Welcome to the other Side

brett
Crew
Crew

CARLOSS wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:47 am Hey Brett, thanks for the drive report & recognition but actually I was not there...at least physically speaking thumbsup

I would have loved to but I couldn't make it due to some previous commitments...hope next time I will

Carlos
brett wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:59 am Dear Almosters

It was lovely weather early Saturday morning, meeting @giorgio well ahead of the posted meeting time. (location is only 20min from home for me).

Once deflated, flag attached etc we settled back in our chairs drinking coffee and awaiting the arrival of the victims - opps I mean fresh Newbies !

We were soon joined by the egar Newbies and the support crew - big thanks to @giorgio for arranging the drive, @alshamsi_m Founder extraordinaire, Commander of Operations @Barish @optimus , Outstanding recovery support from @CARLOSS @dorudoru and @Tomvanhouten

@PedroLeal you are a braver man than me !! OSMILEY

As mentioned it was quite a long drive for first time Newbies and mostly everyone did really well. I am sure it was a big learning experience for all. I am looking forward to watching the development as you continue your almost4x4 journey.
My advice is (try) and relax, learn your car.
Radio communication
Respect Gravity
Maintain the correct following distance
Make sure you have all the right tools
Bring lots of water

The Drive itself was not without some interesting learning situations leading to pop outs, stucks on crests and second tries. all situations that are to be expected as we learn. Don't be in a hurry it takes time to master the skills required and everyone learns at their own pace - its not a race !

Some cars are better suited to the desert than others - but even cars that are "trail rated" can experience issues in the extreme environment. I think I used more duct tape re-attaching number plates, front and rear bumpers, than any other drive.

I was assigned as Sweeper, a convoy position I enjoy as I get to "play" a little bit here and there as the last car in the convoy. Following behind @Tomvanhouten made for a very relaxed morning as I was always confident of him flowing smoothly over the crests - reading the skill level of the car in front is also very important to avoid being surprised if following too close or losing the right track by losing sight of the car in front of you.

EIB (Eggs In Basket) challenge next weekend ! this is an amazing event to attend be it as a Challenger or as a spectator

looking forward to seeing you all at EIB
Apologies i am getting old !
At least i know you were there in spirit
Until the next Adventure

Brett
Red Baron
Zoubeir

Thanks a lot @giorgio for organizing this second trip after the CM drive. It was a decent area, with a variety of terrain. Convoy got it's first taste of straight cresting and at one point it was one too many. However, with plenty of support team around, it was swiftly dealt with.
The heat is getting serious though!
Thanks to @alshamsi_m and @Tomvanhouten for checking back on me while I was stuck with some work duties.
Will be off for many weeks for planned vacations. Until next time!

P.S: My apologies for the delayed report; was stuck at work and did not notice :;^^:
optimus
Marshal
Marshal

Drive : Welcome to the other side
Organizer : Giorgio
Lead : Giorgio
Area : Qudra-Murquab
Level : -5
Support : Al shamsi, Barish, Dorudoru, Tom, Brett & myself.

the idea of the drive was to practice the straight cresting on small dunes. We had a good time in the desert. Only few rescue scenarios, some 2nd tries & plastic fixing otherwise most of the time the convoy was nicely flowing. There are few things that we should keep in mind.
-Steering straight on the descends.
-2nd lead is a responsible position. the convoy behind you would follow the same track of the 2nd lead. If a lead marshal does a straight crest, 2nd lead too does the same followed by the rest of the convoy. Don’t try to improvise the track unless the lead marshal informs to do so. That can jeopardize your safety & of the drivers behind you.
-Radio communication is paramount. Train your reflexes to quickly handle the radio comms in emergency situations.
-safe distance between your car and the car in front 15-20 mtrs.

At last thanks to Giorgio for organizing the drive & the rest supporting!

Until next time!
Optimus
Black FJ (The Godfather)