Not Afraid

brett
Crew
Crew

Dear Almosters,

Very rarely am I the first to write a trip report, But today is rather special !

Today was my first drive as an intermediate, it has been a long time in coming, but trust me it was worth the wait. I should add that the hours and hours I have dedicated to honing my skills and not being in a hurry to advance until our Founders and Marshals knew I was ready !!. In the early days as a newbie I thought no problem - a few drives (maybe 10) I would be ready for my second star, I was wrong, it takes time and dedication to learn the skills needed to upgrade to the next level. I am forever grateful to the Founders, Marshals, Explorers, Advanced and Intermediate members who have helped and encouraged me on this journey.

After waking up at 4:30am before my alarm, I prepared myself mentally for the morning ahead over a nice cup of coffee. The drive to Sweihan is pretty straightforward (rather boring), my mind was thinking all the way to the meeting point - what was this first intermediate drive going to be like ??

As I approached the entry point suddenly the area was engulfed in fog. Rather than entering the coordinates in my Garmin I just pasted them to google maps. In the fog I drove almost blind following google and bingo ! I hit the spot. So I set about deflating and set up my chair to wait for the others to arrive - I thought I was first as I was about 40min before scheduled meeting time. then I see @PedroLeal has posted a photo sitting in the fog ? where was he ? seems google had me not actually on the spot @alshamsi_m appeared in the fog and sped past -I realised my mistake and followed to the "real" meeting point some 200m away but un seen in the fog

We sat and waited for the others to arrive. soon enough everyone was there, but due to the fog our start was delayed so we sat around chatting. it was rather dauting realizing there were more Marshals than intermediates !! A huge thank you to @alshamsi_m @optimus @rapailo @presa @Rashidjass @Mahmoodyasin for showing up to keep an eye on us.

@optimus was to lead us with @PedroLeal in 2nd lead. I was assigned as sweeper.

The Fog cleared and off we went. the pace was faster than us newly upgraded drivers are used to, climbs, side crests, second tries, stucks, bowls, arches to be honest the details are a bit of a blur ! everything was happening so fast compared to newbie drives. what an amazing introduction to the new level. I survived ! without any major incidents - but lots of work to do on improving my skills.

By the end of the drive I was pretty tired, as were the other drivers who are new to this level. My brain was now Foggy trying to digest what had happened in the drive - it was over too soon, I drove home going over my performance as best I could in my mind

hopefully the fog in my head clears before my next drive.
Now time for a well earned nap zzzzzz
Last edited by brett on Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Until the next Adventure

Brett
Red Baron
ImranFJ
Intermediate
Intermediate

Good day Almosters,

First off I would like to thank all the marshals for a fantastic drive as always. Words can’t describe how I felt before, during, and after the drive. I am still processing my day after reaching home. I had been waiting for months and months for an invite to the next intermediate test. I would check the forum numerous amount of times every week to see my luck. Trust me, the wait was really really worth it.

After our intermediate test, The marshals surprised us with the gift of a drive in Nahil area. We met at 7 AM at the meeting point accompanied by some unexpected fog which gave us nice weather to sit and chat till it cleared. Then @Al_shamsi gave us an essential briefing about the next level and we started the drive. I did not even get a chance to prepare myself for this much fun from the start of it. I had expected this drive would be a bit harder than the test but this exceeded my expectations by miles. All I could say to myself was WOOHOO!

Once again, This club has brought out a different personality within me which I never knew existed. Lots of room to improve in my driving but that is just another reason for me to keep joining every drive. Thank you again marshals, looking forward to the next one! thumbsup

ImranFJ
PedroLeal
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello Almosters,

Finally the long awaited day was here - our newborn intermediates first drive!
I've prepared my snacks and drinks the night before, put the alarm to 4:30 and made myself to the road around 5am, as I wanted to arrive ahead of time to relax a bit and prepare mentally for what was about to come.
Since I took the truck road, I had do drive through a dense fog for the last 40km of the trip.
Finally I reached the meeting point, still ahead of time, and had plenty of time to deflate, mount the flag, brew a cup of fresh coffee and relax enjoying the foggy cool breeze.
Soon, members started to arrive and we sat for a while waiting for the fog to clear.
It was an amazing chit-chat relaxing moment, with some campfire stories being shared, except there was no campfire!

With the fog cleared, marshals gave green light to start the drive.
To be honest, today there wasn't a drive. Today, we were gifted with a Premium Offroad Training!
We had 1 Founder, 3 Marshals, 1 Explorer and 1 Advance to give us a true "On-Job Training" Masterclass. Thank you!

The briefing started with @optimus explaining the drive.
The plan was to practice side cresting and switching on medium dunes, with sharp ridges.
Being the first time that newborn interms were being exposed to such manouvers, @alshamsi_m highlighted the importance of playing safe and calling for 2nd try in case we feel that we are not carrying the correct speed, or the correct approach angle.
The convoy order was defined with @optimus leading, myself as 2nd lead, followed by @Umar, @ImranFJ, and @brett sweeping. As floating marshals we had @alshamsi_m with @presa as passenger, @rapailo, and @Rashidjass as passenger of the advance @Mahmoodyasin.
The area we were about to cover was familiar to me. It was almost the same sweihan-to-nahil track that we did in my last 10+ drive, also led by @optimus , so I felt that a surprise was coming!

(Now stop for a minute, go to Spotify and select "Song 2" from Blur, and continue to read the remaining report listening to this soundtrack!!!)

We started the training running away from camels, as we wanted to avoid scaring them with our flag poles.
The pace was fast, faster than ever before, and we were going for every dune we were finding on our way.
In our newbies 10+ drives we used to draw beautiful arches on these dunes, but today we were not coming down... we were switching to the other side doing side crests... This is totally another level!!!
It did not took too long for me to get the first 2 lessons of the day.

The first lesson is about the importance of having the right speed while we do a switch to the other side.
In one of the dunes, I did not carry the enough momentum and got crested on the ridge.
While I was already "shaving" the crest, I heard on the radio: "Be careful on the other side, be careful on the other side". I got a bit scared and lifted the throttle too early and the car immediately stopped.
Then I realized that Jeeps are not like FJs. While FJs have a skid plate that acts as a surf board, Jeeps have a front solid axle that acts as a counterforce once in touch with the sharp ridge.
It was a good lesson, and it is something that I need to count with in the future.
Still a lot to learn on this matter!

The second lesson of the day was how to recover a side crested car.
We were about to do it the easy way, with a pull from the front. I was already having the rope in my hand when @alshamsi_m decided that this a good opportunity to teach us a lesson: How to recover a car using shovels!!!
All interms came with their shovels (Thank you guys!!!)and helped to clear out the sand underneath the solid axles and differentials.
With that, the car got out easily.

We continued our drive, with lots of 2nd tries, since we were following the briefing advice and playing safe.
Of course I was doing mistakes, some times not carrying enough speed, and other times with too much speed, which I take it as part of the learning process.
The good take away is that I could identify myself everytime I made a mistake, which will help me to improve my skills in the next drives.
However, the feedback from Marshals was a constant in every moments, and this is why I consider this as a premium offroad training instead of a drive.

Then, the moment I was hoping to happen came (remenber the surprise I mentioned in the begining?)
There she was, THE DREAM BOWL!!!
If you don't know what this is, read my previous trip report: https://almost4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 116#p57116
Finally we were allowed to do it.
It was not perfect, and it was good to make us realize how much we have to learn still.
I hope to revisit this bowl in the future with my skills improved!

The drive came to an end close to Nahil, where we inflated and took a moment to stabilize our emotions.
I never felt so tired after a drive, as I felt today.
The adrenaline continued to pump in my veins till mid afternoon, and I can't remenber having such feeling with anyother drive in the past!
Now, I just keep thinking on the next one... Some say it is addrenaline addiction!...

I'd like to thank @Rashidjass for organizing the drive, @optimus for the amazing lead, and all the marshals for granting our safety, providing continuous feedback, and having patience with us!
Also, a word of appreciation to my fellow newborn interms, for the companionship and mutual support.

Btw, have you enjoyed this trip report with the soundtrack?!

I can't wait to see you all soon in the sand again!

Pedro

Last edited by PedroLeal on Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
optimus
Marshal
Marshal

Drive : Not Afraid
Area : Sweihan - Nahil
Level : Intermediate
Lead : myself
Float : @alshamsi_m @Rashidjass @rapailo @presa @Mahmoodyasin

Good Morning Everyone,

Welcome to the new batch of intermediates!

First of all, I would like to thank @alshamsi_m for letting me lead the new batch of intermediates.
The idea was to practice side cresting on as many dunes as possible.
From the start, we had a nice drive and enjoyed some nice run on dunes. I hope every member in the convoy got his share of learnings.

As you have entered the intermediate level therefore, I have the following advices for you:

1. Don't be afraid.

2. Don't consider crest as a threat and do not approach it unless you have full control on you and your car.

3. Keep Calm. Don't rush to go to the other side of the crest.

4. Your momentum, controlling your throttle and approach angle to the crest makes all the difference.

5. Align your car as parallel to the ridge as possible before breaking the crest.

6. When you are on the crest, ride it for 1-2 sec and then go down to the other side.

7. Follow above steps, you will enjoy side cresting and will develop confidence.

8. If you don’t enjoy it and don’t feel confident then it means you did not follow the steps.

9. If you keep practicing Point 6, it will become your habit and soon you will start doing it without being afraid.

10. If you keep following Point 7, then you are depending on your good luck.

11. Keep reminding yourself that gravity is your friend.

12. Don't let your car fish tail.

13. No shame if you are able to side crest in 2nd, 3rd or more tries. You know how good drivers you are. Don't need to prove anything to anyone. We are all here to learn & that should not stop.

14. Give yourself time to learn but ensure that you are learning the right way. Good things comes to those who wait!.

With every intermediate drive you will be exposed to newer challenges and scenarios.
Keep learning and keep enjoying the fun level thumbsup

Al last thank you to the floating marshals & support for keeping the convoy safe & thank you to all the intermediates for a nice drive!

Until next time!
Optimus
Black FJ (The Godfather)
presa
Marshal
Marshal

Hi Almosters!

We had a pleasant drive with @optimus leading the new intermediates in Nahil area, being a passenger with Optimus and them @alshamsi_m .

Drive was calm and just an introduction to the new level, as expected, with Optimus keeping an excellent level for the new intermediates.

Drivers are evolving, working on their skills and getting better every drive.

After the drive I come across, some old members, who were resting from a good workout on the morning.

Looking fwd to see you guys next weekend.
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello Everyone

This is was an emotional meeting point for me, when I had the discussion with organizers I realized it is a meeting point done by our late explorer @Duck Commander RIP and I had the point since 2012.

The way to the meeting point was not clear because of the fog but with the right navigation tools, I had no issues at all cool .

It was nice to sit and chitchat before the drive until the fog cleared and once it was gone, the game was on too cool

We have the best lead and the best support team too so it was the perfect ingrediant for a perfect drive cool

I would luke to thank you all and looking forward to see you soon

Cheers
Shamsi
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills