sand in the car, sweating and concentration and then this one!

Amazing group of drivers, lined up in a convoy with a lead who can go ballistic whenever he desires and a fantastic guidance from the other two!

Like @David already expressed, I am not going to reveal too much, but this was really some experience. Gorgeous area, soft sands, high walls and great company!

Thank you everyone,

Tom
giorgio
Marshal
Marshal

Liwa day 3 of the event and it was time for the Intermediate drivers to leave behind their rescue training and focus on adding new skills to their off-road development.

The lead car gave a thrilling experience to the drivers targeting the biggest dunes in the area, climbing like a spider from one side and descending like a hawk from the other.

I was pleased to see all our intermediate drivers with no exception to play hard and safely pushing their cars and them self's out of their comfort zone. Well done to all of you. Personally I could not be happier from your performance and you all know by now that when I am not happy it is easy to tell

Thank you all for your time, effort, and joyful company around the fire.

Special thanks to the organizer for his dedication, knowledge and professionalism to put together this 3 day 3 night event with all what needs to be done behind the seen (a tremendous amount of research that require time money and experience) for all of us to go and have fun without having to worry how all will fall in place.

Until next time be safe and looking forward to see you all on the upcoming drives
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of the sheep
CARLOSS
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello everyone!

I was very excited about this year Liwa’s interm adventure as last year we did not drive too much while talking care of a couple of cars with mechanical issues. Therefore, I was hoping to get a great drive this time! ORLY

All started with a previous night camping. I went along with @Sorin around 7:30pm to the designated camping spot, looked for a flat area (not an easy task) cleaned from bushes and animals’ “leftovers” but the latter was impossible as all the area was covered by camel’s bioproducts melt . We anticipated some related claims from the rest of the convoy and for sure it happened! dark mood

The rest of the gang showed up around 2 hours after us so by this time, we were already digesting our dinner, had a bit of chit chatting and I went to bed relatively early 2 z Z …I did not want to be tired next day.

Next day the usual stuff, packing everything, having breakfast and getting ready for the drive. Short briefing done by @Mabubaker , @Tomvanhouten second lead, @David sweeping and @giorgio taking care of the convoy at the back. @alshamsi_m did not drive too much swapping the passenger seat from one car to another giving instructions and support.

I have no words for describing the drive itself and even if I would have them, I wound not write anything because today I feel a bit selfish and don’t want to share anything good with anybody Psmiley . Now seriously, it was an amazing experience with tons of fun and adrenaline, especially in the 130km/h dune now becoming a must for future drives in this area. cool

I got back home a bit tired but with a huge smile in my face which still lasts. thumbsup

Huge thank to @alshamsi_m for organizing one more year this amazing saga of Liwa drives (I cannot even imagine the effort, time and work dedicated to organize that), @Mabubaker for leading on an amazing way and @giorgio for keeping the convoy safe and my friends (the above-mentioned plus @PedroLeal , @Rathica , @Ehab for playing safe too.

See you soon
Carlos
Mabubaker
Marshal
Marshal

After saying goodbye to the newbies, we started preparing for the intermediate meal.
Part of the preperation, I opted for a refreshing shower (if you want to know how to get this service, you can ask in the next camp). Psmiley
Went to the camp site, found the warriors waiting, was already late, but we couldn't go asleep before the mandatory chit chat, revealing some camp only stories.
Bu Salem gave me the opportunity to lead, which I couldn't resist pacman.
After breakfast and waiting for the morning fog to clear, did a quick breif, giving @Tomvanhouten the 2l position, @David sweeping while @giorgio floating and @alshamsi_m settling as a co-pilot of the 2l.
As mentioned by @giorgio, the most impressive part of this drive is the fact that intermediates showed a great level of responsibility, team work and didn't risk themselves while driving, which is encouraging marshals to post more higher level drives.
The most important success factor of this drive is the thorough plan from the encyclopedia of the desert @alshamsi_m. I got a rich catalog from Bu Salem which made it way easier for me to lead and for the whole convoy to enjoy the most of Liwa.
@Tomvanhouten did a great job as 2l, he respinded to many adjustments on the route flawlessly.
Thank you @giorgio for the great company and support.
Thank you, and looking forward to another Liwa soon!
M Abubaker
Sorin
media
media

Hello everyone,

As is customary around this time of the year we headed to my favorite desert of all: Liwa from Arada to Moreeb parallel to the Saudi border.
As my friends described the trip above, it was just like a day out with family but a family that can drive really well in the most unforgiving dunes and landscape. The quality of the marshals and the drivers behind them meant that we had very little stops and got to enjoy driving our cars at the level we love.
I have nothing but gratitude to all involved and sheer happiness to be a member of this family.

Also for us Jeepers, driving the FJs was an extra bonus 😂

Hope to see you all soon
I approve this message ⬆️
Ehab
media
media

Finally got some time to write the report, what a week.
Liwa, huge dunes and bowls, but not the usual, Liwa is definitely different.
Second time for me in Liwa, last year it was newbie 10+ and it was amazing, now guess how an intermediate trip with almosters could be.
The kind of dunes which you climb for 10 - 15 minutes and then you go down ascending a long drop, then you take the wall side to side, amazing.
Luckily, no mechanical issues even with jeep in the convoy 🤣🤣 and no incidents at all, everyone was driving safe and following marshals instructions with no issues.
Speaking about safety and specially in the 130 km/h wall, all of us did many second tries there but i broke a new record, 14+ second tries. In multiple tries i could risk it a little bit and take the crest but no, no ego here, i have to do it safely or do not do it, this is what we learned.

@alshamsi_m joined me for almost 2 hours as a passenger, i think my off-roading skills got upgraded 3x times only with his advises, not only that, he made me know my new car better and better including some FJ things 😲😲😲
Thanks to @Abubakar @alshamsi_m and @giorgio for an amazing trip, my fellow intermediaries for an amazing company and safe driving.

Enjoy watching
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello everyone

Going to camp the third night in Liwa to realise that something is wrong with my car because it's shaking more than usual to find out that I have a broken engine mount 🙃. That didn't stop me from going and enjoying the night with the intermediates grin

Next morning the announcement came that we have a new leader and that is why we have more than one marshal in our convoys. Specifically for the serious ones.

I enjoyed the passenger seat and jumping from one car to the other and before you know it, it was sunset time. Good Times fly really fast and specially in Liwa.

Before I close the trip report I would like to send a special thanks to @giorgio who was the real hero for the full event. He was doing rescue for three days and we 440 km which is a new record but I am sure he did double or triple that distance, So well done buddy thumbsup

Also for @Mabubaker for leading the last day and showing that Almost4x4 has real marshals who can drive anywhere even without prior preparation. Just give them the direction and the level and they will take care from there cool

Finally, for all the members of the three days who made it another successful event 👏.

Till next time, Stay Safe and see you in Tal Mureeb challenge event and drive.

Cheers
Shamsi
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills