Kill Switch For Pathfinder R50

Phoenix
Crew
Crew

The Pathfinder R50 is a very simple car and does not come with any sorts of electronic nannies like Traction Control, Vehicle Slip/Skid Control or anything. What it does come with is the good old simple ABS and in the desert if the ABS kicks in at a critical moment, it can result in some bad situations.

You can disable the ABS by simply pulling out the fuse from the fuse box located below the steering column before going off road and plug it back in when on road.

If you don't want to do that again and again every time you go off-roading then a simple kill switch will work just fine and it does not have to be any thing complicated.

After a tiny bit of research I found this page which shows all the different kinds of kill switch techniques.

https://dashcameras.net/car-kill-switch/

(the above mentioned page belongs to https://dashcameras.net/ and is only used as a reference guide, all credit goes to https://dashcameras.net/ for publishing this information)

Among the different types of kill switch mentioned in their article I found the FUSE BOX KILL SWITCH best suited for our beloved R50s and simple enough for any one with the right tools to pull it off as a DIY project.

Bear in mind that the kill switch that they are talking about is to completely disable the car but in order to use it for disabling only the ABS in our cars all we have to do is use the same technique on the ABS fuse.

I will soon be trying it on Outlaw and post a step by step guide for future reference.
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
presa
Marshal
Marshal

[mention]Phoenix[/mention] this is a good schematic.

I see many garages cutting the wire before the fuse, so you keep the fuse box untouched and sealed. Same result.

Just dont cut the wrong wire :)
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think you are completely wrong and probably you didn't read the following post from March 2013. Maybe some cars do need this amateur solution, but definitely not Pathfinder R50.
On the other hand you are mentioning some "bad situations" but you are not specific at all. Could you be?

https://almost4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2035

If you have some spare time read through it and see mainly pictures.
presa
Marshal
Marshal

caprihorse wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:10 pm I think you are completely wrong and probably you didn't read the following post from March 2013. Maybe some cars do need this amateur solution, but definitely not Pathfinder R50.
On the other hand you are mentioning some "bad situations" but you are not specific at all. Could you be?

[mention]caprihorse[/mention] the pathfinder R50 doesn't have ABS? This is what you mean?

I dont agree with the ABS in soft sand. It will release the break, to avoid slippery, what will increase the breaking distance.

Aside from it, by disengaging ABS you also disengage the stability controls, that are dependent on the ABS to work. This will allow you to slide (laterally) and do high inclined angles, what wouldn't be possible with VSC and others engaged since it would engage the ABS to "correct" the car direction.
Phoenix
Crew
Crew

caprihorse wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:10 pm I think you are completely wrong and probably you didn't read the following post from March 2013. Maybe some cars do need this amateur solution, but definitely not Pathfinder R50.

Hey Chief,

Let me clear things up a bit. The problem I face with my pathfinder is that while driving on sand if ever I brake a bit too hard, the ABS will kick in and start doing that lock-release-lock-release-lock-release procedure on the brakes. The ABS stops your car much sooner but that has only worked for me on road (have been into such a situation a few times with the same car on the highway and thank GOD the ABS kicked in)

But every time the ABS kicks in on sand it has the opposite effect and the car keeps rolling ahead instead of stopping. WITH the ABS the car does stop but takes a much longer time and distance to stop and has put me in situations where I would hit a ditch or just wont be able to slow down in safe distance and time because the ABS will not allow the brakes pads to catch on to the brake rotor by blocking the pressure from the calipers (which is basically what ABS does).

Like the image you posted in the previous post from 2013. The ABS does work on the road, as soon as it detects the tyres are locked the ABS kicks in and starts applying the pressure on the calipers in a PULSATING manner instead of a CONSTANT manner and doing so gives that lock-release-lock-release effect. But this effect helps the car to stop on the road in a shorter distance because ofcourse on the road when tyres lock, they slip and slide where as on the sand when the tyres lock they dont slip or slide as much as compared locked tyres on roads, they catch on to the sand and dig in, resulting in a faster stop in the sand and I understand there is no one better to know that than you. I made the decision to get an R50 after seeing your videos in the sand.

Hope to drive with you some day.
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you.

I know very well how ABS works. My whole explanation is that when you are descending and by sudden there is an obstacle in front of you, you may turn your steering left or right and hit fully the brakes (panicking in in everybody's nature), which are then blocked and the car starts to slip with gravity straight down, but already slipping sideways. I was referring more to the second picture in that post.
I saw few rollovers, where this situation was the case of an accident.