Liwa Marathon Stage 3

Petr
Intermediate
Intermediate

I returned from my trip to Oman night before, so I decided to have some sleep in my bed before the drive. I woke up at 3 am and soon hit the road. The roads were nearly empty and I soon reached Madinat Zayed, but then I dived into thick fog that accompanied and slowed me till the camp, fortunately I planned enough time for the drive not to be late.

When I got to the camp site I found @rapailo already making eggs for everyone, so we started with a yummy breakfast, which is the necessary ingredient for a great day. We had to wait for the fog to clear, which took more time than usual, but the time eventually came and @alshamsi_m gave us a short briefing and then took the lead of the convoy supported by @Booy. Our small team of four intermediates - Rapaillo, @Johanna, @Mabubaker and myself - disappeared in the vast Liwa desert.

The drive was smooth and fast paced, radios mostly silent while we enjoyed the scenery and the drive. The sky was beautiful and some clouds and their shadows gave an interesting and for me quite unusual look.

Booy and Bu Salem spent three days with the club in Liwa to give the joy during the weekend to many club members who came and left every day to free the space to another fresh team and I take my hat off for their endurance and big thanks for the drive.

Johanna
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hello Almosters,

I had the full Liwa package, so I will write about all 3 days in one report.
For me it was the first time to spent full 3 days and nights in Liwa with 6-8 hours desert driving per day.
I was not sure if I could persevere the marathon, mentally and physically, especially with the intermediate drive at the last day.

Stage 1:
I left towards Hameem straight from work and arrived at the camp site at around 6 and started the fire with the help of @Sorin who arrived just a few minutes after me. More and more people joined the camp and we spent the evening chit chatting and eating.
After midnight most people went to sleep, the brave ones in a tent, despite the dangerous creatures which are wandering through the desert ORLY
I slept 4-5 hours and with some fresh coffee in the morning I managed to wake up before the drive. We had a small Newbie 5+ convoy with only 6 drivers I think and a lot of Marshals as support. I honestly have to say that I do not remember much from this drive. I was second lead behind @Booy and the track challenged our drivers especially with sharp crests and big drops. There was one crest nearly all got stuck including Marshals Psmiley and we spent quite a while there.
We finished close to Hameem at around 5 as scheduled and said goodbye to the 5+ drivers.

Stage 2:
From Hameem we drove towards Moreeb dune with a stop in Mezaira to fill up fuel and snacks. We arrived at the deflating point around 7:30 and met @SameRaptoRed and @Loca there so we drove to the camp site together. Even if I felt really tired that evening we had a great time around the fire with good laughs and delicious food prepared by @SameRaptoRed, thank you for that thumbsup
Around 11:30 everyone went to sleep and even with some noise from the Moreeb dune which was challenged by some supercharged cars, I managed to get some good sleep for a couple of hours.
In the morning after breakfast and coffee I felt still tired and was wondering how I will survive an 8 hour drive in proper Liwa...The area is challenging and different than what we are usually drive. There is no room for mistakes and Liwa is always good for surprises.
Just ten minutes after take off the first dune reminded me of that. I drove at the back so I had to deal with messed up tracks and I tried to use fresh tracks wherever possible. The first climb we did I hit a bump that was not visible, I flew and landed very hard. Surprisingly nothing broke, but I had bad headache the next hour. sick
Our convoy was quite long and radio communication and distance more important than ever.
Even if you need to be focused in Liwa all the time, I got in the zone. It is this mental state when you are focused and relaxed at the same time.
Our convoy did very well, I guess we only had one stuck car and a couple of second tries. The Liwa dunes are stunning every single time and I cannot get enough of it. So I really enjoyed the parts on flat ground when you can have a look around, a cigarette, food, drinks… (please dont tell my mum I do these things while driving a car zomg )
Our grand finale was a big drop close to ghost town, personally for me always a mental challenge but the perfect end of the drive day. At around 4 pm we reached the road and said goodbye to our Newbie 10+ drivers.

Stage 3:
After the 10+ drive we went back to Mezaira for some proper food at a Pakistani restaurant. I dont know if I was just super hungry or if the food was really that good. thumbsup
With a full stomach and after 8 hours proper Liwa drive I really struggled to stay awake, but we had to fill up our cars and drive to our camp site in Arada.
At the camp it was just Booy, Bu Salem, Mabubaker, Rapailo and myself. My original plan was to go to bed as early as possible, but we had some good time again at the fire and so it was already 10:30 when we went to bed. I fell asleep immediatley as I crawled into my sleeping bag and slept 7 hours without moving wtfsmilie
In the morning it was super foggy and I couldnt find the camp site without Garmin, even if it showed me that I am only 255 metres away… Very creepy. The fog was so thick that we could only start 11 am wtfsmilie
Even if it was the highest level drive of the weekend, I felt it the most relaxed one. We only had 6 cars, we all drive together for quite some time and know each other well. We started with some play time in the walls, which was super fun, even though I lost the first two cars slow. It was just maybe half an hour that we played around, but I enjoyed it so much, especially with my new car set up in love
After playtime we left the big dunes behind and drove fast through the beautiful scenerie. I was totally in the zone, the radio was silent most of the time, the flow continousley without stops and the terrain not too challenging.
We had another great playround at a wall and I was happy to see that my heating issue seems solved one and for all, so I could enjoy my cars´full power while freezing with full AC cool
Shortly after the that we reached the road and decided to call it a day as already 2 out of 6 cars were facing some issues.

It was really a weekend that I will never forget. in love

Thank you everyone for the great company.
In the beginning I said I wasnt sure if I could handle 3 days Liwa. But I could and I am proud of myself that I keep up with the big boys, @alshamsi_m and @Booy who also stayed the whole 3 days thumbsup

Till next time
BR, Johanna

If it excites you and scares you at the same time, it probably means you should do it.
SameRaptoRed
Intermediate
Intermediate

Dear all .
This stage was great , we spend a lot of time together and was great bonding and a lot of fun .
I was in liwa the day before with some friends , waiting the next day when i moved to the deflating point , found a lonely Fj . Saw the logo of almost then i thought is someone kept the car and left .
I park and went to the car , oups , @Loca was inside waiting the team .
We spend like 2 hrs chatting till we saw @Booy and @Johanna coming , we drove together to the camp .
We gather with all team , proud of doing a good bbq for every one , nice to hear that all was liking the food , specially @Barish and the lady .
We spend a good time , getting ready to next day .
I tried to sleep one area , then in the night a car crossed near me , running from that to another area . Slept v good .
Next day . We had a lot of fun in the drive . @alshamsi_m and @Booy @Barish including all intermidiate drivers been in the line , was a VIP as mentioned by @alshamsi_m .
We had very nice drops , very good time and went back soo satisfied .
Thanks a lot for all , special thanks to all marshals , leaders and our founders to keep this group as no one else in here .
Love you all .
Sand is where i find myself performing thumbsup
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello everyone

After the long two days in Liwa we got to reach with third days of Liwa fun !!!

The plan was to drive from 4 - 5 hours or 162 km what comes first, but passing by the chain near the boarder was not in the plan. As we always say " This is Liwa , you never know what you are going to expect ".

We had amazing side cresting on the walls while making sure no bees sounds passing by . Then straight line to the underpass that took all the time of driving.

As we are small group, the fun was to the max where we were crossing anything infront of us with no much delay .

3 pm was the time to call the drive off for this amazing weekend.

Long way back but who cares ??? Just one thought in mind . When are we coming back?

Shamsi sing out
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills