Go Fast

Mghoneim
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello Almosters,

After chasing @optimus in the earlier newbie 10+ drive a couple of weeks back in Alqudra (I hate speed in technical areas) , I found Go Fast as a great opportunity to chase him again but this time on the bigger dunes of Nahil. As we are adding speed to the equation at this level, and with the little experience i knew about following @optimus , I tried my best to secure a position in the begining of the convoy because I knew the convoy would be having multiple gaps and disconnection throughout the drive. After the quick briefing I was lucky to secure the first position after our second lead @brett, we had @PedroLeal sweeping and @Mahmoodyasin floating. During the breifing I heard that we are aiming to go from Nahil to Nagra ( I have been in Nahil for 4-5 drives with the same aim but never saw Nagra) , so i was hoping to see it today.

Convoy started moving , and I was super focused not to let @brett and @optimus out of sight. The adrenaline pump in the first 10 mins was insane, however, that soon we had to stop for a double pop out for our cycling champion @galindakis . After that we did multiple climbs, arches and speed was a main part of the equations till we hit a big bowl/climb the looked like some time of stopping :) . I tried going up the climb 4 times , but everytime the car loose power half way, on my fifth time i managed to go half way up and drifted to the side a bit and got stuck in bowl . Thanks for @optimus and for FJ's technology, with a push of a couple of buttons and i am out. @galindakis was in the mood for pop-outs , and had another one on the same side before we left. After that @optimus promised one more obstacle and then he will go easy as he see our cars crying for mercy :) , following that we took the gatch road out , and I believe we didn't reach Nagra (unfinished business)

Great Drive!! Thanks for @optimus and all of the support from intermediate and advance drivers. This was one of my best drives with Almost 4x4 in the past year time , if not the best :)

See you on the sand
Ghoneim
Cheers,
MGhoneim
galindakis
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi all.
It was 1 month since my last drive and this one was a +10 so I was expecting a little bit of stress during the last couple of minutes.

We were doing a side crest but do to a mistake a hit a bush a I suffer a double pop out. Thanks to all the team we manage to fix it super fast. Then I was more relax and with more flow.
Again at the end of the drive I was mentally tired and I made a mistake suffering a pop out. Yesterday was my day.
Anyhow I feel that I’m progressing and I’m much more confident and aware of my limitations which is perfect.

Thanks @optimus for súper fun track and all your advices. Thanks @brett @PedroLeal @CARLOSS @Mahmoodyasin and all the crew for the support.
Looking forward to the next

See you in the sand
optimus
Marshal
Marshal

Drive : Go Fast
Area : Nahil
Level : 10 +
Organizer : Optimus
No of Convoys : 2
Lead 1 : Myself
Lead 2 : @Mabubaker
Support Marshal : @Rashidjass
Rescue & support : @Mahmoodyasin , @brett , @CARLOSS @Stephan , @PedroLeal , @ImranFJ @Laarni @Giovanni @osman @mpodroid

My plan for this drive was straight forward – Go Fast.
I believe this drive tested the members on various aspects &
i am sure the drivers got a good opportunity to test their strengths & realized their weakness.
The drive also gave them some visibility for what is forthcoming as they would progress in their off-road journey with us!

I would leave the rest for the members to write the experiences they had.

Last I would like to thank the intermediate support for showing up in good numbers!
Thanks also to my floating support @Mahmoodyasin
& last but not least @Rashidjass & @Mabubaker

Until next time!
Optimus
Black FJ (The Godfather)
brett
Crew
Crew

Dear Almosters

Go Fast ! did not disappoint in many ways

I arrived early and set about deflating; I was starting to wonder if I had the GPS co-ordinance wrong ?? but eventually the drivers started to arrive. The group was split into 2 convoys – one for the drivers with fewer 10+ drives and the other for those with a reasonable number more than the required 10.

@optimus conducted the briefing and we gathered up for the specific convoy briefing. I was given 2nd lead in the convoy lead by @optimus with @PedroLeal sweeping, @CARLOSS and @Stephan and @osman within the convoy for support. With @Mahmoodyasin floating and keeping a watchful eye on the convoy.
Before heading out @optimus mentioned to me “stay close” off we went at a cracking pace climbs, crests, bowls, drops at a very quick pace, @galindakis experienced his first double pop out as he manage to hit a nasty bush on a descent from a crest, this was fixed in a reasonably quick time and off we headed again, at one point after a nice flowing climbs, crests, arches, I dropped down the dune looking for @optimus (FJ Thing) and he was nowhere to be seen, there were multiple tracks in the area and rather than make a decision to follow what might be the wrong track, I called it in on the radio. We were soon reconnected, but I had “Failed” at keeping close, so increased my speed and concentration in the next stages of the drive. At one particular climb we had to do an arch on a bowl descend and then a steep climb the sand was soft and sucked the power out the cars as they made the climb with many having to have multiple attends to complete the obstacle.
By now it was getting late with the sun starting to get low in the sky, a few more technical dunes and arches – then I watched as @optimus s climbed a decent sized bowl heading straight into the setting sun rode the crest and dropped of the other side – he called on the radio “be careful its sharp” I started off on the arch at a decent pace but as I got closer to the spot to cross, gravity was starting to pull me – rather than take the risk of crossing the crest I turned down – suddenly from blinding sun I was in the shadow of the dune, it was like complete darkness. I took a 2nd run at it and again fail ! a 3rd attempt and another fail ! I call over the radio that I did not think I would be able to complete it. @optimus gave me an instruction to take a new line over a lower crest and rejoin him, with the rest of the convoy following. As we regrouped more than one of the 10+ drivers mentioned ot me that they were mentally spent and didn’t think they would have even attempted the climb – the fatigue of the intense 2hrs at that pace was taking its toll. We headed out to the road, still at a brisk pace but not the same level of challenge, although another pop out occurred before we reached the road.
While deflating everyone had big smiles on their faces happy to have experienced the faster pace and technique required at the next level
Until the next Adventure

Brett
Red Baron
CARLOSS
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi everyone,

Go Fast drive reminded me my last drives in the newbie level…fast pace, amazing track selection, nice dose of challenge, beautiful playground (this time in Nahil) and tons of fun ORLY . I only missed the side cresting and higher pace for having an interm drive thanks to @optimus organizing and taking the lead of the convoy and @Mahmoodyasin keeping an eye on us.

There were some sections of the drive that I had really good fun with the music aloud, windows open and pedal to the metal! cool Crossing the big dunes, doing the bowls and making big arches was really good fun for me.

Convoy did quite well I could see some drivers’ faces showing a mix of emotions: Excitement, tiredness (specially by the end), a huge respect for the big dunes and bowls and some kind of “what the h*** is going on here? wtfsmilie This has nothing to do with what I have done before!” whut I went thought the same some time ago so happy to see that feeling coming back again now in mates’ faces. Guys, get ready for the next level...it looks like it is coming soon zomg

It was an almost perfect drive only disrupted a bit by a few pop-outs and a stuck car that needed to be pulled out.…it looks like we have the new "King of the Pop(out)" emerging after @dorudoru great achievements! My friend Alvaro also known as @galindakis worked quite hard on that! Psmiley

I look forward for the next one!

See you
Carlos
Mahmoodyasin
Advance
Advance

Hi All
At Nahil the drivers turned up in big numbers that marshals had to form 2 convoys. 1st was led by @optimus with myself as floating support and 2nd by @Mabubakr with @Rashidjass as his support.
The newbies got a wake up call as @optimus stepped on the gas. This was the first instance the newbies had to face speed with a mix of drops, arches and some sidecrest and believe me it was a surprise. nose bleed
During the drive There were more than usual 2nd tries which was good as it reflected that the drivers played safe. Some Special dunes were challenged, where some newbies had to post multiple trys But with high spirits and different gear combinations, they managed to get over the line. thumbsup
2.5 hrs of high pace driving seemed like 3 times of stress. It was evident as the radio was quite most of the time 🤣
We had a single recovery and few pop outs on the way … but all the drivers did well at the end.
Special thanks to the inters for doing a great job with the popouts fixing 👍🏼
Thanks to @optimus @Mabubaker and @Rashidjass or organizing and leading the drive.

Till next time
Mahmoodyasin
White Fj cruiser
(Blizzard)
piotr
Intermediate
Intermediate

A newbie drive in Nahil/Sweihan always offers a promise of something special to happen :) It was no different this time! @optimus took us into a semi-intermediate trip across the high dunes, bowls and steep climbs. It was a rather challenging drive, but one that also allowed to learn a lot – a fantastic mix.
I came into the drive rather rusty, not having driven on sand for the last 2 months, and only having a couple of drives under the belt in the new car. I arrived on the spot on time, and managed to have a short chit-chat with my long-not-seen-friends. We got divided into 2 groups – I was allocated to the convoy led by @optimus . The briefing was short and sweet: by now you know the rules, no overtaking, area is challenging so don’t roll, let’s go!
And off we went! First climb – second try – not a good start 😉 no sleeping behinds the wheel, FOCUS! Gradually after the warm-up the pace and size of dunes increased. We managed to carve some beautiful lines on top of the dunes, had a few opportunities to “newbie-side-crest”, and completed a few complex sequences between bowls and arches. It was awesome, and the adrenaline just kept pumping!! It was quite disappointing to see the drive end!
I had a couple of second (and-third-and-fourth) tries, which sometimes is frustrating but in the end -teaches the driver to select the right line and approach angle (and speed). Thank you @Mahmoodyasin for the guidance; the combination 4L 3rd gear is a really good escape route :)
Overall the convoy performed well, we had a number of second tries, and some opportunities to flex our muscles – one recovery on a side slope, and a few pop-outs (incl. one double!:)

We covered 32kms and drove for 3h (1.5h moving).

Thank you to @optimus for organizing the drive, and @brett, @PedroLeal, @Mahmoodyasin and @CARLOSS for support, it was a great time!

See you in the sand again soon!
AntonT

Hello Everyone,

A surge of excitement appeared as soon as I received the coordinates of the meeting point. We have already driven in that area, Nahil, and I remember well the dunes' steepness and the bowls' depth.

The total extreme of all previous trips needs to be multiplied at least by two to roughly describe what we went through. During a short break, sharing our impressions of the first part of the drive, @optimus assured us that "this is just the introduction". At first, it wasn't easy to cope with the tortuous crests driving along them. Minor loss of control or speed, and you are already sliding down the slope and sometimes sideways or backwards.
A little later, another test awaited us - S-type driving in a bowl. The only way for a pilot to take the height is to turn towards the crest of the dune at the top of the arch of a narrow bowl. So the task was to create sufficient momentum without space for acceleration. But it was not the end of the challenges. Climbing one of the dunes took many of us several tries. Acceleration did not help. Newton's first law overpowered our engines. Just by choosing the right combination of gears, we climbed one by one to the top, not even a dune, but I would say that mountain.

After such an extreme it is absolutely clear that I am still very far from interim level.

Thanks to the organisers and the support team for amazing drive!
I'm looking forward to the next extreme drive with almost4x4.
LuckeyM
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi Almosters
I was awaiting the reports of @optimus convoy, I think that needed some venting lll._. , great reports guys it was a lot of fun reading have a nice day

I was part of @Mabubaker convoy and I fully enjoyed the day, thank you so much for the drive, and of course to all the support team and @Rashidjass our Guardian Angel redbullsmiley and yes we did make it to Nagra :yaeh_am_not_durnk:

The day started off by reaching Nahil, an amazing place, I have not been earlier with really nice dunes, and some untouched areas, some technical areas, and a few amazing bowls. The drivers as mentioned earlier, divided in 2 convoys, and after the reviews I can fully understand the concern of the marshals about the distribution of the newbies, thank you for looking out for us.

At the beginning of the drive we had some issues with a Land Cruiser, radiator leaking, @Rashidjass worked his magic, but they were not able to continue, as water kept on bursting, hope they reached home well. After that we were able to keep a good pace, almost continuous, with good speed, I enjoyed a lot the playground, in one of the bowls we did several rounds each, finding the perfect approach angle and speed. Also the technical area was something that I really like, no tracks from any other car, so its a lot easier to focus on the dunes, no need to avoid consumed tracks, and the views were just amazing.

And as final stop we reached to Nagra, was getting dark so we were using off-road lights, the intermediates were allowed to have a climb on the huge dune that is there, looked like a lot of fun, looking forward to try it as well grin

Thanks again to @Mabubaker and the supporting team, looking forward to the next drive

LuckeyM
white Prado